elemental effects ticking faster
Public service announcement (especially to hardcore):

There some evidence that effects like:

Desecrator, Molten, Fire Chains and like effects are ticking significantly faster, or double ticking, resulting in significantly larger damage intake.

Plan your play accordingly.

According to this post:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5...age=16#309

It is not intentional, but people are noticing a damage intake increase, and it's mostly been nailed down to elemental effects.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Well, I guess they are killing me in 0.5 seconds as opposed to 1. I demand my 1/2 second of reaction time back! :p
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Does this apply to Arcane Enchanted? Feels like it does. I had fun being stairtrapped by a Horde/Fast/AE mob earlier. That's known as "reroll the map" time. 32 pewpew death lasers with no room to kite is GG.
I wonder if this also applies to fire grates. In hell diff today, crossed one and barely got touched by the flame as it turned back on but died instantly. I had no sense of lagging to think it left me standing in the hurty stuff either.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Apparently this is extra bad after today's patch, according to reddit and the Blizzard forums. Lots of people saying they're taking way more damage than before.
Finally satisfied that this, in fact, a game in the Diablo series.
(06-30-2012, 08:21 PM)LochnarITB Wrote: I wonder if this also applies to fire grates. In hell diff today, crossed one and barely got touched by the flame as it turned back on but died instantly. I had no sense of lagging to think it left me standing in the hurty stuff either.

I don't like to bring whine from other fora here, but I thought this post on Reddit was pretty informative.
Pasted below:

Quote:Good Evening,

After seeing complaints regarding a "Stealth Buff" to damage, I decided to do some testing.

Method Take 10 hits of damage in full gear and 1 hit of damage naked. This was repeated for the following effects. Tested in Breeched Keep level 2.

Soul Lasher Attack
Frozen
Molten
Plague
Desecrator
Arcane Sentry
Wall of Fire

Armor and Resistances In Gear

Armor: 7105 (69.02% reduction against mLvl63)
All Resist: 802 (71.85% reduction against mLvl63)
No reduction against Melee/Ranged Attacks

Armor and Resistances Naked

Armor: 292 (8.48% reduction against mLvl63)
All Resist: 7 (2.17% reduction against mLvl63)
No reduction against Melee/Ranged Attacks

Soul Lasher Attack

Naked: 68092
Gear: 6600
Reduction: 90%

Frozen

Naked: 62443
Gear: 6000

Molten

Naked: 5986
Gear: 2100
Reduction: 65%

Plague

Naked: 5702
Gear: 1700
Reduction: 70%

Desecrator

Naked: 12643
Gear: 4200
Reduction: 67%

Arcane Sentry

Naked: 68035
Gear: 6600

Wall of Fire

Naked: 13362
Gear: 13359
Reduction: 0%

Analysis

Additional damage reduction from armor alone is 66.4%
Additional damage reduction from resistances alone is 71.22%
Additional damage reduction from both armor and resistances is 90.32%

Soul Lasher, Frozen, and Arcane Sentry Damage was in line with expected damage reduction.

Molten, Desecrator, and Plague Damage only appears to be affected by one source of damage reduction. Experimental values are closer to the expected reduction of only armor, however the expected reduction of only resistances is within the experimental error.

Wall of Fire does not appear to be affected by any sort of damage reduction.

So according to this persons tests, the damage monsters deal actually don't seem to be that out of line with what you can expect, except the fire grates, which aren't reduced at all.
But it's not all that transparent which attack does what kind of damage type, and what it should be reduced by, etc, so who knows.

And I've seen a lot of reports on different experiences with damage intake: some comment on taking 'normal' damage and then taking significantly more damage (think 2-6 x the normal rate), others always seem to take 'more damage' (or just the usual hyperbole), and then others don't seem to be affected at all (I suspect the melee vs ranged issue comes into play here).

So it's kind of a crap shoot and hard to get a definitive answer, as a lot more testing with strict standards needs to be done to get a conclusive answer.
(07-12-2012, 11:26 PM)Kurosu Wrote: So according to this persons tests, the damage monsters deal actually don't seem to be that out of line with what you can expect, except the fire grates, which aren't reduced at all.
But it's not all that transparent which attack does what kind of damage type, and what it should be reduced by, etc, so who knows.

