elemental effects ticking faster
(07-15-2012, 01:39 AM)MMAgCh Wrote: ...

[Image: XF8Vk.jpg]

...?

Brilliant pic, thanks for the chuckle Smile.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
(07-15-2012, 06:58 AM)ErickTheRed Wrote: I'm confused. I just did a quick Act I tornado farming run and I paid attention to the damage I took due to plague and desecration, and it didn't seem out of line. My resists should account for around a factor of 3 damage reduction, and I haven't noticed suddenly taking 3 times as much damage from those effects. If I'm supposed to be taking 3 times less damage than I am they they would be pretty trivial. In practice, I worry about arcane and fire chains more than the mentioned effects.

Is the claim that only sometimes you don't get the damage reduction? I've looked at some of the forums posts complaining about this, but I found them unclear and contradictory.

No one really knows, there is just a whole bunch of speculation around what could be the cause for this.
Someone should really do some extensive systematized testing regarding this, any volunteers? Smile

The problem with the issue is that no one has any hard facts, just saying "I could farm here before but now I'm dying!" isn't sufficient, since that is simply met with "just your imagination", "learn to play better", "nothing has changed it's you", etc.
If only just to prove the trolls/overly biased Blizzard defenders wrong, or that Blizzard representative who guaranteed that "absolutely no Diablo III game data even changed with 1.0.3b", since it's simply irritating that these people keep posting these aforementioned comments just to rile people up without any logical argumentation.
Note that the Blizzard rep specifically said 1.0.3b, but these issues surfaced after the hotfix on June 28th, which was between 1.0.3a and b.

He also mentions "we've been checking these numbers since 1.0.3 vanilla launched and nothing has changed patch to patch".
This is either simply an outright lie or he's not aware of the issues, because something has definitely changed (again, no proof).

It is an extremely obvious change to those who were farming in Inferno regularly before and after the hotfix.
As for my own experience, I used to do 1 to 3 runs of 15-20 minutes each in act 2 during weekdays before the hotfix, and more on weekends.
I would rarely die, one death every few days was the norm, and this generally happened due to some extraordinary situation, such as getting frozen again right after I used Serenity, or getting walled in completely with multiple Arcane Sentries spinning around.
Of course, I still needed to move out of elemental pools and Sentries and the like, but I could stand in them for a while, and I simply had more leeway in making errors.

Since the hotfix, I had significantly upgraded my resistances and HP by acquiring a few new armour pieces, while my damage/armor were about the same, and I noticed I was taking extreme amounts of damage from some sources.
For example, I could barely stand in any pools without seeing my HP total vanish, and often I didn't even have time to use Serenity, as my HP goes from 100% to 15%> within 1 second, and there seems to be a small delay before it actually activates even with low latency, so I often end up dead while pressing the hotkey for it with 15%> HP remaining.
Such a scenario has never happened before the hotfix, and now it seems to be the standard for elites with molten/desecrator, etc.

In short, my deaths went from:
Surrounded, Serenity already used and slowly dying because my damage/LoH was insufficient compared to the damage taken.

To:
Dying almost instantly without even a chance to use Serenity.

That's how I personally felt that something has definitely changed, and I find it insulting on some level that the Blizzard rep says "absolutely nothing has changed".
My own solution to this was to focus my equipment to DPS items rather than defensive ones.
I went from around 40k HP, 900 RA, 6000 armour, 18k DPS and 1800 LoH to 30k HP, 500 RA, 7000 armour, 41k DPS and 900 LoH as a monk.
My plan of action is to try to kill elites with the increased damage in the window of opportunity my 4 second Serenity and my Blind provides, and take pot shots on them while running around dodging things if 1 cycle of these skills isn't enough.

I actually kill faster than before because of the higher DPS, and I feel my character is better overall compared to the old build, but deaths always occur in the same scenario: immobilization coupled with some sort of elemental damage followed by instant death.
Dying like that two times in a row racks up a 9000 gold repair bill, and usually means I'm done for the day, as it makes me feel cheated and completely kills my mood for the loot hunt.
Quote:Vasadan
Quality Assurance

If there is a bug in there somewhere, that is one thing.

