Well... I did it, i quit wow cold turkey
after 7 years of playing wow, i have quit playing wow for 2 months 21 days and have no urges to play it again and my subscription is over on the 22nd of july, i really did not have any reason to play it anymore and i have all collector editions of wow staring at me all in nice line up brown thru black boxed up and gathering dust on my gaming shelves along with ffxi online boxed sets and what not and guildwars sets...

so i am pleased to say i will never play wow again, but blizzard still have there hooks in me, i cant play d3 yet need a new vid card to play it or just need a new computer, anyways, i just wanted to share that a person can in fact quit on his own, when the game become boring and repetitive to the point and seem to be going the way of little kids game.{ not that it is ,but somethings in wow are screaming that they want a younger audience with the new things coming in the new expac}

so does anyone else get urges to quit a game that you pay for after you played it to death i.e raiding, pvp, pve and felt you done everything you could do to try to keep a interest in the game, but just cant see why you are playing it..

next addiction is diablo3 when i can get a better computer to play it{ i am not reading the how bad it is} on any websites even though i did read about the RMAH problems with gear wise, but thats about it.

edited something that my brain didnt see that made no sense to me or anyone that will read this{ thanks wifey}
[Image: chandelier.gif]
[Image: greyson.jpg]
[Image: demtorch.gif]
I quit playing June 28th, 1:15 am EST.

Yuri gave me a port to Shat, and I flew off to my little island in Nagrand, and logged for the last time. My game time expired on the 29th, at 5pm.

I had played for a long time because, and for, the guild. <Lurkers> were the only thing that kept me playing the game through the majority of cataclysm. I didn't agree with a lot of decisions Blizz made, and I knew when 4.1 dropped, that my days in the game were numbered. I had tried to reconcile myself with the massive changes to the paladin through the beta, and then live in 4.0, all the way to 4.1.

Days after 4.1 dropped, I main changed to my Death Knight, and I knew that was the end. I had lost access to my titles, and my achieves, and my mounts, and my pets, and my tabards, and all the gear that I had been kicking around in the bank for fun days.

Even with 5.0 opening the doors to most of those things, I'm just not interested in the game, and I'm not so sure that I would have felt any different after main changing if they would have been available. The main change, was really the first nail in the coffin (despite loving my death knight), Firelands, Dragon Soul, Loot tables, Nerfing Content, Pandas, Pokewow, and more were the others. I couldn't actually tell you what the final nail is/was.

I miss getting online wednesday nights and raiding with my friends, but I'm not interested in coming back. I figure soon enough, I should be able to log on to mumble and not feel that urge to play, and I can just chat.

Diablo 3 isn't my type of game. I don't hate it, or have some pent up vitriol about it, It just isn't my thing. I'm glad that some people like it, and that you are looking forward to it. For me, I'm enjoying other things that I haven't in a while, and getting ready to dive head first into a game design of my own.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(07-16-2012, 04:42 PM)shoju Wrote: I quit playing June 28th, 1:15 am EST.

Yuri gave me a port to Shat, and I flew off to my little island in Nagrand, and logged for the last time. My game time expired on the 29th, at 5pm.

I had played for a long time because, and for, the guild. <Lurkers> were the only thing that kept me playing the game through the majority of cataclysm. I didn't agree with a lot of decisions Blizz made, and I knew when 4.1 dropped, that my days in the game were numbered. I had tried to reconcile myself with the massive changes to the paladin through the beta, and then live in 4.0, all the way to 4.1.

Days after 4.1 dropped, I main changed to my Death Knight, and I knew that was the end. I had lost access to my titles, and my achieves, and my mounts, and my pets, and my tabards, and all the gear that I had been kicking around in the bank for fun days.

Even with 5.0 opening the doors to most of those things, I'm just not interested in the game, and I'm not so sure that I would have felt any different after main changing if they would have been available. The main change, was really the first nail in the coffin (despite loving my death knight), Firelands, Dragon Soul, Loot tables, Nerfing Content, Pandas, Pokewow, and more were the others. I couldn't actually tell you what the final nail is/was.

I miss getting online wednesday nights and raiding with my friends, but I'm not interested in coming back. I figure soon enough, I should be able to log on to mumble and not feel that urge to play, and I can just chat.