And I've seen a lot of reports on different experiences with damage intake: some comment on taking 'normal' damage and then taking significantly more damage (think 2-6 x the normal rate), others always seem to take 'more damage' (or just the usual hyperbole), and then others don't seem to be affected at all (I suspect the melee vs ranged issue comes into play here).

So it's kind of a crap shoot and hard to get a definitive answer, as a lot more testing with strict standards needs to be done to get a conclusive answer.
I wonder if they have taken into account if the toon has died that game or not and what the damage levels are after a death compared with not dieing at all. There was a bug for awhile in D2 where if you died, you lost the resistance buff from and act 5 quest until you logged out of the game and back in. There had also been a bad bug with how D2 saved and restored the super unique mobs in the game that persisted until patch 1.10 (and almost did not get fixed then, several of us at Phrozen Keep managed to bring it to Peter Hu's attention just a couple of weeks before the 1.10 patch was finalized.) There have been persistent problems in some of Blizzards game when comes to restarting a character/mob after it has been killed or temporarily stored by the game.
Err. Pretty much any elite pool of death is utterly wrecking me in seconds just in act 2 when it didn't happen much. :S
(07-13-2012, 03:08 AM)Archon_Wing Wrote: Err. Pretty much any elite pool of death is utterly wrecking me in seconds just in act 2 when it didn't happen much. :S

This has been my experience as well. I actually went lurking the bnet forums after the patch hit trying to see if there were any comments. The act 2 boss backs that do elemental type damage especially desecrator,lightning seem to be doing a lot more damage. No numbers to back this up but before the patch I thought I had made a breakthrough killing 10 champion packs in a row without dying, now I'm back to getting owned in act 2.

Came across a few Vortex with Arcane Sentry and something else mobs last night in A3 with my WD. Fun stuff. NOT.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
This has been happening for some two weeks now though, although recently it has come to the attention of the general public because of the test that was done in that post I quoted above.

It's somewhat amusing to me, as people who didn't notice it before are suddenly screaming murder, but if they needed someone else to point it out for them, it couldn't have been all that significant to them. Wink
Seems like some kind of a placebo, hehe.
It's quite pathetic that there's been no attempt to address the issue. Even the canned "We are looking into this" would be nice.

But nooo, we need to open more features of the RMAH, and do a terrible job at it.

The priorities from the developers are what is truly insulting.
Actually, according to the Blizzard forums, the blues have said this problem basically doesn't exist. We're just imagining it. Even with hard numerical data and dozens or reports.

In other news, I've gone back to Neverwinter Nights 2 and have pre-ordered Torchlight 2.
Maybe this was obvious to everyone else, but I've long thought that these elemental affixes scale to the base damage of the monster, not their level. And/or perhaps attack animation speed is also included. This would explain alot of what makes certain types much more dangerous as elites than others. (Hello subjugators with your ridiculous melee attack.)
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6080199220#5

lol... well that's just amazing.
Ah, so we were actually all wrong after all.
Well, move along then, nothing left to see here. Wink
I'll bet the guy Korusu quoted is on the right track. Certain attacks could have been mysteriously changed to a non-existant magic type (e.g. magic type "0") during some dubugging process and didn't get put back. I'll bet that it's resistances that aren't being taken into account.
Archon: That's exactly what I was referring to. Note: WarMogul is me. :op
(07-14-2012, 09:45 PM)Archon_Wing Wrote: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6080199220#5

lol... well that's just amazing.

[Image: XF8Vk.jpg]

...?
And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
____________.Not shaking the grass.
-- Ezra Pound, "And the days are not full enough"
I'm confused. I just did a quick Act I tornado farming run and I paid attention to the damage I took due to plague and desecration, and it didn't seem out of line. My resists should account for around a factor of 3 damage reduction, and I haven't noticed suddenly taking 3 times as much damage from those effects. If I'm supposed to be taking 3 times less damage than I am they they would be pretty trivial. In practice, I worry about arcane and fire chains more than the mentioned effects.

Is the claim that only sometimes you don't get the damage reduction? I've looked at some of the forums posts complaining about this, but I found them unclear and contradictory.