OSRIC: Old School ADnD
For those who might be interested in playing or creating ADnD games based on the 1st Edition rule set but no longer have the reference materials (the books and modules are all out of print and can be difficult and expensive to get), there are some folks (not me) who invested a tremendous effort and a lot of time compiling OSRIC (version 2.0) for your use. It is free and available as a PDF download from here. OSRIC is a professional quality compilation of the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide and Monster Manual(s) and it includes a sample adventure.
That's pretty neat.

1st Edition books aren't getting too expensive yet - good quality copies sell from US$10 to US$40. I should probably try to track down copies of the Dungeoneers Survival Guide and the Manual of the Planes, as those are the only two I don't have. I imagine a complete set would be quite valuable one day.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Quote:For those who might be interested in playing or creating ADnD games based on the 1st Edition rule set but no longer have the reference materials (the books and modules are all out of print and can be difficult and expensive to get), there are some folks (not me) who invested a tremendous effort and a lot of time compiling OSRIC (version 2.0) for your use. It is free and available as a PDF download from here. OSRIC is a professional quality compilation of the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide and Monster Manual(s) and it includes a sample adventure.
Thanks, Xi. I have all of the 1st edition books, in various conditions, except for the manual of the planes. Never got that one. I like what these guys did with the pdf format.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:That's pretty neat.

1st Edition books aren't getting too expensive yet - good quality copies sell from US$10 to US$40. I should probably try to track down copies of the Dungeoneers Survival Guide and the Manual of the Planes, as those are the only two I don't have. I imagine a complete set would be quite valuable one day.

Looks like you and Occhi are both missing the Manual of the Planes, which is nice to have if you are planning on running a higher level game with extra-planar elements but it is otherwise rarely used. A few years ago the Manual was selling for $30-$40; I don't know if the demand and price for it has increased since then. The DSG should be more readily available (it probably had a much higher print run). If you are collecting the books for possible resale, then a complete collection probably won't garner you a higher price than selling individual pieces. Most collectors are either looking for a better quality of a book/module they already have or an excellent copy of something they need to complete their collection.

You guys might also like the Cartographer's Guild for mapping inspirations (WotC also has some nice maps on their site). When strapped for time, I sometimes use someone else's well made dungeon map.
Quote:Looks like you and Occhi are both missing the Manual of the Planes
I wish I could remember who I lent it to. It was at around about a decade ago though, so they probably don't still have it.

Quote:If you are collecting the books for possible resale, then a complete collection probably won't garner you a higher price than selling individual pieces.
To be honest, I don't think I could ever sell any of my books. It would be kinda cool knowing I had an expensive set though.;)

It would go nicely with a copy of the Canterbury Tales I have that was valued at around US$800.:)
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Quote:I wish I could remember who I lent it to. It was at around about a decade ago though, so they probably don't still have it.
To be honest, I don't think I could ever sell any of my books. It would be kinda cool knowing I had an expensive set though.;)

It would go nicely with a copy of the Canterbury Tales I have that was valued at around US$800.:)

I hope you are taking precautions to preserve your rare books, keeping them safe from parasites, molds, fungi and other hazards. There are some interesting articles here. The price lists found on that site are outdated (I also have no idea where they pulled some of their figures from; I used to attend the GenCon auctions as a buyer/seller and I have gotten far better prices for a majority of OOP books and modules than what the Arcaeum shows.

Another site you might be interested in is The Cartographer's Guild. Some of the maps submitted by forum members are works of art.

Quote:Looks like you and Occhi are both missing the Manual of the Planes, which is nice to have if you are planning on running a higher level game with extra-planar elements but it is otherwise rarely used.

I may actually have a copy of the Manual of Planes in the Attic. I'll tromp up there and get the lay of the land.
I updated my Diehards Handbook to version 4.5 [Final] if anyone is interested. I also made a cool character sheet that calculates a lot of the information for you automatically. If you use the character sheet, it may he hard to see, but the race and gender are on a pull-down menu. Pass is DHH if you want to unprotect the sheet. You can check it out here.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin