Creation of battlenet account
I quit playing WOW so long ago that I never created a battlenet account. In anticipation of D3, I thought I would go ahead and create one, but after filling out all of the "create new account" information, I get the error message that my email address is "already in use". So then I tried the "I forgot my password" option, thinking that perhaps I had created an account which I forgot and just got another error message. I cannot even submit a support ticket. Perhaps I have to have a blizzard game requiring a battle net account to even create one. I still have d2 installed but you do not need a battle net account to play that. I suppose I am missing something elementary, but my concern is that I buy D3 and then cannot play it because of this silly kind of issue. Actually that might be a good thing. My lack of excitement about its release surprises even me.
(05-13-2012, 03:30 AM)Thenryb Wrote: I quit playing WOW so long ago that I never created a battlenet account. In anticipation of D3, I thought I would go ahead and create one, but after filling out all of the "create new account" information, I get the error message that my email address is "already in use". So then I tried the "I forgot my password" option, thinking that perhaps I had created an account which I forgot and just got another error message. I cannot even submit a support ticket. Perhaps I have to have a blizzard game requiring a battle net account to even create one. I still have d2 installed but you do not need a battle net account to play that. I suppose I am missing something elementary, but my concern is that I buy D3 and then cannot play it because of this silly kind of issue. Actually that might be a good thing. My lack of excitement about its release surprises even me.

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/...nt-faq#q-3

Your Blizzard account from WoW was automatically merged into a battle.net one. Do you remember which email account you used to initially set up the WoW account? Supposedly they mailed out something that explains things more, but I don't know how much it actually explained or if you've even still got the email after all this time. Odd that it threw an error on the forgot password deal though rather than sending out an email.
Intolerant monkey.
(05-13-2012, 03:42 AM)Treesh Wrote:
(05-13-2012, 03:30 AM)Thenryb Wrote: I quit playing WOW so long ago that I never created a battlenet account. In anticipation of D3, I thought I would go ahead and create one, but after filling out all of the "create new account" information, I get the error message that my email address is "already in use". So then I tried the "I forgot my password" option, thinking that perhaps I had created an account which I forgot and just got another error message. I cannot even submit a support ticket. Perhaps I have to have a blizzard game requiring a battle net account to even create one. I still have d2 installed but you do not need a battle net account to play that. I suppose I am missing something elementary, but my concern is that I buy D3 and then cannot play it because of this silly kind of issue. Actually that might be a good thing. My lack of excitement about its release surprises even me.

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/...nt-faq#q-3

Your Blizzard account from WoW was automatically merged into a battle.net one. Do you remember which email account you used to initially set up the WoW account? Supposedly they mailed out something that explains things more, but I don't know how much it actually explained or if you've even still got the email after all this time. Odd that it threw an error on the forgot password deal though rather than sending out an email.
I remember the email address I used to set up my original WOW account and I am sure I remember the account name but not the password. There is an option recover passwords for those who have not played WOW since 2009 but that form requires some "mobile number" (I assume this refers to a cell phone number) which I do not use. I will need to call the phone number for support, which I probably should have done anyway rather than bother you all with this. Thanks, Treesh, for your response.
As it turns out a battle net account had been created by someone other than me using my email address. After a substantial time on hold I got it squared away.
(05-13-2012, 05:27 PM)Thenryb Wrote: As it turns out a battle net account had been created by someone other than me using my email address. After a substantial time on hold I got it squared away.

Glad you got things squared away. Sucks that someone other than you was using your email address though.
Intolerant monkey.
(05-13-2012, 05:51 PM)Treesh Wrote:
(05-13-2012, 05:27 PM)Thenryb Wrote: As it turns out a battle net account had been created by someone other than me using my email address. After a substantial time on hold I got it squared away.

Glad you got things squared away. Sucks that someone other than you was using your email address though.

That is actually what battlenet now requires as your account name, the email address associated with its creation as the account name.