Minion-based soloing builds are awesome in Inferno difficulty.
1.04 makes pets very viable in Inferno. I was playing around with this build in Act 1 Inferno and had massive success. The Garg basically never dies. Zombie Dogs rarely die, even versus champ/elite packs. I almost always had 4-5 dudes tanking for me at all times (including the Templar).

My pets have more sustainability than I do. When I tried Inferno Butcher I got caught in a bad fire spot and died, but all of my dogs and my garg outlived me even though they were all standing on the same fire spot that I was.
How is the damage from the dogs now? I ask not because I care in regard to dps, but because you are using Leeching Beasts and so I wonder how much healing happens from that in this patch. I'm thinking about giving Life Link a try on the HC WD I'm leveling. 10% damage not getting through to me seems like it could be good as long as it won't make the dogs too squishy. It's possible the healing from Leeching Beasts is more than would be absorbed by Life Link though.
Me and my new improved 1.04 pets made it through all of Act III and Act IV and are now camped at the Pinnacle of Heaven. I made a few attempts on Diablo and I think he's borderline do-able with my current gear, but so far I haven't managed to take him down.

I tried using Leeching Beasts for a while, but if there was any healing going on it wasn't enough to be noticeable. I'm currently using Rabid Dogs, but I may switch over to Final Gift (with Sacrifice, this is probably the most effective healing you can get from the dogs).
(08-23-2012, 03:50 PM)Jaffa Tamarin Wrote: I tried using Leeching Beasts for a while, but if there was any healing going on it wasn't enough to be noticeable. I'm currently using Rabid Dogs, but I may switch over to Final Gift (with Sacrifice, this is probably the most effective healing you can get from the dogs).

I'm still using Leeching Beasts. It's not a lot of healing, but I lack any LoH.

I've been playing this build lately and it's pretty fun. Ghost Bomb does a ton of AoE damage in a large area. Zombie Handler + Circle of Life + Next of Kin is crazy. On huge packs of enemies I can chain a whole lot of dog bombs in a row. They just keep resurrecting. Horde or Illusionist enchanted boss packs just melt.

Best patch ever.
How necessary is Jungle Fortitude to the pet build?

I've been playing with a Grave Injustice build recently that absolutely destroys things. The build has allowed me to progress further through act III and I should be able to push into act IV or even finish Inferno with it.

I've been specifically avoiding pets (Barring the 10% dogs from Grasp of the Dead) but I'm willing to bet that if Jungle Fortitude isn't necessary for pets you could merge our two builds into something fairly mean.

The great thing I've found with the Grave Injustice build is that it isn't totally reliable on any specific skill and can be adjusted in many ways to suit playstyle.

Edit: Present build swapped out Blood Ritual for Circle of Life. Tried playing with Garg instead of Hex, but can't stand the loss of my little imp. Taking a whole champion out of a fight is just too strong. I really enjoy the constant dogs popping up but I'm not sure if they offer enough to warrant the loss of so much health regen that I would have from Blood Ritual. Blood Ritual with my present gearing offers upwards of 700 lps.
(08-23-2012, 03:50 PM)Jaffa Tamarin Wrote: Me and my new improved 1.04 pets made it through all of Act III and Act IV and are now camped at the Pinnacle of Heaven. I made a few attempts on Diablo and I think he's borderline do-able with my current gear, but so far I haven't managed to take him down.

And now Diablo is dead. Yay!

After a few more attempts where I was getting him down to the last segment in phase 3, then failing to dodge something and dying, I want and hit up the AH for a new ceremonial knife. The increased DPS didn't make dodging things any easier, but at least the fight didn't last quite as long.

Maki the witchdoctor
(08-27-2012, 12:50 AM)Jaffa Tamarin Wrote: And now Diablo is dead. Yay!

Maki the witchdoctor

Congrats Smile

I haven't been able to make it beyond Belial, mostly because my gear is terrible and I don't know the fight well enough. I can destroy everything up to that point fairly easily though.

Pants the Witch Doctor.
(08-27-2012, 12:50 AM)Jaffa Tamarin Wrote: And now Diablo is dead. Yay!

After a few more attempts where I was getting him down to the last segment in phase 3, then failing to dodge something and dying, I want and hit up the AH for a new ceremonial knife. The increased DPS didn't make dodging things any easier, but at least the fight didn't last quite as long.

I just killed him tonight as well. It royally sucks when your shadow mimic rolls Corpse Spiders! They will tear you down in two seconds flat and you cannot see them for crap in that shadow realm. GRRRRR.

(08-27-2012, 03:09 AM)DeeBye Wrote: I haven't been able to make it beyond Belial, mostly because my gear is terrible and I don't know the fight well enough. I can destroy everything up to that point fairly easily though.

Pants the Witch Doctor.

I've not used Firebomb myself, but if it's anything like corpse spiders that is probably enough to increase the difficulty of the fight x10. Belial above all other boss fights is completely finicky about when certain skills will damage him (Leaping Spiders ignore him completely and just wither away on the ground). If you are not against it, try swapping to Poison Dart/Splinters and try the fight again with that as a main attack. I wouldn't be surprised if a quick swap to that is enough to push you through the fight.
(08-27-2012, 04:31 AM)Chesspiece_face Wrote: Leaping Spiders ignore him completely and just wither away on the ground

I'm really confused about you having this problem cause my WD uses Leaping Spiders and I just spam them and he dies. It doesn't seem possible that the pets would be killing him as quick as he dies for me so my spiders have to be hitting him. I'm really lost by yours not attacking.
(08-27-2012, 05:13 AM)swirly Wrote:
(08-27-2012, 04:31 AM)Chesspiece_face Wrote: Leaping Spiders ignore him completely and just wither away on the ground

I'm really confused about you having this problem cause my WD uses Leaping Spiders and I just spam them and he dies. It doesn't seem possible that the pets would be killing him as quick as he dies for me so my spiders have to be hitting him. I'm really lost by yours not attacking.

It's possible it has been fixed in this recent patch, I'll have to check. It was a major issue with my Tourney Witch Doctor though as the only things I could get to actually damage the bastard were my Templar and my Gargantuan. Took ages to kill him and that was just on normal.

Edit: Just checked. Leaping Spiders now definitely target Belial. When I was using them with my Tourney WD they would just stand around on the platform and die.
My witch doctor also is a minion guy. Now that minion builds are viable again I can finally take him out again. Smile

Bazdingoh!
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
Mine is up to HC Hell now and has all the Zombie Dog versions available. I've been running with the burning ones though. I changed to them at some point cause it seemed like their aoe made them better at grabbing mobs. Noticed fewer ones running for me instead of them when I changed. Just something others could try. See if they feel the same.
Has anyone else run into an issue with minions somehow getting stupid and just ... standing around doing nothing? I've ran across this with both dogs and my garg. Sometimes in intense battles with many things happening onscreen they just say "screw it, I'm going to stand right here and not do anything". It's not a pathing issue or anything like that. They just lose all motivation to do stuff.