Path of Exile
(06-07-2013, 06:03 AM)MonTy Wrote: Pretty normal for your first character. She can be a tough fight as each of her forms are pretty deadly and each one does different types of elemental damage. You'll want at least 30 res of each type (Fire, Light, Cold). I'd favor fire as you can't quite run away from that. Even with Max resistances her Ice form is deadly. Just run away or stand behind the closest pillar. When she returns to her normal form is when you should go all out in damage. Another tip is to actually kill her portals, I prefer to stack up on Fire Res and let her take the fire ones, but to always kill the ice portals.

Hmm. Maybe I'm missing something then, or maybe it's just because I'm a ranger and I've only really fought her while keeping her at the edge of my screen, but I've never seen any secondary forms. Also never seen a portal. The only thing I've seen from her is the Lightning. She fires ball lightning at me and rains it down on my head.

Quote:How much life do you have? I'd recommend picking up life nodes first, then focus on damage and crit. You'll want at least six or seven hundred life with 30 resist all at minimum (I'm trying to factor into the new reduced life totals. I used to have around 900 life at Piety, or more, and 50+ res).

I'm probably sitting a bit too low on health at the moment. Just shy of 400. But like I said, up until this point I've had no use for it. Killing things faster has always been a much stronger defense. It's possible that it's also just an issue with having crap gear and no consistent way of upgrading it. [/quote]
Quote:Hmm. Maybe I'm missing something then, or maybe it's just because I'm a ranger and I've only really fought her while keeping her at the edge of my screen, but I've never seen any secondary forms. Also never seen a portal. The only thing I've seen from her is the Lightning. She fires ball lightning at me and rains it down on my head.

You're not missing anything.

[MINOR SPOLIER FOLLOWS]

This is the first encounter with Piety, and she will flee the battle. In this encounter she will only use Lightning, so yes, that is what you will need defense against. I haven't gone up against her at that level with a Ranger, but it shouldn't be that difficult a fight. Slightly harder than monsters leading up to her, but not crazily so.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
(06-07-2013, 10:46 PM)LennyLen Wrote: You're not missing anything.

[MINOR SPOLIER FOLLOWS]

I just re-fought her and she did flee the fight this time. At about 40% health. Every previous encounter I've had against her I got her down to 10-20% health and she never ran away. I was confused this time when she portaled out. Was thinking "Maybe this is the portal thing Monty was talking about."

On a different note, just after killing her I ended up orbing a bow up to rare and it more than doubles my dps. hrmm.
(06-07-2013, 10:46 PM)LennyLen Wrote: You're not missing anything.

Yea I misunderstood where Chesspiece_face was in the game. Thanks Len for correcting me there.

The new Onslaught and Anarchy leagues start in about an hour and a half. I'm excited for the fresh inventory and economy reset. Going to play a few characters who will feed into my main spec, a Cold Caster (Freezing Pulse/Ice Spear).
Just for those who haven't tried it yet, the new anarchy league is FANTASTIC. I'm 21 and playing a ranger. I know Monty is as well. New league, new economy, and if you get lucky, you might just find a rogue exile to kill. I haven't yet, but I have heard the drops are great.

So far, I haven't traded for anything, but I've made 2 great sales. I sold a lightning arrow gem for 2 fusings (the skill has never enticed me), and a low level unique dagger for 3 chaos/1 blessed. I'm not sure if ill buy anything, as it has been a completely new challenge going at it with found gear.

At this point my plan is to recreate my ranger in this league, I'm just not sure if ill duplicate the tree completely point for point yet. I'm a little worried about selling out to evasion and acrobatics, but we'll sell how it goes.

If people want to group, and I'm on, I'm game. I just finished chamber of sins earlier, and will be hitting the cemetery/ lchurch next.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
I've played a bit more now and ever since I was able to get Piety to actually flee the fight the game is back to being a breeze. I've just got to act 2 in Cruel with no problems what-so-ever. Pretty much ended up face tanking both Piety at the end of normal and Merveil at the end of Act 1 Cruel.

