How do you explain...?
I'm trying to find a way to explain to people the concept that 1.13 attacks per second is faster than 1.00 or such. I can't do it. I've tried saying that if you have 1.00 APS you'll swing ten times in ten seconds, and that if you have 2.00 APS you'll swing twenty times in ten seconds. Can anyone give me a way to break it down further for less numerically-inclined individuals?

Normally I wouldn't worry too much, but these are friends I'm trying to explain it to, just ones who aren't very good at the maths. I'm not sure how to explain a purely mathematical concept to non-mathematical people. I even tried suggesting that a dagger would pretty obviously swing faster than a maul (in game 1.5 versus < 1) but that didn't get through either.

I'm guessing they're confusing APS with frames per attack or something but I just don't know.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhm7-LEBznk
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
I remember when that video was making the rounds on YouTube. I suppose that is more or less my situation. Although the bloke who made the video isn't too bright either, filming while driving.
(07-02-2012, 12:46 PM)Gnollguy Wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhm7-LEBznk

Too funny! And then she doubled it! Actually, MPH might be a good comparison. Solving math with rates and frequencies is apparently almost impossible for people who are "bad at fractions", but I'd best most of them know that higher MPH means something is going faster.
(07-02-2012, 12:06 PM)ViralSpiral Wrote: I'm guessing they're confusing APS with frames per attack or something but I just don't know.

My guess is that they're used to reading WoW weapon speeds.

-Jester
(07-02-2012, 02:05 PM)Jester Wrote: My guess is that they're used to reading WoW weapon speeds.

This. In WoW, your weapons are shown as "seconds per attack," and in Diablo III, "attacks per second." It's probably throwing them way off.

Also, that video has to be fake. Just has to. I can't comprehend a world in which that is not fake.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
(07-02-2012, 03:09 PM)Bolty Wrote: I can't comprehend a world in which that is not fake.

Have you ever seen the movie 'Idiocracy'? Highly recommended. Done by the same folks who did Office Space, I believe. I don't think it was promoted much, for reasons that will be apparent once you watch the movie.
(07-02-2012, 03:09 PM)Bolty Wrote:
(07-02-2012, 02:05 PM)Jester Wrote: My guess is that they're used to reading WoW weapon speeds.

This. In WoW, your weapons are shown as "seconds per attack," and in Diablo III, "attacks per second." It's probably throwing them way off.

This is what I thought of too. Most games I seen got seconds per attack or damage per second in that spot that attacks per second is at. It's like if you read one of those sentences where all the letters are messed up, but like, you can still read them cause your brain can rearrange the letters. Some people just see what they're used to until it's pointed out to them that's it's all messed up. He probably played a lot of other games where it's the other way around.
Eff
(07-02-2012, 03:09 PM)Bolty Wrote: Also, that video has to be fake. Just has to. I can't comprehend a world in which that is not fake.

Sad thing is that, in my experience, I have absolutely no doubt that the video is real. If it isn't, they are terrific actors playing many people I've come across. I once tried to teach someone how to read a tape measure and it became almost as convoluted. Undecided
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Wow. I had a terrible education in math, but... wow.

Try it this way:
Your friends can chose between you giving them 1$ per second, or 1.13$ per second. On second thought, offer this to me please.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Ah, yeah. Turns out she was a WoW player. I never was so I didn't know. That was pretty much the size of it. Cheers, Lurkers!
(07-02-2012, 03:09 PM)Bolty Wrote: Also, that video has to be fake. Just has to. I can't comprehend a world in which that is not fake.

The misogyny alone suggests that... if not, I pity the poor girl on two fronts: Being unable to do basic math, and having a jackass of a boyfriend who films you being an idiot and puts it up on the internet.

-Jester
(07-02-2012, 04:21 PM)Jester Wrote:

The misogyny alone suggests that... if not, I pity the poor girl on two fronts: Being unable to do basic math, and having a jackass of a boyfriend who films you being an idiot and puts it up on the internet.

-Jester

I can't fathom keeping a girlfriend around who's that dumb, no matter how she looks. Tongue
--Mav

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ordps6MbP...re=related
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
(07-02-2012, 04:51 PM)Mavfin Wrote: I can't fathom keeping a girlfriend around who's that dumb, no matter how she looks. Tongue

Agreed, but it's just equally sad that her HUSBAND (wow, I now know they're married, thanks to Gnollguy's post) decided it would be funny to publicly shame his wife like that. The guy's a jerk through-and-through. Yes, she's dumb, but he's worse - he knew better and did that anyway.

Sigh. Humanity sucks.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
(07-02-2012, 07:02 PM)Bolty Wrote:
(07-02-2012, 04:51 PM)Mavfin Wrote: I can't fathom keeping a girlfriend around who's that dumb, no matter how she looks. Tongue

Agreed, but it's just equally sad that her HUSBAND (wow, I now know they're married, thanks to Gnollguy's post) decided it would be funny to publicly shame his wife like that. The guy's a jerk through-and-through. Yes, she's dumb, but he's worse - he knew better and did that anyway.

Sigh. Humanity sucks.

Oh, I agree completely. That's just...neanderthal to do that. Such respect in that marriage. And she stayed with him. Sad
--Mav
(07-02-2012, 07:02 PM)Bolty Wrote: Sigh. Humanity sucks.

I say that more frequently than most who know me would think.
(07-02-2012, 08:21 PM)Tal Wrote:
(07-02-2012, 07:02 PM)Bolty Wrote: Sigh. Humanity sucks.
I say that more frequently than most who know me would think.
What's worse is that they are mostly clueless as to how hard.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Time to sell 2-handers for millions, since as we all know, 0.8 will be the fastest speed for them!

No need to explain things to them, just take their gold.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Just remember Einstein:

"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe."

And Tal, you really should use...

"I love Humanity, it's the people I can't stand." :p
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.