Mutant Chronicles is one of my all-time fav movies, but no one else has seen it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS9jv8ejIgY

It really has everything I love in a movie. It has a badass band of heroes fighting alien zombies. It's technically sci-fi, but in this future technology has regressed. Much of the technology ranges from WW1-era to steampunk. There are steampunk flying machines which are awesome.

The cast is quite outstanding. Thomas Jane (I really love this actor) is the lead protagonist (edit: why did i originally say "antagonist"?), and Ron Perlman and John Malkovich also play major roles.

If I had to quickly describe Mutant Chronicles, I'd have to say it's a mash-up of Dawn of the Dead, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, 300, and Saving Private Ryan. For me, it's the ULTIMATE guy's film.
I'm pretty sure I've seen it a couple times. Is there a segment where Ron Perlman and company drop down a shaft by rope and the rope doesn't reach the bottom? If so, it's been on cable a couple times recently.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(06-12-2012, 03:37 AM)DeeBye Wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS9jv8ejIgY

It really has everything I love in a movie. It has a badass band of heroes fighting alien zombies. It's technically sci-fi, but in this future technology has regressed. Much of the technology ranges from WW1-era to steampunk. There are steampunk flying machines which are awesome.

The cast is quite outstanding. Thomas Jane (I really love this actor) is the lead antagonist, and Ron Perlman and John Malkovich also play major roles.

If I had to quickly describe Mutant Chronicles, I'd have to say it's a mash-up of Dawn of the Dead, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, 300, and Saving Private Ryan. For me, it's the ULTIMATE guy's film.

I've not seen the movie, but I'm pretty sure "the ULTIMATE guy's film" was what they were shooting for with The Expendables. Of course, us guys can never have too many awesome movies.

Mutant Chronicles looks interesting. I'll have to see if I can catch it on cable / netflix / hulu
I've got it in my Netflix queue now.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
(06-12-2012, 04:13 PM)Gnollguy Wrote: I've got it in my Netflix queue now.
I'll try to watch it tonight then!
(06-12-2012, 07:26 AM)LochnarITB Wrote: I'm pretty sure I've seen it a couple times. Is there a segment where Ron Perlman and company drop down a shaft by rope and the rope doesn't reach the bottom? If so, it's been on cable a couple times recently.

Yep, that's the one.

(06-12-2012, 01:31 PM)RiotInferno Wrote: I've not seen the movie, but I'm pretty sure "the ULTIMATE guy's film" was what they were shooting for with The Expendables.

The Expendables was alright, but it lacked mutant zombies.
(06-12-2012, 04:22 PM)RiotInferno Wrote:
(06-12-2012, 04:13 PM)Gnollguy Wrote: I've got it in my Netflix queue now.
I'll try to watch it tonight then!

It wasn't available for streaming for me, as a little FYI.
Intolerant monkey.
(06-13-2012, 12:05 AM)Treesh Wrote: It wasn't available for streaming for me, as a little FYI.

I gotta admit I originally found it via Bittorrent. I saw a trailer online and just HAD to watch it, and could not find it anywhere for purchase. Then one day I was in a grocery store buying a loaf of bread and they had a discount DVD bin beside the "10 items or less" line. Right on top, staring me in the face, was a brand new sealed Mutant Chronicles DVD for 3 bucks. I was a happy guy that day.
(06-13-2012, 02:12 AM)DeeBye Wrote:
(06-13-2012, 12:05 AM)Treesh Wrote: It wasn't available for streaming for me, as a little FYI.

I gotta admit I originally found it via Bittorrent. I saw a trailer online and just HAD to watch it, and could not find it anywhere for purchase. Then one day I was in a grocery store buying a loaf of bread and they had a discount DVD bin beside the "10 items or less" line. Right on top, staring me in the face, was a brand new sealed Mutant Chronicles DVD for 3 bucks. I was a happy guy that day.

I should have said streaming on Netflix.

