Frenzied Ice Spawn
Okay, I was going through the worldstone keep, and saw a monster shrine. I figured it might make an interesting screenshot, so I lured a frenzied ice spawn of to it and set it off. This was NM, so he got 2 mods. He ended up with fanat, and fire enchanted. At that point I forgot about the screenshot, and just ran away. I think he blew up on my merc.

After that experience I decided I would like to know:

1. Is the damage from exploding demons entirely elemental(so I had nothing to fear), or is there a physical component?

2. Does anyone know the actual damage output of these guys? I have heard some speculate that it's tied to their HP, but if this is true they would most likely autokill in big games, so it seems false.

3. It seems like either their explosion is blockable, or that it can miss. Sometimes they do no damage at all to some of my guys. Is it blockable, or do they just miss(based on their AR I guess)? Assuming that this is an 'attack' they can get critical hits too right?

4. They never drop treasure? The leader one I saw didn't drop anything after it blew up. Is it possible to kill them in such a way that they drop items?

5. Do you get experience for killing them(as if you killed them yourself)? I could be wrong, but I'm nearly certain I lvled from the death of one. (maybe only if you damage them enough to kill them, not if THEY choose to explode)

6. If I have missed a discusion about them somewhere, can someone point me there?

Thanks.

EDIT: by "no damage at all to some of my guys" I mean my characters, not my minions or merc. I know minions and mercs are immune to them.
info
http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/monsters/...ideminion.shtml

1.I think they do elemental damage, it may vary from each SuicideMinion depending on name i.e. Insane Ice Spawn,Insane Hell Spawn. Through I always noticed that the Sucide Minions in the WorldStone Keep slow you down.

2.Damage is in link.

3.From the site, they appear to have 2 different explosions that are both blockable, one with high damage and AR and other with low damage and AR.

4.Not sure about treasure.

5.The site says "You don't get experience if they blow up. "
A dangerous man is a man with nothing to lose.
Actually the entry on the areat summit does provide more info than I expected, but I've learned that the AS is not always accurate. Also it doesn't mention the element or the % elemental damage. That's one of the things I'm very curious about.

The damage seems like it could be right, it looks appropriate, with the occasional critical hit doing double normal.
Been a while since I've actually fought one of these things per se, so bear with me. Do they blow up when they die from damage? Because shattering them with cold MIGHT do it.
> Been a while since I've actually fought one of these things per se, so bear with me. Do they blow up when they die from damage? >Because shattering them with cold MIGHT do it.

I've killed them with iceblasts(merc) and they still explode, as well as any other means. I'm just curious about the questions in my original post. I guess they must give exp if YOU kill them, but I guess you can't if they blow up on you. As well, I figure they can never drop any items. The damage listed in the arreat summit seems about right, but I'm still curious how much is elemental. My characters with max resists seem to take about the same as my characters with low resists.
I'm pretty sure the dmg is not tied to the xp or at least it doesnt scale vs # of players in the game as the undead stygian dolls (from act 3 ) do.

It appears the damage is partly physical & fire with a touch of cold as well (easily observed if you have low cold resitance and no Cannot be frozen or half freeze duration items).

There was a related thread in the old forums about stygian dolls and suicide minions (regarding whether explosions can be blocked/avoided etc.) but I cant seem to find it now:

:unsure:
Hang on. They do drop treasure. I had one that dropped a Zod rune on me one night and I looked up the odds and they were phenomenal, but I am positive that he dropped it because I killed a mess of them and it fell right before me. Am I mistaken or no? And I'm talking about those annoying Worldstone 2 nutcases that blow up.
Conner

