Hellforge Quest Question
Hail Lurkers,

I was wondering if clvl mattered when doing the rune quest. From what I read on diabloii.net, all it says is the Hellforge drops one normal, two flawless, one perfect gems, and one rune. So I checked on how runes drop and its based on monster level - apparently character level has nothing to do with it. So what level is the hellforge :huh:

So why do I want to know about this, Im sure your asking yourself? Well, I have two computers with two valid cd-keys and often mule to myself, but I can also rush myself. Im sure this sounds like an incredably cheezy way of obtaining good quality runes, but it only takes me an hour to rush to hell act 4 and thats worth a shot of obtaining a BER rune, IMO. However, if clvl matters, then this idea will be debunked.

Thanks ahead of time for replies.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Greetings MEAT,

IIRC, it does make a difference what character level you are when you do that quest. The thread where it was discussed was long ago. But on the strength of it, I have often bypassed that quest and returned to complete it later.

On the other hand, I am not a power gamer. The process is more important than the outcome for me.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

I don't even know what a Ber rune does. Never seen one. :)

smithy
Clvl matters in that it improves the chance for a high level rune to drop. However, a level 1 hellforge mule can still find any rune in Hell diff.

According to a post in the amazon basin, the chances for an IST rune dropping are...

1, .0002%
2, .0006%
3, .0014%
4, .0030%
5, .0062%
6, .0126%
7, .0245%

And so on...

This is only the chances for this one rune however.

The chances for ANY good rune dropping are higher.
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
Ber rune provides 8% damage reduction.
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
According to http://www.diabloii.net/ clvl does not matter.

http://www.diabloii.net/items/tc-monster.shtml

"The other good way to get higher level runes is from the Nightmare and Hell Hellforge. The Hellforge works differently than other rune drops, in that the odds don't decrease as the rune # increases. Normal isn't worth doing for the Rune (Ith is about the highest you can get), but both NM and Hell can drop up to Um, and the odds appear to be about even for Sol through Um. Your Clvl does not matter."
A dangerous man is a man with nothing to lose.
So the highest is UM in nightmare? Whats the highest in hell?
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Hmmm.....
but both NM and Hell can drop up to Um
A dangerous man is a man with nothing to lose.
Some modder made a post at the PK examining the actual code. Rest assured, it really has nothing to do with clvl.
on nm & hell, best rune u can take is UM :P
like TheVillageIdiot say
[eMeS] clan sitemarijuana smokers
I thought that the game game code prohibited anything from spawning that couldn't be used.(clvl wise, that is). If so, then rushing a character through that quest would be wasting the opportunity because the character's low clvl would limit the choices of runes.

edit- this post was supposed to be a reply to Foxbat's. D'oh!
cheezz
"I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people all day long and I assume they deserve it."-Dogbert

"The truth is always greater that the words we use to describe it."

[Image: fun.jpg]
Just think of the times your 1st lev char gets a sash with +2 str or +5 life and can't use it till level 6 -- happens all the time.
Any char lvl can get up to UM from the Nm/Hell forge.

Had low lvl mules (lvl 4 I think) pop an Um from Nm forge myself...