Diablo 3 isn't my type of game. I don't hate it, or have some pent up vitriol about it, It just isn't my thing. I'm glad that some people like it, and that you are looking forward to it. For me, I'm enjoying other things that I haven't in a while, and getting ready to dive head first into a game design of my own.

yes i am or was in the lurkers guild as well, and i have to agree pokiewow does seem to be the last straw for me i cant see why they would go that route, as do i miss the raidng with friends but seem wow has gotten more and more elitus prickus in some extent, i was in a guild on darkspear during my pvp stint when i first came to wow back when the original was just coming out beta and having the beta played, i can honestly say that best part of wow was pre wrath and pre nerfing of the occy non raid instant, it was far too easy when i did on my dk very first time{when we got it during the launch} running it i thought what all the problem with occy, was that people wanted to be able to show there "skills" and be able do what they knew to do , but low and behold that wasnt in the cards blizzard turned around and said hey guys we know you just want to pew pew thru all this content we gave you and not try nothing new but bear with us...

and of course everyone said no we don't want try nothing new just give it to us on silver plate...

i dont know what the next game witll be for me as i said diablo 3 isn't a mmo{ i am glad its not be more crying then anyone can bear}

but i loved wow but this next expac i will not be apart of its just holding nothing there for me 3 expacs and i am done just like in ffxionline. i dont know if there will be another game like wow or ffxi that will grab my attention and surrender my creditcard info to play, but we shall see
what is occy? I'm not familiar with that acronym.

Doing a quick net search shows me that some people called The Oculus "Occy".

I would say that I probably disagree with you about that point if you are referring to the Oculus. I hated that place. I hated The raid on Malygos, and I hated Flame Leviathan as well.
I didn't level a character so that I could play something else. Not a dragon, not a tank / catapault / motorcycle. You are right, those places weren't hard, but that didn't make me like them anymore.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
I dropped NetFlix. I don't fall asleep playing WOW. At least, not usually.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(07-16-2012, 09:35 PM)shoju Wrote: what is occy? I'm not familiar with that acronym.

Doing a quick net search shows me that some people called The Oculus "Occy".

I would say that I probably disagree with you about that point if you are referring to the Oculus. I hated that place. I hated The raid on Malygos, and I hated Flame Leviathan as well.
I didn't level a character so that I could play something else. Not a dragon, not a tank / catapault / motorcycle. You are right, those places weren't hard, but that didn't make me like them anymore.

yes i am referring to that place, when wrath came out people complained about it and when i finally was able to do it before all the nerfs to it i breezed thru it on my dk as a tanking dw frost and i had no problems with it at all, like i said i dont understand why they hated it so much due the vehicle part was fun, but then again i can understand what some people can mean by being to hard if they dont stick together

(07-19-2012, 06:15 PM)kandrathe Wrote: I dropped NetFlix. I don't fall asleep playing WOW. At least, not usually.

you dropped netflix, never had it so i dont know what to say but i fell a sleep few times while raiding steel council.. not fun i tell you when you fall sleep due everyone is just downing everything...
Well, I for one hated the vehicles. Hate isn't a strong enough word to voice my displeasure with the idea. I hated it less in Ulduar, because it was back to being 2d controls, but the drakes in Oculus, EoE, and then the 3d on Al'Akir, can all die a horrid grisly death in the fires of Mordor. But all in all, I didn't play WoW so that I could play some dragon or tank with 4 abilities. That just isn't my idea of a good time, even as a "side bar" used only a few times.

Then, there was the problem that people couldn't stay together in a PuG, which was only exacerbated by the RDF tool, and the level of brain deadness that it brought to dungeoning.

I ran that place on 7 80's during wotlk, and once I made a few macros to direct people, it went great. The problem for me, really was the using the dragons to attack. Not fun.

But then, if you look around long enough, you could find my laundry list of things that I didn't find fun.
(07-20-2012, 07:31 PM)shoju Wrote: Well, I for one hated the vehicles. Hate isn't a strong enough word to voice my displeasure with the idea. I hated it less in Ulduar, because it was back to being 2d controls, but the drakes in Oculus, EoE, and then the 3d on Al'Akir, can all die a horrid grisly death in the fires of Mordor. But all in all, I didn't play WoW so that I could play some dragon or tank with 4 abilities. That just isn't my idea of a good time, even as a "side bar" used only a few times.

Then, there was the problem that people couldn't stay together in a PuG, which was only exacerbated by the RDF tool, and the level of brain deadness that it brought to dungeoning.

I ran that place on 7 80's during wotlk, and once I made a few macros to direct people, it went great. The problem for me, really was the using the dragons to attack. Not fun.

