Instant Death - Bug/rant...
Again, I stress this problem my friends and I've been having with Diablo 2: LoD. When we're playing, sometimes it gets laggy, but not anything outragous, and the next hit kills us, no matter where it came from.

I've personally experienced it three times as of this day and have personally witnessed it happen to numerous friends on the net at least six times that I can specifically recall.

For specifics: USWEST / Hardcore / any character class / any act / w/out using any hacks!!!

I personally believe, after talking with numerous individuals whom have knowledge of how b.net works, that the server which proccesses the data, not b.net chat or the server that hosts the game or your isp or even your computer, but the server that proccesses the data (yes it is a seperate entity believe it or not) lag out, and when that happens, b.net takes precedence and since your data is either incorrect or simply not there, your HP registers at either base or zero and one hit kills you. Ive seen people die from the dreaded one-hit kill from catapults in nightmare with a level 80 paladin decked out in the best possible gear imaginable with full life, from a zombie, from a single cow... lots of ways ive witnessed.

I'm not asking for opinions on rather this is a bug or just my imagination - THIS IS A BUG and I'm sorry none of you at the L.L. have seen it yet! I don't think it's really fair when it happes, but what can I do? Blizzard has a "hardcore" stance against restoring dead "hardcore" characters. If only they looked at the data tapes, thou, then they'd see what I'm talking about.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Hey,

In all of the countless hours I have spent on USeast since the release of D2, I have never encountered this.

Seemingly one-hit killed by certain enemies, sure.

If this were a bug simply involving a server lagging out, I'm sure more people would complain about it.

smithy
Likely the players life is being set to a negative value. However, this in and of itself will not kill you. You will need to be damaged so that the game will check for your insanely low life, at which point it will decide to kill you.

I have heard of this from a very few other number of people, so I don't think it's entirely imagined. It's not a huge leap for Blizzard to have a glitch that would do something like corrupt your life value.

But eh, the server that hosts the game is the same server that handles your life inside the game. Any "data server" stuff is for saving and loading characters, but the game-hoster has 0 reason to read that into your char's memory until you are entering a game.
My brother had 2 unexplained "sudden" deaths on hc, I saw it once he was just fighting on bloodrun nm on lv 67 and in a sudden the lifebar dropped to 0. He had good res and was high enough lv not to get severe damage, these things are really disturbing especially when you only play hc. :(
I have seen quite a few of those. Either folks aren't drinking their pots, or there is something squirrely going on with Catapault / Life interaction. In HC it is a real eye opener to see a level 55 char "die to a catapault" message.

Sometimes the life drops are induced by a barb doing BO who you did not expect, but most folks see that and know where it comes from.

I had a barbarian accuse me of using thorns on a bloody run a few months ago (My paladin did not even have the aura, he was Foamy Moustache, all elemental) when his life dropped by half at the base of the stairs from Frigid Highlands to Bloody Foothills. He was on screen, and there had been no BO cast that I had seen. I had no idea what happened to him, as my merc and I were beating the tar out of Shenks little knitting circle, but this jackass would not let up on the "you used thorns" crap.

I got tired of his whining and went to town where I started verbally assaulting him without mercy for being an idiot. His charge that I was a Throns / Conv PK, even after I pointed out "no, I dont have conversion" just made me mad. Eventually, the other players asked us to knock it off, which was a reasonable request.

My bad for letting an idiot get my goat.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete