The Diablo Formula and how Diablo 3 falls short
I agree with large swaths of the post as made by the Langolier. Maybe its a bit of fanboyism still ingrained in me, but I don't want to abandon the game. Its flawed but at its core feels like a diablo game to me. I think the biggest issue for me that is pointed out is the complete linearness of the quests/act/map system. FWIW I think I read something from the dev team stating they recognize this a problem now, but because the entire engine is built on this mechanism, its much too late to change it.
(07-12-2012, 03:55 PM)Yricyn Wrote: I agree with large swaths of the post as made by the Langolier. Maybe its a bit of fanboyism still ingrained in me, but I don't want to abandon the game. Its flawed but at its core feels like a diablo game to me. I think the biggest issue for me that is pointed out is the complete linearness of the quests/act/map system. FWIW I think I read something from the dev team stating they recognize this a problem now, but because the entire engine is built on this mechanism, its much too late to change it.

You know, that doesn't bother me at all. I quite enjoy it over the D2 model. However, I think it might help if they periodically added more special events to maps and made the rewards for them interesting to high level players.
Interesting rewards would help a lot, especially once the experience rewards from them becomes irrelevant. It feels like many of the existing ones are weighted too, as certain events spawn in most of my games, whereas others I have only seen once or twice in all the games I have made.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
(07-12-2012, 12:03 PM)Mavfin Wrote:
(07-11-2012, 05:28 PM)Jaffa Tamarin Wrote: Maybe I am the person that Blizzard was thinking of when they designed D3 Smile

Both of us. Big Grin

Looks like there's at least three of us.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
(07-13-2012, 07:23 AM)Elric of Grans Wrote: Interesting rewards would help a lot, especially once the experience rewards from them becomes irrelevant. It feels like many of the existing ones are weighted too, as certain events spawn in most of my games, whereas others I have only seen once or twice in all the games I have made.

Yeah, I've been thinking about this some more. Maybe they should look at their events and see which ones could be good ones to drop some rares as rewards. The events would have to be ones that wouldn't be easy to exploit (e.g. near waypoint spawns on fixed maps) and that involve some challenge.
Quote:Yeah, I've been thinking about this some more. Maybe they should look at their events and see which ones could be good ones to drop some rares as rewards. The events would have to be ones that wouldn't be easy to exploit (e.g. near waypoint spawns on fixed maps) and that involve some challenge.

If the levels were actually randomized (vs. static maps with randomized chances to spawn certain event) they could have pulled this off much more effectively. Additionally they can continue on the NV theme, by just making good event rewards begin after you have 4 stacks of NV. This prevents game creation exploits.
Just had a really tense and fun fight with some Illusionist/Waller/Molten/Plagued cultists in Act 2. I won by the skin of my teeth.

Say what you will about inferno balance, items, and replayability (which are all very legit complaints), but D3 definitely has the potential to deliver better combat than either of it's predecessors.
I agree, the potential is there. But the question is, can and will it be fulfilled? Right now, I have no reason to believe it ever will be. Blizz wants it to be this way. The minute the game becomes "too easy' or people can actually start farming most of their gear instead of using the AH come Inferno time, means less profits for Blizzard, and they don't want that to happen. Ahhhh, Capitalism is such a lovely system isnt it?
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
(07-13-2012, 05:39 PM)RedRadical Wrote: Ahhhh, Capitalism is such a lovely system isnt it?
Yes, it is. It allowed Blizzard to make enough on WoW to keep developing D3, which we are playing now. Smile
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Well, they need to eat, and they certainly can't just do this for the goodness of their own hearts.

I don't mind if Blizzard profits from all these sales as it provides a secure outlet. I wonder if it would be fair if Blizz posted a warning on the battle.net front page about how in the EULA it is not accepted to buy/sell on third party sites. Even if this is never enforced, I think a few people might be scared away from those botting sites. :S
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
(07-13-2012, 10:57 PM)Occhidiangela Wrote:
(07-13-2012, 05:39 PM)RedRadical Wrote: Ahhhh, Capitalism is such a lovely system isnt it?
Yes, it is. It allowed Blizzard to make enough on WoW to keep developing D3, which we are playing now. Smile

And we got the horribly flawed, money making cash cow, as Ashock put it, called AH1 instead, and I wonder how many people's labor was exploited to put this mediocre product out, which is trivial anyway since many people who live in this Capitalist society of ours don't have enough to eat or a roof over there head. Yea, a lovely system indeed. Nooooooooooooooot.

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
I am not sure whether irony of hypocrisy is the more appropriate term here...
(07-14-2012, 04:14 AM)Elric of Grans Wrote: I am not sure whether irony of hypocrisy is the more appropriate term here...

Irocrisy? Probably just idiocy though.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
(07-14-2012, 12:20 AM)RedRadical Wrote:
(07-13-2012, 10:57 PM)Occhidiangela Wrote:

And we got the horribly flawed, money making cash cow, as Ashock put it, called AH1 instead, and I wonder how many people's labor was exploited to put this mediocre product out, which is trivial anyway since many people who live in this Capitalist society of ours don't have enough to eat or a roof over there head. Yea, a lovely system indeed. Nooooooooooooooot.
You support it by buying and playing this game. A good little capitalist consumer, yes you are. Buy yourself a drink, while you are at it. That will keep at least one of your fellow prols employed at the bar or liquor store where you conduct the transaction.

Methinks the young lady protesteth overly much
In Memory of Pete
(07-15-2012, 09:57 PM)Occhidiangela Wrote: You support it by buying and playing this game. A good little capitalist consumer, yes you are. Buy yourself a drink, while you are at it. That will keep at least one of your fellow prols employed at the bar or liquor store where you conduct the transaction.

Bolty's diplomacy just got tempers cooled. What are you trying to achieve with this?
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
No worries, Lav. There are numerous flaws and contradictions in his last post that I could easily retort, but I have neither the time, nor interest, to drag this out into a political debate. Let him think what he will, it has no bearing on me anyways. And most here already know my views regardless.

(07-13-2012, 07:23 AM)Elric of Grans Wrote: Interesting rewards would help a lot, especially once the experience rewards from them becomes irrelevant. It feels like many of the existing ones are weighted too, as certain events spawn in most of my games, whereas others I have only seen once or twice in all the games I have made.

I'm starting to wonder if you guys were making fun of me, because I just ran two events in the crypts in Inferno -- the Jar of Souls and the event where you have to return the bones to the correct sarcophagus --, and they each dropped a rare and two blues upon their completion. However, completing the corrupted farm event in the Field of Misery did not drop an item.
The Jar of Souls always drops a bunch of items, and with some magic find boni it can be rewarding. It also happens to be in a good farming area and a common spawn, so why not do it? It is very much an exception to the rule, as most Events reward you with experience (worthless by mid-Hell) and a pittance of gold.
(07-15-2012, 11:16 PM)LavCat Wrote: Bolty's diplomacy just got tempers cooled. What are you trying to achieve with this?
What is needed.
As I see it.

You don't see it that way?
So be it.

Suggest you go back a few years and read my standard rant on free speech. Tell me, when you've read it, how you really feel about trying to censor a fellow Lounger.

Until then

Cheers

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
(07-17-2012, 11:30 PM)Occhidiangela Wrote:
(07-15-2012, 11:16 PM)LavCat Wrote: Bolty's diplomacy just got tempers cooled. What are you trying to achieve with this?
What is needed.
As I see it.

You don't see it that way?
So be it.

Suggest you go back a few years and read my standard rant on free speech. Tell me, when you've read it, how you really feel about trying to censor a fellow Lounger.

Until then

Cheers

Occhi

I am all in favor of free speech, even stupid speech. But if what is needed is the resumption of the level of discourse we were having in this forum, yes, I fail to see it.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."