God Bless our American Troops!
A better way to pay for the War than Oil
just gathering more observations. i've never gotten any drops from these explosions. one more thing: you'll appear to have the leech graphics but you're not leeching in fact.
Semi-related - I think that I've also noted that they don't hurt my merc or my summoned grizzly (I'm a druid). But they'll take tons of my HPs and chill me if I'm anywhere close to them. I don't really get why they don't hurt my merc, but I noticed it after I ran away from one and the next time I watched as he went right up to my merc and exploded and the merc didn't loose a single HP. Weird. :blink:
Play 7L!
blanthis,Feb 27 2003, 11:40 AM Wrote:Semi-related - I think that I've also noted that they don't hurt my merc or my summoned grizzly (I'm a druid).  But they'll take tons of my HPs and chill me if I'm anywhere close to them.  I don't really get why they don't hurt my merc, but I noticed it after I ran away from one and the next time I watched as he went right up to my merc and exploded and the merc didn't loose a single HP.  Weird.  :blink:
From what I've heard, mercs not taking any damage from Frenzied Ice Spawn (and related Frenzied monsters) was a feature added during the LoD beta test, after the testers got tired of spending 50K gold every time a Frenzied monster blew up in their merc's face.

-G.
Even the mountains
Last not forever:
Someday they, too, shall
Crumble to dust.
That got fixed in the Beta.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I want access to Beta testing software. LOL
Conner

Conner Macleod,Feb 23 2003, 02:57 AM Wrote:I had one that dropped a Zod rune on me one night
Congratulations for being the only person ever to actually see a zod rune drop.

Assuming you are in Act 5 Hell, AND you can get a rune drop every minute, you end up with this:

1/17 chance for a possible zod drop, then a 1/184320 chance the rune will not be downgraded to a lower quality rune.
This equates to a 1/3133440 chance to acquire a zod rune for any give rune drop. This means you would statistically have to find 3133440 runes to get a single zod rune drop. Now, if you find 1 zod/minute, then it would take you 3133440 minutes to get a zod. 3133440 minutes = 52224 hours = 2176 days = 5.95 years.

This means that you would have to play for 5 YEARS 11 MONTHS and 14 DAYS continuously to actually find a zod rune: counting ONLY the time you are in act 5 hell AND items are dropping AND a single rune drops every single minute.

Obviously, runes don't drop every single minute, and you can't spend all of your time in act 5 hell, and all of your time is not spent collecting drops. So let's say that you can clear ALL of act 5/hell in 3 hours and 15 runes drop for every game (fairly realistic?).

1/3133440 zod/rune * 15 runes/game * 1 game / 3 hours = 626688 hours/zod. This means that it will take 626688 hours of act 5/ hell gameplay to find a single zod rune (71 years, 6 months, 7 days) of continuous play. Let's say you play 8 hours per day:

1/626688 zod/hour * 8 hours/day * 365 days/year = 1/214.6

This means that you would have to play the game in act 5 hell when you played (8 hours a day) for 214 years, 7 months and 12 days just to find ONE zod rune.

So I say again, congrats.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Well, I must admit, I was STUNNED. And so was my buddy that was with me. I guess I hit the lottery in Diablo terms.
Conner

Just a few calculations... ^ ^
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
The damage from their suicide/death explosion is not dependant on hit points. It uses Attack1 damage (useless info: in this case, the damage will never be the listed max, the highest it gets is max-1). What type of damage it is depends on the AIParam1 value:

Class AIParam1
FanaticMinion 0
BerserkSlayer 0
ConsumedIceBoar 1
ConsumedFireBoar 50
FrenziedHellSpawn 1
FrenziedIceSpawn 75
InsaneHellSpawn 1
InsaneIceSpawn 100

Aiparam1 = 0: physical only, uses missile id 426 (SuicideCorpseExplode)
Aiparam1 = 1: physical and fire (uses the same value), uses missile id 427 (SuicideFireExplode)
Aiparam1 => 2: physical and cold (uses the sme value), uses missile id 428 (SuicideIceExplode). chill length = aiparam1
50, 75, or 100

or

426, 427, or 428?
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Mar 10 2003, 10:09 PM Wrote:50, 75, or 100

or

426, 427, or 428?
The base damage values? They are in the "A1MinD" and "A1MaxD" column (one for each difficulty) in monstats.txt. Can be found at the arreat summit (it's the attack1 damage values), I think someone linked to it early in this thread.

The values you listed are AIparam1 and the missile id's to use.