My comment on the blue post is that he himself does not rule out a bug causing this that hasn't been isolated/duplicated yet, but he is simply saying no one has changed the values for the elemental damage or resists.

Sounds like that if this is a bug, it's intermittent, or triggered by some other condition, because, as others have pointed out, including Erick, not everyone sees it, and it's very inconsistent when seen. Until then, the guy posting was just saying that no values were changed, and acknowledging that there could be a bug.

Intermittent bugs that no one can duplicate or say how to trigger them are a huge PITA to find. I've read through the thread, and there's no real 'proof' of anything. It's like Ony's deep breaths at this point. When someone figures out how to trigger the condition in a duplicatable way, then a bug can be fixed if it exists.
--Mav
I'll bet it has to do with resist values - people with extremely high or low resists aren't noticing the difference, either because their resists are so high it doesn't make much difference or so low they die quickly anyhow. The median are probably the ones suffering - they notice the extra damage because they go from "survivable, if rough" to "why am I dead?"
Finally satisfied that this, in fact, a game in the Diablo series.
(07-14-2012, 01:31 AM)ViralSpiral Wrote: Actually, according to the Blizzard forums, the blues have said this problem basically doesn't exist. We're just imagining it. Even with hard numerical data and dozens or reports.

In other news, I've gone back to Neverwinter Nights 2 and have pre-ordered Torchlight 2.

They (blizzard) got your sixty bucks.
Cha Ching.
I hope you got enough hours of game play out of D III to feel good about the purchase.

Best wishes on Torchlight II. I am also envious of you lot who have been through hell and into Inferno. I almost never get to play. It's rather depressing.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
(07-15-2012, 04:12 PM)Mavfin Wrote:
Quote:Vasadan
Quality Assurance

If there is a bug in there somewhere, that is one thing.

My comment on the blue post is that he himself does not rule out a bug causing this that hasn't been isolated/duplicated yet, but he is simply saying no one has changed the values for the elemental damage or resists.

Sounds like that if this is a bug, it's intermittent, or triggered by some other condition, because, as others have pointed out, including Erick, not everyone sees it, and it's very inconsistent when seen. Until then, the guy posting was just saying that no values were changed, and acknowledging that there could be a bug.

Intermittent bugs that no one can duplicate or say how to trigger them are a huge PITA to find. I've read through the thread, and there's no real 'proof' of anything. It's like Ony's deep breaths at this point. When someone figures out how to trigger the condition in a duplicatable way, then a bug can be fixed if it exists.

Mav, it's not what he said, but how he said it. There were a lot more diplomatic ways to say, "yes, there might be a bug, but coefficients haven't changed. we can look into the bug if we can get more data and look at what the root cause is. I'll lock this thread and note it for something to check on in our QA," instead of, "there might be a bug, but nothing has changed. closing thread." And now you wonder why I say Blizzard's QA has gotten worse over time, it's commentary like this that shows why it's gotten worse.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Explains a lot to me, i was going along fine in Hell and all of a sudden anything that had a element effect was knocking me for 6.
Arcane feel the worst for my Barb, had them appear under me, and you die because you can't even see it until it's too late.

Just goes to prove why i don't play HC, feel sorry for you guys that lose a toon because of patch stuff ups.
The guy who responded was a QA person -- i.e. a bug finder. The way it works is this:

1. Someone reports damage has increased with the new patch!
2. QA person checks the damage tables from one patch to the next. Nope, they haven't.
3. Ticket closed.

What needs to happen now is much more specific testing of what's going on -- similar to what the person Korusu quoted did, only more extensive. If the community can nail down exactly what's going on, then the bug report can be more specific about what the problem is. For example, if it's that certain elemental effects are not being affected by resistances, then that is what needs to be tested with lots of good data.
I've only done some cursory testing so far, but as far as I can tell, it's not something so simple as "molten always ignores armor OR resistance". I was swapping values around and it was clear both were respected, and dying once and returning didn't change that either. It's more likely something intermittent. My suspicion is it has something to do with how certain boss affixes are combining. Every boss have four so there's plenty potential to keep hitting a similar problematic combo over and over.
I wonder if "Fast" makes elemental damage over time attacks tick faster.