Immune To Magic Monsters?
I used to think that monsters with "Immune to magic" meant what it said, but recently when I was getting rushed privately killed the greaters mummys that were Immune to magic in the Throne of Destruction where Baals minions spawn.

The person that was rushing was using a sorc.
A dangerous man is a man with nothing to lose.
Immune to Magic, not to the Elements.

As different a damage class as Physical is.
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
>I used to think that monsters with "Immune to magic" meant what it said

There are several types of damage in D2:

Fire
Cold
Lightning
Poison
Magic
Physical

Your character's resistances to Fire,Cold,poison, and lightning are displayed, but the physical and magic resists are not shown on your character sheet. There are several items that will add physical damage resistance(such as stormsheild,string of ears, BER rune,act..). There is only one item that I know of that adds to MAGIC resistance: the safety crafted sheild(IIRC).

There are certain skills that apply MAGIC damage as opposed to elemental(fire,cold,lightning,poison). Notable such skills include bonespirit and bonespear. A monster "immune to magic" is only immune to the MAGIC type of damage class. Also a few weapons apply magic damage(ginthers rift, lightsabre, perhaps a few more).

On the contrary, in case it comes up, the item mod "magic damage reduced by x" does affect all damage types except physical and poison.

EDIT: forgot something
Hmm, what is it that allows undead to be affected by certain things(Sanctuary, Holy Bolt, FoH's Holy Bolts etc) that don't affect other monsters? Is it simply a flag? Like, if monster=undead, do X, otherwise, do nothing. Is that it?
That's part of the whole undead/animal/demon deal.

Anything that lists undead/demon uses that flag to determine its results (So Sanctuary, Holy Bolt, etc, all check for that flag.)
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
I don't remember where, but I was reading up on Necromancer skills and read that the curse Lower Resist lowers fire, lightning, cold, poison, AND magic resistances, making your bone spirits and spears a little more painful.

Just a useless little tidbit :o
Hehe, that reminds of a Hell Durial game a loooooooooong while back.

*party encounters Lightning Enchanted Phyisical Immune Magic Immune Mummy*
*after a few seconds of killing off minions and such, Barbarian finally decides to pull out*

Barbarian: "Ack! There's no way in hell to kill that thing!"

*me wacks at Mummy with Vengence for a few more seconds*

Me: "Huh? It's already dead..."

Barbarian: "What? Oh"

Me: "Immune to magic means he's immune to stuff like BS, not everything :P"

Barbarian: "Oh."
:P Vengeance is great,since it does four types of damage (three elements, and the physical part) Only problem is the evil mana burn monsters. But the Barb would have lots of trouble anyways. After all, beserk is really the only way for a barb to deal with Pi's and that's magical damage. So while other elemental sources would eventualy kill, it's rather painful dealing with a PI/MI monster for a barb :)
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
This is a little bit off topic, but does Magic Damage Reduced by XX affect fire/coldghtning etc., or just "magic" damage.

I as because I read about peope using MDR against diablo, but couldn'tsee what help it would be since none of big D's attacks do 'magic' damage. :blink:
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
It helps against magic and elemental.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
http://www.hut.fi/~tgustafs/damagereduction.html
Quote:There are several types of damage in D2:

Fire
Cold
Lightning
Poison
Magic
Physical
i thought someone said there's a 'burning' damage type but wasn't used by the game. and... just for political-correctness' sake, how would open wounds fit into exactly these 7 damage types? or it stands by itself? (i know nothing can resist open wounds once its tagged; a negative regeneration something)
I guess going into a little detail(incomplete) detail may have been the wrong approach to my answer for him... :) Yeah, there may be a few special cases such as open wounds damage that I really don't know enough about to classify.

I actually have no idea how open wounds fits into the types of damage, I didn't even think of it. :blink:
and yes, I have heard of a damage class that the game does not actually use, but I really don't know any details about it either.
>Lower Resist lowers fire, lightning, cold, poison, AND magic resistances, making your bone spirits and

>Just a useless little tidbit

Not really useless; as you pointed out, it can be a big help for bone spells, my necro uses it alot to up his bonespirit's damage output. Following with corpse exposions, which the lower resists also helps.(though amp is better in Hell for CE)
This affix works sort of the same way that poison does, in that it provides a "negative regeneration" to the monster's HP pool, over 4 seconds. Spirea's site has a nice little calculator, and IIRC, it is pretty much clvl dependent.

Against a Physically Immune, it has been shown, by I think Jarulf or Ruvanaal, that once a single point of elemental damage hits the monster, the Open Wounds can begin to work on the Physically Immune, which makes Open Wounds sort of a "class by itself."

Not sure about the 'burning damage' but I do recall 'hearing about that as well.'
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Damage types used in the game.
Code:
-    Code    Elemental Type
0  None
1    fire    Fire
2    ltng    Lightning
3    mag    Magic
4    cold    Cold
5    pois    Poison
6    life    Life Drain
7    mana    Mana Drain
8    stam    Stamina Drain
9    stun    Stun
10    rand    Random
11    burn    Burning
5 through 10 are used by some of the monsters for their effects (life and mana are not the same as the life leech and mana leech effects from items). Type 11 is not used, but would function similar to the way poison is handled (damage per frame over a set number of frames). There is no resistance effects available for the burning damage in the game. Graphic for the Burning is an orange billowy fire about the character.

Other unusual things in the game that produce damage (such as Crushing Blow, Deadly Strike, Open Wounds etc.) are game effects. In cases such as Crushing Blow, the code is set up to have it simulate as if it were being handled in manner similar to physical damage. This coding for each of the effects is done on a case by case basis.

For Open Wounds, it is just a matter that the effect will only trigger if damage is actually done (type does not matter) AND the damage was delivered by a skill that is dependent on the weapon in hand for its use.

P.S. Open Wounds is not an affix. It is a property that is used in one cube formula and some set and unique items.
Ruvanal,Feb 25 2003, 10:04 PM Wrote:Damage types used in the game.
Code:
-    Code    Elemental Type
0  None
1    fire    Fire
2    ltng    Lightning
3    mag    Magic
4    cold    Cold
5    pois    Poison
6    life    Life Drain
7    mana    Mana Drain
8    stam    Stamina Drain
9    stun    Stun
10    rand    Random
11    burn    Burning
5 through 10 are used by some of the monsters for their effects (life and mana are not the same as the life leech and mana leech effects from items).  Type 11 is not used, but would function similar to the way poison is handled (damage per frame over a set number of frames).  There is no resistance effects available for the burning damage in the game.  Graphic for the Burning is an orange billowy fire about the character.

Other unusual things in the game that produce damage (such as Crushing Blow, Deadly Strike, Open Wounds etc.) are game effects.  In cases such as Crushing Blow, the code is set up to have it simulate as if it were being handled in manner similar to physical damage.  This coding for each of the effects is done on a case by case basis. 

For Open Wounds, it is just a matter that the effect will only trigger if damage is actually done (type does not matter) AND the damage was delivered by a skill that is dependent on the weapon in hand for its use. 

P.S. Open Wounds is not an affix.  It is a property that is used in one cube formula and some set and unique items.
Some small tidbits. Stun damage is not really damage, it is just an effect added to the attack that will stun the character, as such it is not really a damage type. If I am not mistaken it is basically a duration only, just as chill and freeze duration exists independantly of cold damage (chill is coupled to it, freeze is usually done as a seperate attack with just the freeze duration).

Burn duration IS used I think by some effects. It is for all practical purposes, like resistance and such, handled like fire damage. It has a duration coupled to it in some way I think.

By the way, very good description on the "effects" as not being attacks or damage types (in part it is missinterpreted as physical "damage" because CB will use the physical resistance to modify the damage) but as you say, none of those are attacks and thus have no damage type.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Quote:Burn duration IS used I think by some effects. It is for all practical purposes, like resistance and such, handled like fire damage. It has a duration coupled to it in some way I think.

I looked through the MPQ files and only found one instance of the burn damage being used. This was on missile #150(expansion) DragonFlightMaker. Testing the skill, I could not detect that it was actually producing this damage in any way. I did not look throughly through all parts of the file to be sure that this line is actually used by the skill.

On the damage it does, I tested it and it would produce the damage at the rate of HitShift*value per frame for the indicated number of frames (same basic method as poison). By giving the attribute to some monster attacks, I was able to check the resistances. I was not able to use fire resistance to reduce the effect.
Hmm, strange, perhaps I remember it the other way arround, that it was meant as fire that was NOT resisted. Oh well, I really am starting to forget to much lately :(
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.