But then, if you look around long enough, you could find my laundry list of things that I didn't find fun.

while i agree that they did go "little"{imagine here doing air quotes with the sarcasm of voice charlie sheen} overboard with the vehicles and not really have a way to guide people in Occy and trying to keep yourself from dying on the finally fight against maly that one fight i loved but also wanted to rip my screen off my desk and throw it out the window, due when you try to stay together you can become disoriented by the place, i mean yes its easy to move up around but the 360 degrees and trying to keep with the group while you finish him off there always that optical effect that your closer to other raiders on those drakes then you realize when it showing you further away then you actually are.

what i like to see if they ever try to do a vehicle raid is let us actually fight like how they did it on deathwing back now that was fun i loved that raid mechanic.

and yeah i also agree it was repetitive on the attack skill sets for the vehicles, maybe when they finally launch that new MMO project that tigole went to work on, that may be what brings me back to the mmo scene someday
(07-16-2012, 04:42 PM)shoju Wrote: The main change, was really the first nail in the coffin (despite loving my death knight), Firelands, Dragon Soul, Loot tables, Nerfing Content, Pandas, Pokewow, and more were the others. I couldn't actually tell you what the final nail is/was.

I am minded that pandas have been in WoW since day one of retail. In fact my mage had two of them. (The servers were unstable and quest rewards kept duplicating every time there was a crash.)
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
(08-09-2012, 09:30 PM)LavCat Wrote:
(07-16-2012, 04:42 PM)shoju Wrote: The main change, was really the first nail in the coffin (despite loving my death knight), Firelands, Dragon Soul, Loot tables, Nerfing Content, Pandas, Pokewow, and more were the others. I couldn't actually tell you what the final nail is/was.

I am minded that pandas have been in WoW since day one of retail. In fact my mage had two of them. (The servers were unstable and quest rewards kept duplicating every time there was a crash.)

That doesn't make me hate the MoP incarnation of them, and their resemblence to dreamworks / nickelodeon IP any less.

They were in one of the RTS games as well. There was a unit called the brewmaster. That, has very little in common with the cutesified version that ended up as the race in Pandaren.
(08-10-2012, 12:16 AM)shoju Wrote: They were in one of the RTS games as well. There was a unit called the brewmaster. That, has very little in common with the cutesified version that ended up as the race in Pandaren.
You are done. I get it. Why you gotta be hatin'?

WOW fleshed out many aspects of the Warcraft III RTS experience -- they brought in artists -- story crafters to develop lore -- sewed it into the Warcraft universe. It's a friggin' game, not an Ode to Charlemagne. The RTS was also semi-comic (try poking the mobs) -- I don't think they've strayed too far from the genre of the RTS.

Actually, as a game -- I'm really amazed by it's longevity, complexity and flexibility. How many characters are there in WOW? How many players worldwide? About 10 million, down a couple million from their peak. Are they hurting? No. Since the launch of DIII they've hit 10 million players on DIII -- and that is a game with much more limited replayability. With MOP, a whole new group of players will get hooked -- who knows how big -- who knows for how long.

In comparison, Lineage peaked at 3 million in 2004, and Aion spiked up to 4 until 2010. Most of the rest of the MMO world hobbles along under a million active accounts worldwide.

How many items are stored in their database? "Blizzard utilizes 20,000 computer systems, 1.3 petabytes of storage, and more than 4,600 people to operate World of Warcraft." Here is some 2009 data. Is there another such large and complex game system on the planet?

So... you don't like cute -- I imagine for every one of you, there are 10,000 teen aged "Hello Kitty" girls in Asia who'd love to play a cuddly Pandaren. There are evil and sinister parts of this game too, where we can go and feel like men. The market is broader than yours or my tastes. If you can't tolerate the cuteness hanging around the auction house, then you did the right thing.

Can we be done with the sour grapes now?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

(08-14-2012, 08:22 PM)kandrathe Wrote:
(08-10-2012, 12:16 AM)shoju Wrote: They were in one of the RTS games as well. There was a unit called the brewmaster. That, has very little in common with the cutesified version that ended up as the race in Pandaren.
You are done. I get it. Why you gotta be hatin'?

Because, I was posting in a thread about the reasons that I, and the OP are done with WoW?

Why is it, that when I list all of my reasons why I am done with the game, the ONE that draws the most ire, is that I don't like the Pandaren, and I think they look like they belong on Nickelodeon?

Quote:WOW fleshed out many aspects of the Warcraft III RTS experience -- they brought in artists -- story crafters to develop lore -- sewed it into the Warcraft universe. It's a friggin' game, not an Ode to Charlemagne. The RTS was also semi-comic (try poking the mobs) -- I don't think they've strayed too far from the genre of the RTS.
I've NEVER played the RTS's. But, when I realized that they were really adding this Panda race to the game, I did my research.

Quote:Actually, as a game -- I'm really amazed by it's longevity, complexity and flexibility. How many characters are there in WOW? How many players worldwide? About 10 million, down a couple million from their peak. Are they hurting? No. Since the launch of DIII they've hit 10 million players on DIII -- and that is a game with much more limited replayability. With MOP, a whole new group of players will get hooked -- who knows how big -- who knows for how long.