This is the revised end game build I am looking at now: Complete Build

I have a lot of options to move stuff around depending on how I feel my Crit/Evade/health are as I progress. Lots of options for all of them in direct connection to my tree that I can swap between if I feel I need to deviate.

This is where I am now: Current Build

Smooth sailing apart from these horrendous desyncs. With the state the game is in now regarding that I would never bother playing Hardcore. It just feels too unstable.
(06-09-2013, 08:07 PM)Chesspiece_face Wrote: I've played a bit more now and ever since I was able to get Piety to actually flee the fight the game is back to being a breeze. I've just got to act 2 in Cruel with no problems what-so-ever. Pretty much ended up face tanking both Piety at the end of normal and Merveil at the end of Act 1 Cruel.

Finally I have gotten my main character into cruel.
I managed to get the key from the ground after killing piety, just before the game crashed again. Let's hope the first two acts in cruel are a bit more stable again.
I have settled in on what I think my long term goal for my Anarchy Ranger is going to be:

My Build

Like my other ranger, I'm going to be focused on Frenzy. Both normal, and LMP'd. Right now, since I don't have two, I'm using an ROA. Part of me just wants to continue using ROA for AoE. I'm not sure though. I went a long time without dying, and then died to desync in the Pyramid. Then I get to sarn, and I'm cruising around looking for the girl, and I run into 2 of the carrion things, both Rare, moth LMP, and they just roasted me. Twice.

So, I guess I'm going to slow down a little. i think I had too much confidence, and was just plowing ahead too fast.

I am a little nervous about high end content, and charging type mobs. We'll see how it works out at that point.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Picked up the game again this week, was enjoying Onslaught until I ran into one of those niggling little issues I have with POE again. Had to go take care of my son quickly, hit esc and by the time I came back, despite leaving a cleared screen I was dead. I just can't see playing until there is a pause feature for solo play.
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Quote:I just can't see playing until there is a pause feature for solo play.

That's not likely to be something that will ever happen. Monsters have a very wide movement range, so make sure you have cleared everything in the vicinity before leaving your character alone.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
(06-11-2013, 06:39 AM)LennyLen Wrote:
Quote:I just can't see playing until there is a pause feature for solo play.

That's not likely to be something that will ever happen. Monsters have a very wide movement range, so make sure you have cleared everything in the vicinity before leaving your character alone.

This. Unless the explosions are actually shaking the building or the blood is squirting out, I run back one to two screens of cleared area. This generally keeps my toon safe, only having been discovered anyways a couple times in all the time I've played, and I've left games "paused" for hours, even a couple days.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(06-11-2013, 06:39 AM)LennyLen Wrote: That's not likely to be something that will ever happen.
You're right, and it's unfortunate for me, because ARPG's have always been a solo adventure for me, since D1. Even though I have fun playing with friends, it's just not how I prefer to play the genre and because of this, I treat them as quick'n'dirty play sessions where interruptions are more likely. In last night's case, my son was going to bed, smacked his nose and blood started spurting everywhere, it was just habit that <esc> was even smacked. I'd alt+f4 out, but that appears to be disabled.

(06-11-2013, 06:39 AM)LennyLen Wrote: Monsters have a very wide movement range, so make sure you have cleared everything in the vicinity before leaving your character alone.
I've noticed this often and that's a plus for the gameplay as 'adds' are a frequent occurrence and add challenge.
With the new Recipe for flasks, what are your feelings towards them? I'm curious what other people think. I've felt almost obligated to pick up any flasks that drop that are "current" level, so that I can make sure I'm ready for the next level of flasks.

I've not only noticed a reduction in the rate of flasks, but at least in anarchy, I just don't see as many "current" flasks on the vendors, leaving me working the sales to make sure that I've got good flasks.

I've also noticed, since I've not had the "stash" of my other characters to fall back on, that I've needed to "craft" my flasks, instead of just running with generic flasks.
Good change, especially for new leagues in my opinion. Having an incentive to pick them up if you need the next tier or leave them if you already have some banked is a great thing. Means less shopping and more playing and more survival for the most part.
(06-11-2013, 12:44 PM)Frag Wrote: it was just habit that <esc> was even smacked. I'd alt+f4 out, but that appears to be disabled.

