Onslaught Is Hard
Hail all,

I've been playing a lot of Path of Exile recently, mainly in the Onslaught league. Before Onslaught started back in June I greatly enjoyed my time in Hardcore. Had a bunch of 70s and one that reached 82. While it was hard, I felt like it was bearable after a bit of grinding. Onslaught on the other hand, I personally feel pushes the Hardcore play style a bit too extreme. All monsters in Onslaught receive the following bonus:

20% increased Monster Movement Speed
20% increased Monster Attack Speed
20% increased Monster Cast Speed

Which sounds fairly tough, but when you combine it with magic or rare monsters that have added damage or similar bonuses, and then on top of that maps that have monster bonuses as well, it's absolutely bonkers! I'm up to about ten retired characters, but can't quite progress comfortably. I haven't died yet, but I've come really close, even with builds that had very high defenses.

The problem I find is that you have to stack defense too much, and that your offense gets severely hindered. The most efficient way I saw to progress is to play a balanced defense/offense character and join a full group so you're not the sole target. Unfortunately I do not find large group play that fun, it's too messy, cluttered, and frantic for my tastes.

With that I'll probably take a break from Onslaught for a while. The good part is that eventually my characters will drop down to Hardcore league, so until then I'll probably be playing Standard/Anarchy. Here's a quick tally of some of my higher lvl onslaught chars:

Lvl 60 2H Infernal Blow (Ele reflect hurt and not enough defenses)
Lvl 74 Freeze Pulse Shadow (Not enough damage)
Lvl 60 Duelist high damage Lightning Arrow (not enough defenses)
Lvl 60 Tanky Lightning Arrow Ranger (not enough damage)
Lvl 76 Ethereal Knives Tank (not enough damage)
Lvl 65 Firestorm / Fireball Witch (not enough damage)
Yeah, I took a break after it seemed that Onslaught was Laz's brainchild w/o his usual finesse. It's a global 4th level HM charm that with stacking mods/maps makes things impossible for characters that aren't taking advantage of abusive mechanics (and more to the point aren't *fun*).
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.