You are right, though I've never begrudged anyone for staying in the game, or continuing to play, and I've never said that Blizzard is going to fail. I have simply said: "I quit, here is why they aren't getting my money anymore."

And then, in a thread that is about the very fact that people have quit the game, I have expounded upon my opinions.

Quote:So... you don't like cute -- I imagine for every one of you, there are 10,000 teen aged "Hello Kitty" girls in Asia who'd love to play a cuddly Pandaren. There are evil and sinister parts of this game too, where we can go and feel like men. The market is broader than yours or my tastes. If you can't tolerate the cuteness hanging around the auction house, then you did the right thing.

Can we be done with the sour grapes now?

If you are expecting people to not have some sour grapes, I think you are in the wrong thread. My unhappiness with WoW has been confined to TWO Threads.

One: What would you do to make WoW better Oh look, it's a thread YOU started. Where was the bitterness at my post there? I posted far more in depth, and scathing points there, but yet you don't lift an angry finger at that post. In fact, your response were fairly reasonable for conversation.

Two: This Thread: I again, post my opinions about the game, and my unhappiness with multiple things. It isn't until I go on to re-affirm that even though the pandas have a rich history in the game, that doesn't make me dislike them any less, that you decide to descend upon my posts.

YOU ARE IN A THREAD THAT IS ABOUT PEOPLE QUITTING THE GAME.
It is clearly marked as such. If you came here, expecting us to not have some "sour grapes" You came to the wrong thread. I know that in the Diablo boards there has been much talk about not posting about what you don't like about the game, but I would say that since this is the second thread in recent memory to deal publicly with unhappiness towards blizzard/Warcraft (and it is clearly labeled as such), We might still be ok down here with airing our unhapiness in a thread that is clearly marked.

I haven't told you that you silly, or wrong, or dumb for still playing the game. I haven't complained about other's enjoying the game, or degrading their "right" to enjoy the game. I have simply posted, and responded to posts that quoted my post.

I hope that people continue to play if it makes them happy. It no longer made me happy. I no longer enjoyed it, and I picked a stopping point, and got out.

Bolty can feel free to correct me, and if he says that we can't have this discussion in this thread, I wont. But I think I'm in the clear here with airing my unhappiness about the style of model that they chose for the game.
(08-15-2012, 04:29 PM)shoju Wrote: I know that in the Diablo boards there has been much talk about not posting about what you don't like about the game...

To expand on that (and this is my opinion Shoju may or may not share it, I just feel the need to expand), it was because there were some people that were posting in nearly every thread about D3 saying OMG DUMB GAME SUXXORS YOU JUST FANBOI TO LIKE! Of course they tended to use more words, but that was what most of the posts they made boiled down to, and there was no discussion after awhile. Posts that had good criticism or points, and were generating valuable discussion, ended up with the above showing up. That is why it became an issue on the D3 boards, the pervasiveness and the fact that it was driving people from the boards or from posting. Discussion from people who did enjoy the game and were wanting to explore aspects of it, kept getting annoyed by people that were basically saying you're dumb and a blind fanboy oh and you're dumb and you're stupid oh and this game is awful and you're a fanboy and this game sucks and you're dumb and oh by the way did I mention this game sucks, hey you over there, did you know this game sucks.

I'm fully in agreement with you here, this is a single thread, you are topical, you aren't jumping into every WoW thread and saying OMG FANBOI DUMMY LIKE PANDA. HAHA IDOIT NEWB! (with more words of course because you have a grasp of the English language).

I just wanted to point out the huge degree of difference in what was happening in the various sub forums.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
(08-15-2012, 06:36 PM)Gnollguy Wrote: To expand on that (and this is my opinion Shoju may or may not share it, I just feel the need to expand), it was because there were some people that were posting in nearly every thread about D3 saying OMG DUMB GAME SUXXORS YOU JUST FANBOI TO LIKE!

Of course they tended to use more words, but that was what most of the posts they made boiled down to, and there was no discussion after awhile. Posts that had good criticism or points, and were generating valuable discussion, ended up with the above showing up. That is why it became an issue on the D3 boards, the pervasiveness and the fact that it was driving people from the boards or from posting. Discussion from people who did enjoy the game and were wanting to explore aspects of it, kept getting annoyed by people that were basically saying you're dumb and a blind fanboy oh and you're dumb and you're stupid oh and this game is awful and you're a fanboy and this game sucks and you're dumb and oh by the way did I mention this game sucks, hey you over there, did you know this game sucks.

I'm fully in agreement with you here, this is a single thread, you are topical, you aren't jumping into every WoW thread and saying OMG FANBOI DUMMY LIKE PANDA. HAHA IDOIT NEWB! (with more words of course because you have a grasp of the English language).