If you're OK with alt+f4'ing out of the game, then essentially the same is an <esc>+click away. Hit <esc> and click "exit to login" or "exit path of exile". Immediate exit. Even a fast portal and jump to town will keep your toon alive (but lose the current instance in 8 or 15 minutes).
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(06-11-2013, 02:52 PM)shoju Wrote: With the new Recipe for flasks, what are your feelings towards them? I'm curious what other people think. I've felt almost obligated to pick up any flasks that drop that are "current" level, so that I can make sure I'm ready for the next level of flasks.

I've not only noticed a reduction in the rate of flasks, but at least in anarchy, I just don't see as many "current" flasks on the vendors, leaving me working the sales to make sure that I've got good flasks.

I've also noticed, since I've not had the "stash" of my other characters to fall back on, that I've needed to "craft" my flasks, instead of just running with generic flasks.

So what is a good flask? I found one that gives you 4000 defense for 6 seconds (my character has around 1500 defense now) so this seems nice.....I have never used it though.
Granite Flasks (which now only give 3000) are good. They are really good flasks actually. You will also find resistance flasks, which are pretty nice, Especially Amethyst (Chaos) Flasks.

The top of the "line" flask in game is the Hallowed Flask. There is nothing that offers more Health / Mana than those flasks. From there, it's all about rolling well when crafting them.

I normally save my Glassblower's Baubles until I get to Hallowed Flasks, and I will then Quality them up and then roll them.

I have found the weakness of Evasion and Acrobatics. It's called bad gear + no Life gain on Hit / Leech. I didn't notice it on my standard league ranger, as I was always sporting great hand me downs. But Lunaris 2 / 3 (Kole on 2, everything on 3) was just swarming and destroying me.

I'm hoping to track down those gems quick, so I can keep progressing, but I'm a little worried if I'm already having problems. Fetid Pool is going to be a massacre if this is what I'm looking at.
(06-11-2013, 05:51 PM)LochnarITB Wrote: If you're OK with alt+f4'ing out of the game, then essentially the same is an <esc>+click away. Hit <esc> and click "exit to login" or "exit path of exile". Immediate exit. Even a fast portal and jump to town will keep your toon alive (but lose the current instance in 8 or 15 minutes).
Kind of true, but alt+f4 is nothing like button+mouse move+mouse click, there's at least .3-.4s of difference and more than that, it's not something I'm used to. I would do that in D2, but the target area was much larger to click on in the middle of the screen. There's no such thing as a fast portal, as that takes opening my inventory and right-clicking on the portal, then clicking on the portal itself. I have to turn my head quite often anymore, as I'm typically sneaking in a quick 45m or so when my son is napping, or wife & son are napping. I'm just going to shut up as this is just sounding like whining, and given how many Onslaught characters I've now killed, it appears I'm not good enough to play it anyway.
Patch 0.011.0D released. Much needed increase to the frequency of Anarchy Exiles. They're really a lot of fun, semi-challenging, and feel like a loot pinata!

Frag, sorry to hear about the afk deaths. I agree they need to implement a pause feature but I'm afraid such a feature would be far down the line. It's awesome seeing your name in these posts though! Hope to see you around more, whether it be on the forums or in-game. I hope all else is well.

I'm tempted to start an Onslaught character. Loving my Summoner in Anarchy though. They take a lot of work and patience to level up as, but when once the build clicks it's epic. Here's my current build. I focus on fire damage from my minions and arc with ele proliferation for shock stacks, while the passive elemental equilibrium reduces their fire resistances. It's working out well. Once gear improves I plan to make my way down the right side of the tree to get Iron Reflexes. ES character with Armor and a ton of minions? Hell yeah!
Maybe I might see a rogue exile now. I'm in A1 Cruel, just hit the prison, and I've yet to see one.

Your build looks similar to mine so far, but from here, it looks like you are diverging a fair bit. I'm fairly curious to see how it works out for you.