Converting SP characters
This might be a stupid question, but I just realized that vanilla D1 doesn't have higher difficulty levels without Hellfire. Unless you set up an MP game. Is there any way to convert a SP char to multi? I tried renaming single_0.sv to multi_0.sv but that didn't work.
(06-06-2011, 05:37 AM)MachX Wrote: This might be a stupid question, but I just realized that vanilla D1 doesn't have higher difficulty levels without Hellfire. Unless you set up an MP game. Is there any way to convert a SP char to multi? I tried renaming single_0.sv to multi_0.sv but that didn't work.
I've never heard of any way to convert characters between SP and MP.
There is however a fairly simple way of introducing dificulties in SP. It just requires a MP character of sufficient clvl (20 for Nightmare and 30 for Hell):
-Start a Nightmare/Hell game with your MP character.
-Hit escape and choose new game.
-Click cancel until you get back to the main menu.
-Select single player and start playing your character.

If you follow these directions any new dlvl you enter in this Diablo session will be Nightmare/Hell. Any dlvl you had already entered will remain normal.
Conversely, when you quit Diablo and start the SP game again later, then your current dlvl will remain Nightmare/Hell, whereas any new dlvl will become Normal. Hence you'll have to repeat the MP->SP trick for any gaming session where wish to enter new dlvls on Nightmare/Hell.

The above trick is well known and also mentioned in Jarulf's Guide. If you haven't read that, then I strongly urge you to do so. It is the bible of D1 and contains (almost) all the information you ever wanted to know about items, monster stats and game mechanics. There is a link to it from this forum.

I have solutions! There is an application called DiabloSaver that can swap single player and multi player character files. However, it will only transfer the character. That is, no items go with him/her.

Link:
http://diablo.svatopluk.com/download/diablosaver.stm

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS

You could perhaps try DiabloStash, just to transfer items between single and multiplayer characters.

Link:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EW7AIQ6F

However, you may get a label as a hacker/cheater from people with scanners, as not all items you find in single player are possible to get in multiplayer. I've only heard of people using this application, so I can't speak of it's value, or whether it can transfer items between single and multiplayer games.