Is D3 really terrible?
(05-20-2012, 04:17 AM)MongoJerry Wrote: This is the 21st century. Upgrade from your Apple IIe's and join the rest of the technology using community. All games are going to be internet only going forward. World of Warcraft has been doing it for years.

This might be the most neckbearded comment I have ever seen on this forum.
(05-20-2012, 04:17 AM)MongoJerry Wrote: [SNIP: Wall of Truth]

Your only having played normal just shows your complete ignorance, too, because while normal is wonderful, nightmare is where the game really starts, with some scary champion and boss mod combinations. Hell and Inferno are going to be jarring.

Something that one needs to keep in mind is that Blizzard has to keep with the times and stick with industry trends. `Normal' mode in games today is essentially a casual mode. It allows the widest possible audience to play the game, have a bit of fun and generate great big wads of cash for the companies involved. The next level up (Nightmare, in this case) is geared for the serious gamers, and higher difficulty levels are for the hardcore. You see this in most games today, and I am not in the least bit surprised that Blizzard did not buck the trend. They would have to be foolish, from a marketing and sales point of view, not to.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Normal wasn't any easier than D2 normal, in fact for "casuals" it was quite harder. Don't forget you were going through D2 normal without any of your skills, because you hadn't reached your skill point dump yet. Casuals weren't doing that.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Neither was I; I am not a power gamer. In fact, my first character was a Fire Arrow Bowazon, and in full knowledge of the bow bug.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
(05-20-2012, 12:32 AM)ClamsAreHot Wrote: Haven't played it, don't have to. I agree with Armin. As far as I can tell people who like D3 are diehard fanboys who have just deluded themselves into enjoying it because they really *want* to enjoy a new Diablo game. The worst part is these people actually make excuses for all the negative aspects of the game, generally in a very condescending tone. Anyway, it's a waste of $60. You can still play Diablo 1 for free. Spending money on this game simply motivates companies like Blizzard to keep putting out crap because they know the dumb masses will buy anything. Have some principles fellas.

Incorrect sir. I'm hardly a so-called fanboy, in fact, I am in general very heavily critical of Blizzard as a company, and the only series I ever really cared for that they have made is the Diablo Series. But that doesnt change the fact that D3 is an outstanding game - even if I couldnt care less about Blizz's other games.

Besides, your opinion lacks any merit if you have never played it.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
(05-20-2012, 05:19 AM)DeeBye Wrote:
(05-20-2012, 04:17 AM)MongoJerry Wrote: This is the 21st century. Upgrade from your Apple IIe's and join the rest of the technology using community. All games are going to be internet only going forward. World of Warcraft has been doing it for years.

This might be the most neckbearded comment I have ever seen on this forum.

Lol, yeah perhaps that's a more accurate term than fanboy. Neckbeard liberal kids whose tastes haven't matured in the last decade.
Wow, I just tried the free starter edition with a guest pass. This game sucks balls. Controls suck, graphics suck, I had to try to kill myself to even be at any risk of death, there is no customization at all, the characters suck, the voiceovers suck, the events suck, the abilities suck, D3 really sucks some big ol' stinky balls, worse than I even thought it would. Deleted, back to Path of Exile. It ain't perfect, but it's way better than the utter crap that is D3. And no, I'm not going to wallow through multiple difficulties of acts to get to endgame where fanboys will claim D3 doesn't suck anymore. Regardless of whether Act 1 normal is easier or more boring than other acts/difficulties, the controls, skills thus far, graphics, and voiceover all suck nuts. I can't see how anyone but a child could enjoy this funky game that is about two decades backwards in progression for this type of game.

edit: There's so many things wrong with this game, I forgot to mention how short the acts are. The game is repetitive and boring.
Wow. Joined Apr 2005 and only 23 posts. Good lurking skills. Pity about the troll ban :p
(05-20-2012, 07:48 AM)Elric of Grans Wrote: Something that one needs to keep in mind is that Blizzard has to keep with the times and stick with industry trends. `Normal' mode in games today is essentially a casual mode. It allows the widest possible audience to play the game, have a bit of fun and generate great big wads of cash for the companies involved. The next level up (Nightmare, in this case) is geared for the serious gamers, and higher difficulty levels are for the hardcore. You see this in most games today, and I am not in the least bit surprised that Blizzard did not buck the trend. They would have to be foolish, from a marketing and sales point of view, not to.

It's nonsense really. Little kids with crap coordination used to play games like Ghosts N Goblins, Castlevania, Mega Man, etc. Getting their butts kicked just gave them a reason to replay. It was ultimately casual as well because you could play half an hour and probably were killed by something and go could eat cookies or bug your sister or something. Not like anyone other than the hardcore actually expected to play through the entire game.

Edit: Of course there *should* be progressive difficulty. It is more a question of pacing and also the nature of that challenge.
Well, reading through the troll posts was a good beak at work. To be honest I'm not all that interested in the game so far. There have been a lot of improvements made as mentioned including character progression and the way skills are picked now. I really wish I could drag and drop the four skills so that I could order them in something approaching an intuitive order. That's more of an aggravation though. The graphics are super pretty on my machine - which is brutal overkill for this game - and it seems to run very well on a vast range of systems. Also, I don't really have any complaints about having to be online even to play single player. Stop piracy, pay for the games, keep the industry moving blah blah blah fine by me really.

I think the story is the killer though. I truly think it's awful. I'm so detached from it that I can't even keep track of what I'm doing or why. I'm in the middle of act II and I already want to feed most of the NPC's to whatever prime or lesser evil I can find because I find them either obnoxious or boring. Just can't find myself caring about what happens in the game at this point. Seems to be more rehash, and the only thing that keeps me playing is new shinies and not what's going to happen with the story.

I wish Torchlight 2 was still in development instead of almost ready for release so they could cannibalize the improvements that were made in D3 and add them to their game.

Also, if you want greater difficulty play Hardcore. I'll keep playing because a lot of my friends are, but after one normal mode playthrough I'm probably only going to play hardcore after that.
Currently a PoE junkie. Wheeeeee
(05-22-2012, 11:10 PM)VinnieJones Wrote: I really wish I could drag and drop the four skills so that I could order them in something approaching an intuitive order. That's more of an aggravation though.

If you have elective mode turned on you can (it's under options > gameplay )
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
You sir are still made of win. Thank you very much!
Currently a PoE junkie. Wheeeeee