Inferno Diablo Kill
Bolty embedded this video on the front page, but I wanted to make some comments about it, so here it is again:

It's a fascinating video. Despite all the deaths, I definitely saw a lot of skill in play in the avoidance of many of Diablo's attacks. Since I'm playing a Wizard, this was a good video to watch to learn someone else's tactics. Offensively, the Wizard only used Magic Missle-Seeker shots with some sort of Magic Weapon boost (I'm guessing Blood Magic, but perhaps Force Weapon). This obviously allowed him to stay as far away as possible and yet provide OK dps, since the Magic Missles were guaranteed to hit.

Defensively, Energy Armor - Force Armor was used in full force along with Diamond Skin. It almost makes me wonder if a Wizard should just forgo vitality in Inferno and just count on Force Armor to save them. Almost. Frost Nova was used to stop Diablo in his tracks when he charged the Wizard. Otherwise, the Wizard tried to keep Diablo at the top left corner of the screen, giving him the largest time possible to avoid Diablo's ranged attacks.

One suggestion I would make for him is to equip Teleport, which would have saved him from a few deaths. He perhaps could have gone without Hydra.

It was good to see that contrary to rumors, the healing wells still exist in Diablo's encounter in Inferno difficulty.

Looking at the fight, though, I think it's possible to do in hardcore. It'll take a lot of practice, and there isn't much room for error. However, it does seem like all of Diablo's attacks are avoidable, if one is very carefully looking for them. It does make me think that before stepping into Inferno difficulty, I'll need to go back and make a softcore Wizard on which I can practice tactics.

Edit: I had originally stated that he hadn't used Hydra during the fight. Watching the video again, I was mistaken.
The other thing to note in that fight is that the two melee characters, the barbarian and monk, were surviving just fine in melee range. They had to move around a bit to avoid things, but they did just fine -- in stark contrast to Blizzard forum posters saying that melee can't play in inferno difficulty.
(05-21-2012, 07:53 PM)MongoJerry Wrote: but they did just fine -- in stark contrast to Blizzard forum posters saying that melee can't play in inferno difficulty.

Blizzard forum posters say lots of things.

For example , Blizzard forum posters are very sure that the new crop of D3 hacks is Blizzard's fault, too, but, any other site I go to is sure it's just a new crop of no-authenticator people for the hackers to feast on, which is what I think, too.
--Mav
(05-21-2012, 07:53 PM)MongoJerry Wrote: The other thing to note in that fight is that the two melee characters, the barbarian and monk, were surviving just fine in melee range. They had to move around a bit to avoid things, but they did just fine -- in stark contrast to Blizzard forum posters saying that melee can't play in inferno difficulty.

In fairness Diablo is one of the weaker denizens of Inferno... you should've watched how many deaths it took them to reach him.
(05-21-2012, 08:14 PM)Mavfin Wrote: Blizzard forum posters say lots of things.

For example , Blizzard forum posters are very sure that the new crop of D3 hacks is Blizzard's fault, too, but, any other site I go to is sure it's just a new crop of no-authenticator people for the hackers to feast on, which is what I think, too.

If this thread on the Blizzard forum is correct, then apparently people with authenticators can be hacked. At least they can be if they've been in public games.

Edit: Bashiok says no one with authenticators have been hacked, so I'll chalk this one up to mass paranoia.
I'm surprised that Blizzard allows players to be resurrected during the set encounters. They removed the ability to cast town portals and made most of the encounters into "cage matches" preventing characters from running very far. It would seem sensible to prevent the use of resurrection during these battles as well -- kind of like how you can't use Mass Resurrection or most resurrection spells during combat in WoW. (One-time DK and druid abilities excepted).
It takes time to res someone though. I've died once trying to rez someone while being pursued by a Fast champion pack.
(05-22-2012, 10:08 PM)Tuftears Wrote: It takes time to res someone though. I've died once trying to rez someone while being pursued by a Fast champion pack.

Yes, I understand that, and I see that it involves some danger. I'm just suggesting that it shouldn't be allowed during the set piece encounters just as town portals are not allowed in them. I'm not suggesting that they take it away in other areas.