Patch 1.05 Preview
Playing on the PTR and it feels like a whole new game. Default difficulty of Inferno is many times easier. My hardcore wizard just outside the grasp of current Act 3 Inferno is having no troubles clearing champ packs in the PTR realm. Seems like we'll need to increase monster power level for a challenge, so that's what I did. Increased the power level to 10 and went back to Act 1 Inferno. Took me over 2 minutes of constant frost nova+meteor to kill the first pack of 4-5 zombies. Couldn't let them get more than two hits on me or I was toast.

Item drops are also significantly increased in Inferno. Most of the items I find in Act 3 are lvl 60+ now, and with much beefier modifiers. Going to have to try and figure out this Inferno Machine business and take it from there.
(09-22-2012, 12:42 AM)MonTy Wrote: Seems like we'll need to increase monster power level for a challenge, so that's what I did. Increased the power level to 10 and went back to Act 1 Inferno. Took me over 2 minutes of constant frost nova+meteor to kill the first pack of 4-5 zombies. Couldn't let them get more than two hits on me or I was toast.

Seems pretty good, then. Pick your own difficulty.
--Mav
The patch description does sound nice. I just tried out the 1.0.4 patch and so far I'm really liking those changes. I'm looking forward to the 1.0.5 patch. It's interesting that they haven't released the PvP patch, yet, though. They've been talking about releasing that from the beginning.
The 1.05 barb is a beast. Every time I hit something for 600k damage with Hammer of the Ancients I have to urge to jump out of my chair and scream "hammer time."

Items are better now too. Far fewer trash rares, and I really like the idea of tying affix quality to monster level. Harder monsters => better loot, and it means that those ilvl 61 and 62 weapons have the chance to roll something top tier.

Monster power is nice too. Haven't tried the really high levels of MP, but MP 2 feels about the same as old 1.04 inferno (enemies hit as hard and have a bit more health).
(09-24-2012, 07:40 PM)MongoJerry Wrote: The patch description does sound nice. I just tried out the 1.0.4 patch and so far I'm really liking those changes. I'm looking forward to the 1.0.5 patch. It's interesting that they haven't released the PvP patch, yet, though. They've been talking about releasing that from the beginning.

I'm looking at the PvP patch like the player housing patch of WoW.

*while still in beta* "We'll get it to you shortly after release." *Patches come and go* We're still working on it! *expansion comes out* *more patches come out* *more expansions come out* *yet more patches come out* Still no player housing in WoW. Really not holding my breath for PvP in D3.
Intolerant monkey.
I was finally able to get onto the PTR for a few minutes to play around with monster difficulty. Set it to 4 and went to act 3 to see how much of a difference it made. It was easily doable, but the increase in health on the enemies was definitely noticeable. For my present WD I think 4 or 5 is going to be as high as I go until I can get some more damage.

During my short time testing I came across my first Key-Boss which was very fun! Nothing like finding a Ice Morlu Caster that drops frozen orbs and icy grasp of the dead (complete with Rain of Corpses).

But of all the things I noticed while playing the biggest unannounced change was that the fireball animation on the Winged Moloks are now totally visible. About time! Now if only they will fix the targeting mouse-over for the oil vats on the keep walls so that they don't take up half the screen and my two biggest sources of annoyance deaths in this act will be rectified.
Wonder what's gonna happen to monks, that two of their passives got nerfed and the rest of their passives save OWE are still crappy. Are they gonna be stuck to MP0?
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
(09-27-2012, 07:21 PM)Archon_Wing Wrote: Wonder what's gonna happen to monks, that two of their passives got nerfed and the rest of their passives save OWE are still crappy. Are they gonna be stuck to MP0?

There will probably be a lot of bitching and moaning for the first few weeks but after people settle in and make some minor adjustments to their build and playstyle I think Monks will be fine. The biggest thing that will probably keep Monks up to speed is the changes to CC reduction. All the different CC chances the Monk has on their abilities could end up being extremely strong. Add that to upwards of 4 seconds of immunity and you have a character that has serious fight control.

We'll see though.
(09-27-2012, 07:21 PM)Archon_Wing Wrote: Wonder what's gonna happen to monks, that two of their passives got nerfed and the rest of their passives save OWE are still crappy. Are they gonna be stuck to MP0?

