Size to install.
Any estimates on how much space will be needed to install D3? I'm constantly in a crunch for finding enough hard drive space for things and so am going to have to deliberately make room for it. The installer is 7.60G and the D3 specs say it requires 12G so I'm estimating 19.60G to get it installed and then I should get that 7.60G back after I delete the installer. That sound about right to everyone?
Hey Swirly,

Sounds about right. Or if you have two drives keep the 7.6GB setup files on one drive and 12GB free on another that you plan to install in. If you're that strapped for space I'm thinking you can put the 7.6GB setup files on a external drive/device and then install to your computer drive on May 15th... but that would be slow transfer rates I'm thinking!
(05-02-2012, 01:46 AM)MonTy Wrote: If you're that strapped for space I'm thinking you can put the 7.6GB setup files on a external drive/device and then install to your computer drive on May 15th... but that would be slow transfer rates I'm thinking!

Now that is a good idea! If I move the install to a usb drive I'll have enough space without having to delete anything more. I wonder how much that would actually slow the install. I do have some stuff I don't want to get rid of that I could move for the moment though. So that actually helps a ton. Can move those, install, delete installer, then move them back. Good thoughts there Monty.
USB is pretty slow, it might be a pain to install from USB.
Also keep in mind, that sometimes archives need to be unpacked before install. So the total space requirement during install may be installer + unpacked archives in a temporary location + installed program. Don't know if the diablo installer works this way.
Yea, USB drive would probably be like an hour and a half- assuming you're using USB 2.0 which is around 60 MB/s. If no external HD then you're best bet is probably just to make around 20GB space on your drive.
(05-03-2012, 01:19 AM)MonTy Wrote: Yea, USB drive would probably be like an hour and a half- assuming you're using USB 2.0 which is around 60 MB/s. If no external HD then you're best bet is probably just to make around 20GB space on your drive.

The usb drive idea gives me the option to move other stuff off temporarily though. Like possibly WoW since it can be safely moved around. That way the installer can be ran from the regular hard drive and then the stuff on the usb drive can be moved back after. So should work out alright.
Are we talking about a solid state drive here? Or a laptop? There has got to be stuff on your primary hard drive that could be permanently transferred to an external drive. Only stuff that you use frequently and need high performance from needs to be on your internal drive. If you are this tight for space you will be right back in the same position in no time.
(05-01-2012, 10:58 PM)swirly Wrote: Any estimates on how much space will be needed to install D3? I'm constantly in a crunch for finding enough hard drive space for things and so am going to have to deliberately make room for it. The installer is 7.60G and the D3 specs say it requires 12G so I'm estimating 19.60G to get it installed and then I should get that 7.60G back after I delete the installer. That sound about right to everyone?

Running with a full hard drive is bound to cause you plenty of grief. More so if the available space is scattered around, instead of in one neat pocket. I would strongly urge you to get another internal drive and move everything to there that isn't finicky about wanting to be on the default drive.

I personally consider a primary drive to be "full" if it's down to 20% of its remaining space. Whatever junk I'm storing isn't worth the pain of dealing with the lag issues caused by an overstuffed drive -- especially one that Windows is constantly using for any number of temporary activities.

Which is why I have a second drive, where I can store both the most critical things and the least -- the most for increased security, the least for performance enhancement.

- Sirian
The installer said 15G to install. I feel like it was 15.something, but I didn't write it down this time. After install the D3 folder only is taking 7.77G though. So it isn't actually much bigger than the installer itself.