I just wanted to point out the huge degree of difference in what was happening in the various sub forums.

This is indeed something I agree with. I could even understand the whole "stop with the sour grapes" If I were even active in the Diablo III forums. I don't post there. I don't play the game.

Thanks GG. Like I said in this thread, my other post, and I've told the <Lurkers> Terenas crew. Don't let me leaving color your enjoyment of the game. If you still have fun with it, by all means play.

I don't think that the game is fundamentally broken. I think it might be on it's "Back nine" now, but if the back nine is as long as the front nine, you have a while.

I'm just not part of the target demographic, and it's pretty obvious.

The look of the Panda race
The Farmville style Tillers
The Plants VS Zombies Side jaunt
The Pokemon-esque Pet Battles
The "dumbing down" of tanking

They are trying to appeal to a younger, bigger, "wealthier" (look at the data, the younger demographic is definitely the cash cow), playerbase. I'm not part of that anymore. I'm married. I have kids. I know what I like, and what I don't like in game. Both stylistically, and difficulty wise, My vision for game that I want to play is no longer the same as the vision that Blizzard has for Warcraft. I'm ok with that. That doesn't mean that I don't have opinions, or want to express them. I can be ok with the fact that they are changing the game and critical of it at the same time.
(08-15-2012, 04:29 PM)shoju Wrote: Because, I was posting in a thread about the reasons that I, and the OP are done with WoW?
Carry on then. I assume you played the Beta enough to have experience, not just impressions. What else do you hate?

(08-16-2012, 03:54 PM)kandrathe Wrote:
(08-15-2012, 04:29 PM)shoju Wrote: Because, I was posting in a thread about the reasons that I, and the OP are done with WoW?
Carry on then. I assume you played the Beta enough to have experience, not just impressions. What else do you hate?

I have a beta invite, but I didn't enjoy my time in the beta for cata. It was plagued with problems related to my GPU, and I only got to play for a few weeks.

Then I felt that any criticism that Blizzard was given about Holy Power was given the old "No, no.... We know what we are doing".

Honestly, Mists of Pandaria just doesn't do it for me, which is pretty crazy. I'm a lover of many things ancient and asian in theme. My name (Shoju Screenname and Onisu DK Name) comes from (IMO) the greatest fuedal Asian property out there.

The problem with MOP for me is all encompassing.

pandas
The Pandaren as a race just don't interest me. Model looks aside, I'm just not interested in playing a big ol' panda bear. I will say, that allowing them to be either horde or alliance, is something that I had postulated about over on Maintankadin when discussing new races even before Cataclysm, when I was hoping that the worgen would have been a class, not a race, and would get that treatment at the end of their starting zone.

Then came the models, which to me, just don't "fit" in WoW. They look too cartoony for me. They look more like they belong on Dreamworks/Nickelodeon's Kung Fu Panda, than in World of Warcraft. I get it, It's not targeted at me. I understand it, I just don't like it.

tanking
I LOVE THE IDEA of Active Mitigation. It was what drew me to my DK when I realized that I just want to vomit at the idea of Holy Power. Controlling what I did, having so many cooldowns meant a lot to me. I also feel like the Death Knight tank is similar to Cat DPS. The difference between a bad DK tank and an OK Dk tank is huge. The difference between either of them, and a good or even great dk tank, is even bigger. I would consider myself a "good" dk tank. Great DK tanks are the guys who make videos soloing things that I wiped to (Mionelol / Raegwynn are examples of great.)

The problem with the new tanking model, is that threat is a joke. I will never forget the first time I went into H:MGT with Lurkers, and Glaur commented over Mumble about how I held threat REALLY well, considering I was a tier of gear+ behind the rest of the guild. That meant a lot to me to hear. I studied, HARD on how to ride that line between threat and survival. I prided myself on the DPS parses, when my DPS were pulling great numbers, and not dying. That meant I was doing a damn good job as a tank.

Now, with the loss of threat as a viable mechanic, I was getting bored. On Heroic Morchok, one of the few fights I tanked in Dragon Soul, I spent more and more time focusing on taking less damage, and waiting for that "perfect moment" to Death Strike, delaying my attacks. While that is "cool" and it was fun, part of me lamented that if this would have been Pre-4.2, I could never have delayed my skills like that. Xarhud would have ripped aggro.

Vengeance was an interesting idea towards threat, and making tank DPS not LOLable. I liked it. But when they changed it in 4.2, I felt like it went too far. Threat was no longer an issue. Things just "came to me" because I was angry and threw down a DnD. Playing the survival game, and the threat game felt good.

Pokewow
I'm going to warn you now. I'm about to drop some profanity.

