I need reassurance!
I'm looking for a substitue for WowAce Updater and I understand that this may be a solution.
FEAR STRIKES MY HEART!

Since the keylogging debacle, I've been wary of "new" stuff for WoW.

Input?
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
Quote:I'm looking for a substitue for WowAce Updater and I understand that this may be a solution.
FEAR STRIKES MY HEART!

Since the keylogging debacle, I've been wary of "new" stuff for WoW.

Input?

At least you have an option. They don't even support my platform (Mac PPC), and said they wouldn't, so I'm back to manual update. I'll be dumping tons of Ace addons that I used because they were easy to update, even though they weren't always quite as good as the original things they were similar to.

(To clarify, I didn't have WAU, but I had an updater that worked for me, using svn and perl, but I can't use it now)

--Mav
WoWMatrix is clean, legit, and works well, from what I hear. The problem comes from the fact that WowInterface.com & Curse.com don't like them because they allow folks to update their addons from those sites without viewing ads. So in the future you may find that Curse & WowInterface do some back-end changes to prevent WoWMatrix from updating. Which puts you back in the same boat you're in now.:)

This whole thing is a great incentive for me to lessen the number of addons I use, honestly. Mostly because WowACEUpdater has made me lazy.:)
I just changed over to WoWMatrix last night, after reading about it on EJ.

It is simple to use and a clean program.

As for lessening my addons? I don't see that happening. I'd update them manually first. Addons add a lot to the game if you don't mind a minor amount of time updating after major patches.
Jormuttar is Soo Fat...
Quote:WThe problem comes from the fact that WowInterface.com & Curse.com don't like them because they allow folks to update their addons from those sites without viewing ads. So in the future you may find that Curse & WowInterface do some back-end changes to prevent WoWMatrix from updating. Which puts you back in the same boat you're in now.:)

Yeah. Right now I'm skating by until 3.0 hits. Get on the beta or PTR and tweak your UI there with manual downloads so that you're ready for the patch itself. I'm using it as a chance to reduce my addon load. Also, not having WoWAceUpdater anymore basically makes running libraries seperately as an impossible pain in the ass. So I recommend going back to embedded.

Curse/WoWAce completely failed here. They essentially promised the Curse updater would be a viable replacement (even if you had to pay for one-click updates), then gave an updater that runs in the background (wtf?) and isn't finished yet.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quote:Yeah. Right now I'm skating by until 3.0 hits. Get on the beta or PTR and tweak your UI there with manual downloads so that you're ready for the patch itself. I'm using it as a chance to reduce my addon load. Also, not having WoWAceUpdater anymore basically makes running libraries seperately as an impossible pain in the ass. So I recommend going back to embedded.

I also went back to embedded libraries (hence my deletion of all my addons and doing a complete refresh using wowmatrix).

Of note, however, is that the wowmatrix client does support non-embedded mode. They call it installing the libraries as stand-alone addons, or something like that, in the settings.

I plan on stepping onto the PTR and manually installing beta compatable versions of my key addons as well, though. Shouldn't take long - I can skip the addons that enhance the game but aren't essential, for now.
Jormuttar is Soo Fat...
Quote:I also went back to embedded libraries (hence my deletion of all my addons and doing a complete refresh using wowmatrix).

Of note, however, is that the wowmatrix client does support non-embedded mode. They call it installing the libraries as stand-alone addons, or something like that, in the settings.

I plan on stepping onto the PTR and manually installing beta compatable versions of my key addons as well, though. Shouldn't take long - I can skip the addons that enhance the game but aren't essential, for now.

Yeah, come patch day I'll wipe out all the non-essentials and put in the important stuff. I'll decide what to add later.
--Mav
Quote:

Yeah. Right now I'm skating by until 3.0 hits. Get on the beta or PTR and tweak your UI there with manual downloads so that you're ready for the patch itself. I'm using it as a chance to reduce my addon load. Also, not having WoWAceUpdater anymore basically makes running libraries seperately as an impossible pain in the ass. So I recommend going back to embedded.

Curse/WoWAce completely failed here. They essentially promised the Curse updater would be a viable replacement (even if you had to pay for one-click updates), then gave an updater that runs in the background (wtf?) and isn't finished yet.

Are you talking about the old !!!!Stand Alone Libraries!!!! from Wow Ace? God, I miss those. Fewer things in my add on directories.

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
Thank you all for your input. Each time we have a big patch, I try to stip down to the basic Blizz interface and start over with my add ons and each time I have fewer and fewer. I have a lot of confidence in Blizzard to add the things most people want and need to the interface, but I also know that they will habitually get it aobut 1/3 right. (Like their Scrolling Combat Text that can't be repositioned or sized.) One of these days, Man!

Glad to know that Wowmatrix is safe in your books.

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
Since the Curse client deserves just that, curses, I took a look at this. So far, I only had it do a scan but not update. Just doing that raised a question. It was aware of most, but not all, of my mods. My concern is that it shows almost every one of those as needing to be updated. Most of those show my version as something like 80234 and theirs as 80234.6. Where are they getting these decimal versions? If I go to the major sites, I don't see them. Are authors submitting incremental revisions to them and, if so, where would I go to report introduced bugs? There are also a few that show my version as something like 2.1.0 and theirs as 74569.3. How do I know that should really be updated?

I'm going to give it a go at updating (after making a copy of WTF) and see how it goes. I admit that I have quite a few addons, and that WAU made it probably too easy to update most of them, but I don't think any of them (other than Bejeweled;)) are frivolous. They all provide a function that Blizzard either did not or provided a piss poor version of. They all enhance my daily gaming. If worse comes to worse, I will have to do manual updates, as I had prior to WAU, but I will do it less frequently.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
I've been using WUU pretty successfully, it didn't update one or two addons (bejewled and some part of auctioneer but they were easy enough to fix manually or ignore for 3.0.8)

WUU

Quote:Since the Curse client deserves just that, curses, I took a look at this. So far, I only had it do a scan but not update. Just doing that raised a question. It was aware of most, but not all, of my mods. My concern is that it shows almost every one of those as needing to be updated. Most of those show my version as something like 80234 and theirs as 80234.6. Where are they getting these decimal versions? If I go to the major sites, I don't see them. Are authors submitting incremental revisions to them and, if so, where would I go to report introduced bugs? There are also a few that show my version as something like 2.1.0 and theirs as 74569.3. How do I know that should really be updated?

I'm going to give it a go at updating (after making a copy of WTF) and see how it goes. I admit that I have quite a few addons, and that WAU made it probably too easy to update most of them, but I don't think any of them (other than Bejeweled;)) are frivolous. They all provide a function that Blizzard either did not or provided a piss poor version of. They all enhance my daily gaming. If worse comes to worse, I will have to do manual updates, as I had prior to WAU, but I will do it less frequently.