Going in cold.
Having never played any of the Diablo series I am thinking about starting play with limited or no research on how things work. My problem is that I tend to get attached to toons. Besides class, are there irreversible decisions while leveling up a character that would result in that character being unsuitable for max difficulty play?
Nope! The only thing you can't change is softcore (you rez after dying) /hardcore (death is permanent).
To expand on what RTM said: Unlike D2, you are not locked into any of your choices. You can change your skill combos anytime you need to, and attribute points are automatically allocated on levelng.

There is a cooldown on skill changes, but it's like 5 seconds, I think, more to discourage people doing it *in combat* or something, and, there's a buff that gives you MF or better drops from bosses/champs/rares that goes away if you change your skills around when the buff is up, but that's on a per-session basis, not a long-term thing.

That's my best understanding of it at this time.

No more getting a new build to Hell and finding out you have to reroll.
--Mav
I think this is something I'm actually looking forward to. I have my Witch Doctor who I have sort of planned out, but when I look at the other classes I get kind of lost. I just don't feel like I have the want to really sit down and figure out what is what and plan things. So I'm at a point where I'm feeling like it is going to be really fun to make something like a Wizard and just play it. Use new skills as they become available and just have no intended plan of action. I am really looking forward to that D3 will allow you to just play and not get punished for having no clue about the skills until you actually get them and try them. That "by the seat of your pants" style of play does have appeal to me and I think might even in the end be the way to go more than planning things. It might build more of a bond with a Toon cause there will be a kind of growing together feel.
(05-07-2012, 08:13 PM)Mavfin Wrote: There is a cooldown on skill changes, but it's like 5 seconds, I think, more to discourage people doing it *in combat* or something, and, there's a buff that gives you MF or better drops from bosses/champs/rares that goes away if you change your skills around when the buff is up, but that's on a per-session basis, not a long-term thing.
And to clarify a little further: the cooldown upon changing skills supposedly is considerably longer on the higher difficulty levels, and the buff to drop quantity/quality (which goes by the...magniloquent name of "Nephalem Valour") only kicks in once you've maxed out your character's level at 60.

In other words, through Normal difficulty at the very least, you're free to experiment however much you like, without experiencing much in the way of "downtime" while the skill swap timer ticks down or any other drawbacks. Smile
And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
____________.Not shaking the grass.
-- Ezra Pound, "And the days are not full enough"
I can't tell you how happy I am with this change. No more having to completely plan out your character(s) in advance. No worry about misclicking and putting points/stats in the wrong place. You make your toon and go. If you find out a skill you thought would be cool isn't fun for you, you can just change out of it. So wonderful.

Edit: Oh, and no more "Well crap, I thought I had enough strength/dexterity to wear this item type, but no" because the items don't have those requirements, just level and class reqs.
Intolerant monkey.
Thanks to all for the responses.