The first time I read about the pet battles, I was on Mumble with Sherck, and a few others. I said: "You have got to be fucking kidding me." I know that not all the devs work on the same things interchangably, but I'm pretty sure I could have found other things to improve in this game that the devs that are working on pet battles could have been working on, instead of putting them on integrating pokemon into wow. I thought it was a joke at first. I really, REALLY hate the idea of pet battles.

The new Rep Grinds
I hated the rep grinds in TBC. I was elated when tabard reps were introduced in WotLK (guess which rep in WOTLK I never got to exalted? I'll give you a hint: There's no tabard, and you don't need it for raiding, or mounts) . I hated the Aldor/Scryer grind. I hated the Sons of Hodir Grind, and I wanted to drop a nuke on the entire zone of deepholm. WORST. GRINDS. EVER Going to a system where that is going to be closer to the norm than the tabards? No Thanks.

The casualization of raiding
LFR and the RDF / LFG tool are the best, and worst things to ever happen to WoW IMO. They killed Server communities, but made the game more accessible to more people. The problem is, we found out that the WoW population turns into mouth breathing booger eaters who want to throw obscenities at each other when given anonymity (yes, I realize there is some irony in that last sentence).

I hate LFR. I burnt out in it, I hate that it's 25 man. I don't like 25 man raiding. I wouldn't have lasted as long in the game had I been stuck in 25m raiding. I hate that it took the brain deadness of LFG, and brought it to 20 more people. Large groups of people = more anonymity = more douchebaggery.

This also means I hate the progressive nerfs. I also understand that it would have taken away content from me. I wouldn't have seen "heroic Mode" I don't care. I would have felt more accomplished with what I did complete, as opposed to "Just wait, they are going to make it easier, and then we'll get it". That isn't fun. That isn't the reason I play a video game. I don't play a video game so that one group of people can beat it, and then make it easier so that I can beat it. I can either beat it, or I can't. If I can't, I don't need it.

I also hate "heroic mode" but that's another topic, and not strictly MoP related.

The setup of the story this time around
They are trying something different. Maybe it works. Maybe it doesn't. Personally, I don't care for the direction of "the first tier is the end of the box game", and then we move on. I don't care that we are going to fight Garrosh, and I can't stand him!

I started playing WoW because I saw the Black Temple trailer video at Kaine's house. I WANTED TO KILL HIM. I wanted to kill Arthas. I wanted to kill DW (more so than most people). I wanted, craved, and desired that... "big bad guy".

Putting the "war" back in warcraft.
I don't care. I don't care about the alliance. I don't want to fight the alliance. If you look at the total of my non "twink" toon kills (Yes, I have a 19 twink hunter that I've had since TBC) I have less than 1500 HK's, and most of those came while on a PvP server in BC. I just don't care for the pvp aspect. I don't care about the "War" between the two factions. I play horde because I like the races more. I play Horde because my friends played horde when I started. Not because I truly care about the war. I didn't play the RTS's, so I'm not that invested in it.

That's my list of "Late Cata" / MoP dislikes. There are more things, but those were the things that were "major announcements" that I just sort of... /yawned at best at.

As you can see, most of it, is just the fact that the game doesn't align with my vision of fun anymore.
(08-16-2012, 04:53 PM)shoju Wrote: I have a beta invite, but I didn't enjoy my time in the beta for cata. It was plagued with problems related to my GPU, and I only got to play for a few weeks.
So... No. You actually haven't experienced MOP.

Quote:pandas
The Pandaren as a race just don't interest me. Model looks aside, I'm just not interested in playing a big ol' panda bear. I will say, that allowing them to be either horde or alliance, is something that I had postulated about over on Maintankadin when discussing new races even before Cataclysm, when I was hoping that the worgen would have been a class, not a race, and would get that treatment at the end of their starting zone.
So, Night Elves yelling "Hail to the night", Goblins driving around go carts / choppers, Merlocs gurgleing, or singing flower / panda kung-fu companions was ok. But, Panda's as a race is just a bridge too far?

Quote:Then came the models, which to me, just don't "fit" in WoW. They look too cartoony for me. They look more like they belong on Dreamworks/Nickelodeon's Kung Fu Panda, than in World of Warcraft. I get it, It's not targeted at me. I understand it, I just don't like it.

[Image: 7PjKE.png]
Not cartoony?

[Image: 322462-world-of-warcraft-pandaren.jpg?thumb=y]
Cartoony?

