Elective Mode should be the default! (General UI discussion)
Honestly, the greatest challenge for me pre-hell, was the realization I could have indeed Breath of Healing and other defensive skills together. Truth is, people are more likely to be successful if they picked skills out a hat. People will naturally know what offensive and defense skills are and prioritize. It's not obvious at all, until someone told me.

I don't think it helps the newer players at all. From my experience, it got harder. Wink What it could do is pick the default skills by default and make it flash until the player choose his own.

Also, isn't it a bit annoying that there's so much screen clutter when you level up? Because I surely need to bombarded by messages when a pack of elites are hunting me down. Let's go for the "new skill" plus bar that the old games had? I do not want them to guide my hand like that, especially when the person guiding has no clue on what to do themselves.

I would go far as to say that this has been a hindrance to everyone I've talked to, regardless of skill level or familiarity with the game.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
(07-13-2012, 08:42 PM)Archon_Wing Wrote: I would go far as to say that this has been a hindrance to everyone I've talked to, regardless of skill level or familiarity with the game.

I guess if you never looked at the options first thing when you start a game that might be the case, but, imo, if you didn't, you have only yourself to blame.

I don't think it's a big deal. If you're advanced enough to really take advantage of it, you should be advanced enough to find the options menu and experiment.
--Mav
(07-13-2012, 09:24 PM)Mavfin Wrote:
(07-13-2012, 08:42 PM)Archon_Wing Wrote: I would go far as to say that this has been a hindrance to everyone I've talked to, regardless of skill level or familiarity with the game.

I guess if you never looked at the options first thing when you start a game that might be the case, but, imo, if you didn't, you have only yourself to blame.

I don't think it's a big deal. If you're advanced enough to really take advantage of it, you should be advanced enough to find the options menu and experiment.

Well, maybe if the manual was helpful, but wait, it doesn't tell you anything! How would new users even know what elective mode would indicate without fearing it'd break something, especially when it's buried under these options? I'd say it'd be better off if the tooltip was the option.

I don't think wanting certain skills together is "advanced" in any degree.

It isn't a big deal, but it doesn't change the fact that a lot of newer players who aren't familiar with the game at all simply aren't helped enough to know it exists. Plus it's making the game harder for them. Which is my point. Non-elective mode does more harm than help.
I have to side with Blizzard on this one that the default mode is the best one to start new players off in order to get them used to the idea of having a good mix of different types of skills. Otherwise, the skill/rune combinations would look like a confusing mess to a new player. However, after normal mode is complete, tooltips should start popping up explaining how to turn on Elective Mode. Or maybe the option to turn on Elective Mode should start appearing in the skill selection screen to make it more visible.
(07-13-2012, 10:03 PM)Archon_Wing Wrote: Well, maybe if the manual was helpful, but wait, it doesn't tell you anything!

There's a manual? Big Grin
--Mav
(07-13-2012, 10:33 PM)MongoJerry Wrote: I have to side with Blizzard on this one that the default mode is the best one to start new players off in order to get them used to the idea of having a good mix of different types of skills. Otherwise, the skill/rune combinations would look like a confusing mess to a new player. However, after normal mode is complete, tooltips should start popping up explaining how to turn on Elective Mode. Or maybe the option to turn on Elective Mode should start appearing in the skill selection screen to make it more visible.

I have seen a loading screen info informing you there is an elective mode. So if you actually read them they do provide some information there.

Another option would be to add one of pop-ups with green text in the low right corner when you start Nightmare telling you about Elective mode, similar to the "you have an empty slot message". (at least I think that's the one I'm thinking of)

-WimpySmurf
Gracile 85 DK wowarmory
Faible 83 Pally wowarmory
Wimpy 82 War wowarmory
Zwakke 80 Sha wowarmory
(07-13-2012, 11:18 PM)WimpySmurf Wrote: Another option would be to add one of pop-ups with green text in the low right corner when you start Nightmare telling you about Elective mode, similar to the "you have an empty slot message". (at least I think that's the one I'm thinking of)

Yes, that's what I'm talking about -- like the ones that pop up when you join a multi-player game telling you that loot dropped is your own.
(07-13-2012, 10:33 PM)MongoJerry Wrote: I have to side with Blizzard on this one that the default mode is the best one to start new players off in order to get them used to the idea of having a good mix of different types of skills. Otherwise, the skill/rune combinations would look like a confusing mess to a new player. However, after normal mode is complete, tooltips should start popping up explaining how to turn on Elective Mode. Or maybe the option to turn on Elective Mode should start appearing in the skill selection screen to make it more visible.

But messes are fun! :p I was thinking the skill windows should have a "recommended" slot that would be selected by default, so no tinkering needed.

The thing is a lot of people would assume you need to have a defense skill here, an offensive skill here.

Personally, my favorite concept of in-game help, is an icon blinking briefly in the corner which will broadcast suggestions if I click. Advanced players can just turn it off. The game helps you out without having to restrict your choices. They do this for many things already, like your inventory being close to full. I actually found that to be helpful.

To be fair, I think the game has done well in this area in helping out new and casual players. Unlike some elitists who claim that catering casuals is "dumbing down", I see it as making the learning process as fun as possible, so that every point of the game can come intuitive. Frustration free with a challenge is the goal.

This is why Act 1 in any difficulty is my favorite act. Even in later difficulties, Act 1 serves as your place to build up skill and get used to things. The majority of it is intuitive and natural.

And this is why this is a suggestions thread, not a rage one. :p

(07-13-2012, 10:34 PM)Mavfin Wrote:
(07-13-2012, 10:03 PM)Archon_Wing Wrote: Well, maybe if the manual was helpful, but wait, it doesn't tell you anything!

There's a manual? Big Grin

There was-- while it was not very helpful for playing the game, it's actually really nice. I'm sure the lore content is online now but reading it as I was installing the game was great.
(07-13-2012, 11:18 PM)WimpySmurf Wrote: I have seen a loading screen info informing you there is an elective mode. So if you actually read them they do provide some information there.

As someone with an SSD, I can't stand loading screen tips. Either they're too short to be useful, or my SSD loads the game so fast I can't read them.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
I don't know, I liked the standard locked in mode at first. It helped me keep up with the ever changing numbers of skills as I leveled the first time. I think you should have a checkbox on the skill screen to enable "elective mode" though, rather than in the options page. This would make it more intuitive that you could change the dynamic on demand.