I talked to an elite player that I sometimes game with (note that I am *not* in that category) and she indicated that a monk with good life on hit can play MP10. Meanwhile her max (she plays DH) was about MP5 to avoid dying too many times. And I've played with one of her monk friends; I doubt he'll have any trouble on MP10-but he's running around with 150K DPS, so he's what they had in mind for MP10, I imagine. Meanwhile my monk is at 19k DPS and will probably only manage MP1, Act 1. (I mainly play WD, though.)

-Aahzmadius
Aahzmadius#1570
Battletag: Aahzmadius#1570

B.net profile: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Aahzm...570/career
Sept. 27th Updates to 1.0.5 PRT: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7390518/...-9_27_2012 - all new changes in red.

"The chance for Legendary and set items to drop has been doubled"
(09-28-2012, 07:19 PM)MonTy Wrote: Sept. 27th Updates to 1.0.5 PRT: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7390518/...-9_27_2012 - all new changes in red.

"The chance for Legendary and set items to drop has been doubled"

Uh, oh. The proc rates on Meteor and Spectral Blades has been reduced by a huge amount in this update. I don't know how effective crit/meteor builds are going to be after this.
I posted about my feedback on the recent changes in the wizard thread.

But item drops are amazing in 1.0.5. Finding more legendary and set items in less than two hours of play, than over 30 hours in 1.0.4. Finding a ton of better rares as well (love seeing all those ilvl 61-63 rares).
I don't get why they hate wizards so much. If the CC from F nova is too much, then the skill itself should be adjusted or something. But right now, they're just following whatever wizard skill is being used too much and nerfing it. Why does everything have to be nerfed by such large percentages?

It's not like they're that strong, anyways.

Anyhow, tried PTR for a little, My monk does mp3 Act 3 even though it takes a bit, and my wizard can only do mp0 Act 1, since monster power buffs act 1 the most. Also health globe bonus affects potions now, so that also helps with many problems.
As predicted this is exactly what normal needed. MP 3 makes a moderate challenge for me in act 1 while learning a totally new class. On the other hand I can see myself grinding the high levels again towards handling MP 10 and putting together the machine stuff. Looking to be a great patch.
I think another bonus is that certain survival stats will be less mandatory in inferno. With monsters doing less damage and taking less compared to inferno at release, it is much less needed to be able to sustain your health. Life on Hit is a rather restrictive mod on item, since it appears on so little slots so there will be more flexibility.
(10-08-2012, 08:19 PM)Archon_Wing Wrote: I think another bonus is that certain survival stats will be less mandatory in inferno.

Oh that's for certain. After playing Inferno on PTR with MP0, I'm in full belief that a lot more builds will be able to clear Inferno. It really opens up some of the classes. I look forward to trying out some of the other passive skills as well.
The enchantress armor buff being reduced from 15% to 5% seems awfully severe. Sure, monsters will do less damage, but these nerfs do add up a lot.
(10-11-2012, 07:14 PM)Archon_Wing Wrote: The enchantress armor buff being reduced from 15% to 5% seems awfully severe. Sure, monsters will do less damage, but these nerfs do add up a lot.

Wow, I hadn't heard about that. That is pretty severe. I guess they want to make the Scoundrel and Templar more effective options. That does make me think about using the Scoundrel with my Critical Mass wizard.
(10-12-2012, 12:25 AM)MongoJerry Wrote: Wow, I hadn't heard about that. That is pretty severe. I guess they want to make the Scoundrel and Templar more effective options. That does make me think about using the Scoundrel with my Critical Mass wizard.

I've actually swapped to the Scoundrel a while back on my Witch Doctor. With decent attack speed on him and a reasonable %knockback Windfury he's got some good control abilities (he's saved my butt countless times from errant Fantatics). And the 10% damage buff with upwards of 50% up-time is HUGE. Adding his buff on top of my other WD buffs equates to an additional 10k damage.
Quick update since I posted something earlier: the elite monk I mentioned hates the nerf to Seize the Initiative and has switched to playing a barbarian. Dude had over 150k DPS, so maybe the monk does get gimped too much. Now I'm wondering since the monk is what I use to farm Act 3 instead of my MF WD (monk has much better survivability). Oh well-I still can't wait to try out 1.05. Wait, I guess I can since I've never been on the PTR. Smile
Battletag: Aahzmadius#1570

B.net profile: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Aahzm...570/career