Quote:tanking
I LOVE THE IDEA of Active Mitigation. It was what drew me to my DK when I realized that I just want to vomit at the idea of Holy Power. Controlling what I did, having so many cooldowns meant a lot to me. I also feel like the Death Knight tank is similar to Cat DPS. The difference between a bad DK tank and an OK Dk tank is huge. The difference between either of them, and a good or even great dk tank, is even bigger. I would consider myself a "good" dk tank. Great DK tanks are the guys who make videos soloing things that I wiped to (Mionelol / Raegwynn are examples of great.)

The problem with the new tanking model, is that threat is a joke. I will never forget the first time I went into H:MGT with Lurkers, and Glaur commented over Mumble about how I held threat REALLY well, considering I was a tier of gear+ behind the rest of the guild. That meant a lot to me to hear. I studied, HARD on how to ride that line between threat and survival. I prided myself on the DPS parses, when my DPS were pulling great numbers, and not dying. That meant I was doing a damn good job as a tank.

Now, with the loss of threat as a viable mechanic, I was getting bored. On Heroic Morchok, one of the few fights I tanked in Dragon Soul, I spent more and more time focusing on taking less damage, and waiting for that "perfect moment" to Death Strike, delaying my attacks. While that is "cool" and it was fun, part of me lamented that if this would have been Pre-4.2, I could never have delayed my skills like that. Xarhud would have ripped aggro.

Vengeance was an interesting idea towards threat, and making tank DPS not LOLable. I liked it. But when they changed it in 4.2, I felt like it went too far. Threat was no longer an issue. Things just "came to me" because I was angry and threw down a DnD. Playing the survival game, and the threat game felt good.
There are 3 changes to tanking in MOP;

1) Tanks will do much more damage. Maybe about 70% of a DPS class, but much more than before. You have an active role now in taking things down.

2) A new active defense model where you need to watch your resources and cool downs and be more active in mitigating damage. Again, you are no longer a threat generating stone that watches aggro, and otherwise acts as a mobile punching bag for the selected mob.

3) Big changes to the way block works. It will be a separate roll after determining if an attack misses or is dodged or parried. Block also is subject to diminishing returns which is wasn’t before, meaning that it will not likely be able to be capped. Previously block was part of the same roll which leaned to the magic 102.4% rule, meaning if miss, parry, dodge, and block all added up to 102.4% you would never suffer a normal full strength hit. Now that it is separate it is impossible to get to that situation. This means tanks will suffer more damage, which ties into the active mitigation from #2. Again, they are making tanks require more skills.

Far from being dumbed down -- it is quite the opposite. Tanking will be hard work.

Quote:Pokewow
... I really, REALLY hate the idea of pet battles.
And... Again, you've never experienced them. I played away most of a Saturday on MOP beta a couple weeks ago only running around trapping pets and trying them out. It fits in nicely with adding yet another thing to do while you are running around looking for herbs, minerals, etc. Am I a huge fan OMG -- gotta get em all? No, but you know what? My 12 year old son and I had a great time with it. So, sure. You may not like it. I don't like having everyone in the AH start doing the /train thing simultaneously, so I avoid the crowded ones. No one will be forced to do this. It's merely an amusement and actually makes companions more interesting than just a vanity thing.

Quote:The new Rep Grinds
I hated the rep grinds in TBC. I was elated when tabard reps were introduced in WotLK (guess which rep in WOTLK I never got to exalted? I'll give you a hint: There's no tabard, and you don't need it for raiding, or mounts) . I hated the Aldor/Scryer grind. I hated the Sons of Hodir Grind, and I wanted to drop a nuke on the entire zone of deepholm. WORST. GRINDS. EVER Going to a system where that is going to be closer to the norm than the tabards? No Thanks.
They will never do the TBC rep / dungeon lock thing again... But, I loved the Sons of Hodir -- I'm not sure how you thought it was a grind. I finished the quests, and did about a week of dailies to get exalted. Maybe they dumbed it down since you did it. And... It is likely now that many things will be account wide -- maybe even some reputation based stuff...

Quote:The casualization of raiding
LFR and the RDF / LFG tool are the best, and worst things to ever happen to WoW IMO. They killed Server communities, but made the game more accessible to more people.
I don't know. For a more casual player such as myself, it may be the only way I ever see 90% of the content of the game I bought. I love my guild. I'd rather do guild stuff -- even if LFR would be better for my progression.

Quote:I hate LFR. I burnt out in it, I hate that it's 25 man. I don't like 25 man raiding. I wouldn't have lasted as long in the game had I been stuck in 25m raiding.
I don't know. I've never LFR'd yet. My only experience was Avarice 40 man raiding in Classic, pre-TBC. It was hard to get everyone together and on the same page.

Quote:This also means I hate the progressive nerfs. ... I also hate "heroic mode" but that's another topic, and not strictly MoP related.
I wish the game were built differently (scaled difficulty/loot to the levels of the party / raid). I don't hate it. What I dislike is that my guildies are levels above me, and I can't play with them until I gear up. The game IMHO should accommodate some amount of group disparity.

