You Hardcore guys are crazy!
Red, you are missing the point. We are not tanking the meteors (the first, maybe, but not the meteors): we are dodging them. When it does 0 damage, you can have 1 HP and no resists: he does not hit you at all Tongue

What we do is we stand still, watch what is happening very carefully, then move only when we need to. It is really easy to survive if you ensure you are never hit by a single meteor. The graphical effect acts as a countdown. It is very easy to move out just before impact into a nearby area. Half the time you can stand in areas where there are no metors coming (yet); the rest of the time, you just need to make sure you are standing on the spot where you have the longest before they arrive (then move onto spaces just after they had an impact, as they are now safe for a while).
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Wait. I'm confused on what people are calling "meteors" in this context. Are you talking about the single ones that Belial does along the way that are related to his arm slams? Or are you talking about the massive pool of puddles that he does periodically? Or both?

With the single ones he does along the way, I try to move out of the way when the green stuff appears under my feet. Sometimes I get hit and sometimes not. (When I get hit, I pop a health orb or swallow a potion). With the massive pool of puddles, I usually run around, Diamond Skin when I can't help but get hit by a tick of the puddles and if I get trapped on all sides, I use teleport to pop over to a relatively open spot.

However, I would love to hear if there's a better way of doing Belial before I get to him on Inferno. If you're saying that all of those puddles that I had all this time thought were dot's are in fact spike damage meteors, then yes, I would love a video showing how to dodge them. And for that matter, I'd love to know how to consistently dodge the single ones he does along the way, too. I keep feeling like they should always be dodgeable, but I tend to have a maybe 50-50 shot at dodging them. There are plenty of times where I think I'm out of the circle but his arm slams down and hits me anyway, so I'm really confused about the mechanics of how the fight works.

Offensively, I love switching in Energy Twister/Mistral Breeze (the 20 AP cost Energy Twister). During the third phase, it's not like you're going to miss Belial, and the twisters do an amazing amount of damage. When I tested it out, I killed Belial about 30% faster using ET/MB than using Ray of Frost/Snowblast. The problem is, as noted above, that you have to get to phase 3. Up through hell, this hasn't been a problem. ET/MB with venom hydra has been enough to kill things while they're being held down by defensive spells (or party members if I'm in a group), but in Inferno, I'm sure I'll have to use a different spell to kill things in phase 2.

Edit: Note that I was writing my post at the same time Elric just posted his message above mine. OK, so "meteors" in this context are the numerous puddles. OK, yes Frag, I would love a video to see how this works, and I'll pay a lot more attention to this as I'm leveling up again (*sigh*). Thanks, this helps. Any suggestions for dodging the fist attacks that occur along the way?
(07-06-2012, 06:57 PM)Concillian Wrote: If you play with the mindset that all time playing the game is time wasted, then you feel less "invested" in a character.

If I had the mindset that all my time playing the game was wasted, I'd be spending more time out in the sun and not playing the game at all!
The arm slams follow a strict pattern. If you observe it a few times (eg in Normal) you can learn the pattern. Because it is in a pattern, you can dodge the first one in a particular way as to ensure the subsequent arm slams are nowhere near you. The double-arm slam is probably impossible to dodge through walking, in my experience, and requires a movement skills (eg Teleport) to evade.

The circles are a terrible warning for the arm-slams, because the hurt-boxes on them are WAY larger than the circle. You need to be WELL away from the area to dodge them.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Oh, man. I just ran Belial in nightmare -- this time watching for the meteor splashes -- and it was so easy. I saw which circles spawned first, got close to one, waited for the splash, moved onto it, saw the next splash, walked onto that spot, and so on. It was ridiculously easy. Now, I need to go back and learn that pattern you're talking about with the arm slams. Once I get that down, then I can focus on my skills on getting through phase 2, because it seems like phase 3 can be done without taking a hit.

Any advice on not getting hit by his breath? I still need that achievement.
The far right side seems to be where he directs it the least often. I have gotten through it unfazed via Diamond Skin on the rare occasions he brings it all the way to the right.
Finally satisfied that this, in fact, a game in the Diablo series.