Betting in a PvP Arena?
I think it'd be a really amusing idea if in the future they could stage like really hyped up matches between the top players in the pvp ladder, if there is one, in the future and you could bet gold on whoever wins and of course there would be a gold fee. The winnings would be based on the prize pool, so there would be a gold sink.

Also players could be made to fight each other for gold. (But again there would be a fee to prevent match fixing or illegal transfers of gold)

However, would this lead to legal issues regarding "gambling" though?

Another suggestion is an "Untwinked PvP Arena". In this, all opponents cannot bring any items or characters in. Instead you can choose any class of character, and the game will randomly generate a a bunch of rares for each slot; both players get the exact same items to choose from. They'll get to view all the classes and items available. Then both sides will pick a class, and then proceed to equip appropriately.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

But I don't think it would survive the attempts to cheat.

Sad, but true.

Human nature thing.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
It would go so far against their design philosophy that they might do it.
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
(07-18-2012, 01:09 AM)Frag Wrote: It would go so far against their design philosophy that they might do it.

After they had doubled it. Is that still a thing? I'm out of the loop on stuff like this I'm afraid.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
(07-17-2012, 11:32 PM)Occhidiangela Wrote: Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

But I don't think it would survive the attempts to cheat.

Sad, but true.

Human nature thing.

Damn, you're right.

It's been kind of a wish I've been having since D2, but the potential for abuse is high.
The opponents would have to be randomized in some way to prevent fixing. Maybe an NCAA tournament style match among the top rated players could work for this.
What I'd like to see, to test player skill, would be that you enter arena, and you are by default naked.

the duel/match is pre selected, or assigned by the internal, server side of the game, to equip the two opponents with something.

You then have a set time to examine your tools, fix up your skills and runes to get the most out of it (so you thinkg) and you both enter the arena.

Fight's on!

This would make for some very difficult guessing as to who will kit them selves up with what, initially, though certain choices may become min maxxed and predictable over time.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E452S_fJwA

Check out 8:20. Someone actually asks this question and Jay flat out says no. He doesn't want to do anything that encourages e-sport expectations.
Hmmph. A lack of imagination on his part, me thinks. Then again they seem to love dictating the concept of fun.

Like I posted in the other thread, skill effects and damage against other players can be modified which will not effect the PvE game.
^^Precisely this. It baffles me that so many people are worried that PvM will take a hit when they try to balance PvP - it is all in their heads. Balancing skills in PvP is EASY TO do without it affecting PvM in the slightest. They were doing this back in the D1 days - spells in PvP were halved, but did their full damage still vs monsters, just as an example, resists not withstanding.

My biggest worry though is that will only be an arena system where you duel random people, and we wont be able to make custom games specifically for dueling like we did in D1 or D2 - where we can duel with people we know. I want to be able to make a game like "FIT vs. Shade" and only those we invite are allowed in and we can duel one another as well as spectate. I still wonder why they took custom games out in general, I much prefer that over having to invite someone or just joining some random public game. Also, I still haven't figured out why we cannot travel across realms unless we want don't mind making a new char. On D1, I could take all my chars to Europe with no problem.......it seems like Blizz is just regressing in every aspect, the social system of bnut 2.0 included.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
(07-20-2012, 12:02 AM)RedRadical Wrote: ^^Precisely this. It baffles me that so many people are worried that PvM will take a hit when they try to balance PvP - it is all in their heads. Balancing skills in PvP is EASY TO do without it affecting PvM in the slightest. They were doing this back in the D1 days - spells in PvP were halved, but did their full damage still vs monsters, just as an example, resists not withstanding.

The difficulty with balancing for PvP and PvM at the same time is that the tendency during such balancing is to make every class exactly the same but just use different graphics. Every class has its snare, every class has its mobility skill, every class has its interrupt, every class has its crowd control ability, every class has its crowd control breaking skill, every class has its temporary immunity, etc. It's the only way to make sure that PvP is truly balanced. However, with PvM, you can make classes that are genuinely different from one another that can still succeed. Take pets oriented builds as examples (e.g Necromancer or Witch doctor). They can do very well in the PvM game but would be laughed out of the arena in PvP. If you don't worry about PvP balance, then that opens up the possibility for much more diversity among the classes.