Nice on the bargain bin find though. =D Gotta love those.
Intolerant monkey.
Hi,

"Steampunk", "Zombies" and "John Malkovich" in the same move? I'm sold - added the movie to my queue. Thanks DeeBye!

There have been several great movies already I would have missed without the Lurker Lounge. Heart

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
Maybe not the ultimate guy movie, but how about Zombieland?
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
(06-13-2012, 04:28 PM)LavCat Wrote: Maybe not the ultimate guy movie, but how about Zombieland?

I found it to be surprisingly enjoyable. It was on cable a couple months ago and I decided to give it a go, based on positive reviews, even though the description read like B movie made to catch the zombie wave. For anyone that hasn't seen it, add it to your list.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
if you want the back story of Mutant Chronicles movie, it's goes back to the Mutant Chronicles RPG. The gist is that technology regressed due to the Dark Symmetry being able to take control of technology. So in order to abate the advances of the Dark Legion which serves the Dark Symmetry, everyone went back to using tech that couldn't be controlled by the Dark Symmetry (thus the steam punk feel). Each of the corporations represents one of the WWII powers, Capitol being the US, Imperial being the UK, Bahaus being Germany, and Mishima being Japan. The Brotherhood is modelled on the Catholic Church of the Dark Ages/Middle Ages.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
(06-13-2012, 07:35 PM)Lissa Wrote: if you want the back story of Mutant Chronicles movie, it's goes back to the Mutant Chronicles RPG
It's not just a PnP RPG, it's also my most beloved tabletop of all time, by leaps and bounds Heart

[Image: mutantchroniclesbox.jpg]
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
(06-13-2012, 04:28 PM)LavCat Wrote: Maybe not the ultimate guy movie, but how about Zombieland?

I loved Zombieland so much. What a great movie.
(06-13-2012, 11:30 PM)DeeBye Wrote:

I loved Zombieland so much. What a great movie.

FYI for anyone interested. Zombieland is showing on cable tonight, on FX.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
I need feedback from other people who have seen Mutant Chronicles. I've led you to this oasis, now you must tell me if the water is drinkable.
A friend of mine complained:

Quote:Old news. I saw a synopsis of the script years before it was actually put together, and even when it was released (in Europe), it was in an unfinished form. This isn't really Mutant Chronicles. It's some vague post-apocalyptic movie that borrows names for a few characters, and some very tangential elements, for the sake of branding. If you take a look at the movie poster, you can get ample warning from that alone that it really has little to do with the actual setting in any of its forms.

For starters, it's on Earth. The Dark Legion? It's just some alien device in Europe, turning people into mutants. Mitch Hunter? Some guy with a shotgun. The Brotherhood? Vaguely religious people in robes. All the power-armor, over-the-top weaponry, retro-WWI styling, etc., of the books and the art? Not a hint of it here. Mega-cities, terraformed planets, genetically-engineered dinosaurs? Nuh-uh.

I know it's geek-cliche to say, "Wah! It's nothing like the book/game/TV show!" but, seriously, it isn't. It's nothing I lose sleep over -- I mean, it's not like many people have even heard of it, let alone care - but it's still a stinker with the name of a cheesy franchise I had some fond memories of draped over it, so I find that a bit sad.
(06-21-2012, 11:43 PM)Tuftears Wrote: A friend of mine complained:
*snip*

I never even knew it was based on anything when I first watched it. I enjoyed it for what it was - a mindless sci-fi action movie with monsters and a band of talented killers. I gather that I probably would have enjoyed it less if I was actually into the Mutant Chronicle thing beforehand.
(06-21-2012, 04:54 AM)DeeBye Wrote: I need feedback from other people who have seen Mutant Chronicles. I've led you to this oasis, now you must tell me if the water is drinkable.

Put it this way... I watched the movie by streaming it from my PC to the TV, and when the router dropped out about halfway through the film, I didn't bother resetting it and instead went to bed.

It didn't make me cringe, but neither did it draw my attention much either.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields