The Story of Luddite, a HC/No AH/No Twink Run
Prelude: I've stated in a few posts that 1.04/1.05 have changed the game enough that it is viable to not use the Auction House to get far into this game. It's time to stop theorizing and see how this really works. And it'll be in hardcore, because I'm that arrogant/stupid

Luddite was a simple man. He had no need for the excesses of life and the collection of currency seemed like a waste of time. Why bother working a dead end job and work to appease others when you could gather and create your own things for your own livelihood? When it comes to fighting, it feels much better to rely on one's own strength and fortune. So it was only natural that when the demons of Hell returned, that he had one solution to rid the world of this inconvenience. Slay each and every one of them so he could finally have a good night's sleep.

As he set off, his fellow Barbarians informed him of a powerful new technology known as the Auction House. With it, it could generate weapons and armor of incredible power provided he could pay. But that was not for him. What good is it to slay the enemy with equipment that has been tainted for others. He resolved to only use items that his loyal Blacksmith forged, items he found, and if he were to shop, to only shop local. Because that's just the way he was.

"Hah, might as well rename yourself to Hipster then!" the Barbarians scoffed, but their words had no effect on him. Luddite was a pretentious enough name anyways. And so he set off...

The previous owner, a kind Wizard, provided him with quite a fortune of 500,000 gold. But since Luddite knew that these proceeds were from the excesses of the Auction House, that he would have no need for it.

[Image: UkoCC.jpg?2]

Restriction: I took this screenshot to note how much gold I had at time of creation. Thus, I must not let the bank fall below 514,758 gold

After killing a few zombies, Luddite managed to learn to summon a hammer out of nowhere. He assumed it was a gift from the gods for his determination. Then a bat dropped a much higher quality shield then he had. One wonders what logic there is there with that happening, but he did not care.

[Image: lU02G.jpg]

A pointed Javelin drops as well, but he preferred the extra experience.
[Image: LbVfJ.jpg]

As fortune would smile, he locates a club that has both damage and experience just before rescuing Cain.

[Image: uWgAv.jpg?1]

There were a few close calls, and Luddite's potion stock was running low. Fortunately, his health problems would be solved for now with another weapon drop

[Image: Du2vh.jpg]

Eventually Luddite would come across a wandering warrior, Kormac, that would join him. They both had a similar mindset of simplicity and got along promptly. Unfortunately, Kormac proved utterly worthless against the Skeleton King which almost nearly killed both of them had he not ran around waiting for his potions and rend to take effect. The Undead King drops a Crossbow that is of no use to Luddite, so he takes it to the blacksmith who forges a subtle essence. And some apprentice boots were forged for good use. Now he would be able to run from overwhelming hordes if need be, though it really shouldn't.

[Image: b7i3B.jpg]

Note: Yes, I realize a problem is that the Blacksmith is account wide, but I simply won't be bothered to account for the gold it takes to level the BS. Rest assured, I'll only be crafting level appropriate things regardless.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
(11-07-2012, 10:06 PM)Archon_Wing Wrote: Note: Yes, I realize a problem is that the Blacksmith is account wide, but I simply won't be bothered to account for the gold it takes to level the BS. Rest assured, I'll only be crafting level appropriate things regardless.

While I think it appropriate to not fuss over having a trained blacksmith, there is a small twist on your situation. You seem to have the super deluxe blacksmith. Mine never puts increased movement speed on the boots he makes! Tongue

Good luck and have fun. I could never handle HC but I am otherwise running the Lochnarmy™ as self sufficient as well.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(11-08-2012, 01:24 AM)LochnarITB Wrote:
(11-07-2012, 10:06 PM)Archon_Wing Wrote: Note: Yes, I realize a problem is that the Blacksmith is account wide, but I simply won't be bothered to account for the gold it takes to level the BS. Rest assured, I'll only be crafting level appropriate things regardless.

While I think it appropriate to not fuss over having a trained blacksmith, there is a small twist on your situation. You seem to have the super deluxe blacksmith. Mine never puts increased movement speed on the boots he makes! Tongue

Good luck and have fun. I could never handle HC but I am otherwise running the Lochnarmy™ as self sufficient as well.

It's rare indeed even with found boots. He usually likes to create boots with int (unless you actually need it.) :p Honestly I would have been happy with just strength or armor.

Boots I have to admit are a sketchy proposition since movement speed seems to be rare. So I got lucky there as movement speed is a huge boon at this point. Chances are that I will be holding on to these boots for the sake of movement for a long time. You just can't go back once you've got movement speed. You just can't.