Quote:The setup of the story this time around
They are trying something different. Maybe it works. Maybe it doesn't. Personally, I don't care for the direction of "the first tier is the end of the box game", and then we move on. I don't care that we are going to fight Garrosh, and I can't stand him!

I started playing WoW because I saw the Black Temple trailer video at Kaine's house. I WANTED TO KILL HIM. I wanted to kill Arthas. I wanted to kill DW (more so than most people). I wanted, craved, and desired that... "big bad guy".
Whatever. :-) My son has to tell me about the lore. I don't get it or keep up with it.

Quote:Putting the "war" back in warcraft.
I don't care. I don't care about the alliance. I don't want to fight the alliance. If you look at the total of my non "twink" toon kills (Yes, I have a 19 twink hunter that I've had since TBC) I have less than 1500 HK's, and most of those came while on a PvP server in BC. I just don't care for the pvp aspect. I don't care about the "War" between the two factions. I play horde because I like the races more. I play Horde because my friends played horde when I started. Not because I truly care about the war. I didn't play the RTS's, so I'm not that invested in it.
There is plenty of game for the non-PVPer. I think what is missing to me is the random world PVP from the beginning -- Tauren Mill vs South Shore -- Alliance getting together and surrounding the Crossroads. It was possible for 30-40 level 14 toons in Darkshore to repell a small gang of level 30ish bullies who came north to hassle the elves. It was not something I wanted ALL the time, (hence why I chose a PVE server), but it was fun to gang up occasionally and go raise hell.

Quote:As you can see, most of it, is just the fact that the game doesn't align with my vision of fun anymore.
So be it. You quit. Feel better?

Kan you can't ask him:

(08-16-2012, 03:54 PM)kandrathe Wrote: Carry on then. I assume you played the Beta enough to have experience, not just impressions. What else do you hate?

And then follow up with:

(08-16-2012, 07:42 PM)kandrathe Wrote: So be it. You quit. Feel better?

It feels like you're deliberately picking a fight with him and I won't have that in the WoW forums.
(08-16-2012, 04:53 PM)shoju Wrote: I started playing WoW because I saw the Black Temple trailer video at Kaine's house. I WANTED TO KILL HIM. I wanted to kill Arthas. I wanted to kill DW (more so than most people). I wanted, craved, and desired that... "big bad guy".

Sometimes I think I am the only one, but I keep looking at MoP and thinking it was the perfect decision. We've had escalating bad guys for a long long time. Infernals raining from the sky and Black Temple. Then they had to go bigger than that and so they brought out the Lich King and the scourge. Then hey had to beat that so they brought out Deathwing who destroyed the world. It's the age old problem of having to go bigger each time. It just gets old and silly after a while.

So I love that MoP is like them realizing that they needed to get off that treadmill. It was time to stop going bigger each time and to sidestep instead. I'd say I'm more interested in seeing the new Panda areas and stuff than I have been for anything from previous expansions just because all the previous ones always seemed like more of the same to me. I suspect this one will too eventually, but at least for now it feels different and I am very much cherishing that.
(08-16-2012, 07:45 PM)Tal Wrote: Kan you can't ask him:

(08-16-2012, 03:54 PM)kandrathe Wrote: Carry on then. I assume you played the Beta enough to have experience, not just impressions. What else do you hate?

And then follow up with:

(08-16-2012, 07:42 PM)kandrathe Wrote: So be it. You quit. Feel better?

It feels like you're deliberately picking a fight with him and I won't have that in the WoW forums.

OTOH, Shoju has hated MoP before he ever really saw any of it, and hasn't changed his thoughts on it since, from what I saw on another forum I share with Shoju. I don't think there's any intervention needed here. Shoju's telling his opinion, which he's entitled to, whether he saw it or not, and Kandrathe is commenting on his opinion of same, having actually seen and/or experienced more of it. I don't see any fight-picking here; just different viewpoints, both of which can be valid.

The difference from the D3 forum stuff is that Shoju is pointing out that *he* doesn't like MoP, however much he has seen or not seen of it. He's not calling anyone who likes MoP 'sheep' or accusing anyone of kissing Blizzard's ass like in the D3 forums.

Versus that, Kandrathe shares his thoughts on the same, and notes that Shoju seems to be happy to have quit, and that it's fine. Where's the problem with either?

Personally, I disagree with much of Shoju's viewpoint, and agree with some, but not all of Kandrathe's. The differences are not particularly important. Those who wish to play, will, and those who don't, won't. If only the D3 forum could be so clear about it, rather than degenerate into what it ended up as.
--Mav