Monster Power is definitely a great addition. Without it, I would never bother with something like this. But even on Monster Power 3, Leoric almost cleaved my Barb's head off, so it's a bit exciting.

Also, I have no idea how to play Barbs (this is my highest level barb, at 10), so any suggestion is welcome. I think my main goal will be to head to Act 3 Crater asap and hope to get some yellows from there.
(11-08-2012, 02:33 AM)Archon_Wing Wrote: Monster Power is definitely a great addition. Without it, I would never bother with something like this. But even on Monster Power 3, Leoric almost cleaved my Barb's head off, so it's a bit exciting.

I'm looking forward to Luddite's adventures. I absolutely love Monster Power. I have been wanting to do some hardcore, but know I lack the mentality (I'm lazy and a bad player).

So to train myself I started a barb, HC, MP10. Totally self sufficient as I had no real hardcore presence (and deleted the ones I did have and all the stuff in my stash). I died (carelessly) at 15. But the early game is fun and exciting with MP10. Great addition by Blizzard.
Mp10 would be really hard on hardcore. Enemies like the Skeleton King hit really hard and you have no way of healing besides potions. In non-hardcore normal, Rakanoth one shot my DH. :S

Maybe I should get some 5 LOH weapon. :p
(11-08-2012, 08:31 PM)Archon_Wing Wrote: Mp10 would be really hard on hardcore. Enemies like the Skeleton King hit really hard and you have no way of healing besides potions. In non-hardcore normal, Rakanoth one shot my DH. :S

I absolutely think you should do this at MP10. It's very doable. You'll be up a few levels (in stats, abilities, and with the blacksmith, in gear) on the monsters. By the time an MP10 untwinked HC char gets to Leoric, the Templar should be well past L10 and using his HoT on you. A couple of those +(2-4) damage rings from the fence and you'll be having a blast.

Anyhow, I've done this with a Wizard and a Monk (admittedly twinking some triangular gems in Act II) and it's awesome. Things can get a bit ugly in Act IV - be careful there!

Getting all the way through Nightmare on HC-no-AH-MP10 would be hard. I wussed out to MP5.
(11-08-2012, 08:31 PM)Archon_Wing Wrote: Mp10 would be really hard on hardcore. Enemies like the Skeleton King hit really hard and you have no way of healing besides potions. In non-hardcore normal, Rakanoth one shot my DH. :S

Huh the SK for a barb should be no big deal. All the little skeletons he summon make for easy globes, and Rend is fantastic (you don't have to take hits from him).
He was taking like half my life off with his attack. I suppose I don't have to take hits from him, but yea. ;p
(11-09-2012, 11:47 PM)Archon_Wing Wrote: I suppose I don't have to take hits from him, but yea. ;p

Aha! So I'm not the only one that either thinks "I can get one more hit in!" or "I can totally tank that!" and gets his behind handed to him regularly? I'm almost over not running away out of a false sense honour. Almost.

take care
Tarabulus

P.S.: Playing Softcore only, if you had to wonder Tongue
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
(11-10-2012, 05:14 PM)NuurAbSaal Wrote:
(11-09-2012, 11:47 PM)Archon_Wing Wrote: I suppose I don't have to take hits from him, but yea. ;p

Aha! So I'm not the only one that either thinks "I can get one more hit in!" or "I can totally tank that!" and gets his behind handed to him regularly? I'm almost over not running away out of a false sense honour. Almost.

take care
Tarabulus

P.S.: Playing Softcore only, if you had to wonder Tongue

I believe Barbarians are real men and thus should not run like a coward from anything.*

*Excluding arcane beams, molten, frozen and desecrator
Never retreat! But, yes, sometimes you must advance away from the enemy.
(11-09-2012, 11:47 PM)Archon_Wing Wrote: He was taking like half my life off with his attack. I suppose I don't have to take hits from him, but yea. ;p

Don't turn your nose up at +vit gear either. My second barb had a few scary moments when I took on Odeg the Keywarden. He packed a punch on MP10.
These days, you can upgrade crafting materials at the jewler and blacksmith. Does that mean I can get Tomes of Secrets/Exquisite Essence before Inferno?

Also, thankfully I took screenshots at the beginning and end of that short run, since some of the HCAH stuff moved on the wizard. Luddite should be about 8343 gold.

Sadly, lag has put this project on to a halt.