Dire Wolves
Hiho. Nifty new software you've got here. Looks awfully familiar ;)

Anyway, I'm working on a comprehensive Druid guide outside of school and work, and am trying to get some clear numbers on the way Dire Wolves interact with their own passive bonus.

According to ChippyDip's Page, a slvl 20 Dire Wolf will have 193/292/387 life. I'm pretty sure that this is before the passive bonus is applied, since the Arreat Summit seems to confirm the same numbers for Normal difficulty.

So, my question is this. Do Dire Wolves benefit from their own passive bonus? My initial response is "Well, duh!" but the numbers look a little bit strange. Assume max Dire Wolves, max Oak Sage, and that the Druid in question is in Hell Difficulty, in a one player game.

Each wolf should then have 387 life, before bonuses from Oak Sage or passive kicks in. If the passive bonus works the way that I thought it did, then each wolf will have (387 * 2.40) + 387 = 1315 life :blink:

Factor in the 125% bonus from Oak Sage, and you have three wolves each with 2900 life :blink: :blink: :blink:

So...where did I screw up? :unsure: The more I think about this, the more I come to believe that the passive bonus doesn't affect the creature it's on.
SUM PREEST IZ FITE
The mistake is pretty simple, you applied the passive bonus twice.

Lets work in normal difficulty, easier on the figures:
slvl 1 states
Life 85
Bonus 50%

to figure this out correctly, you have to determin life at slvl 0, some simple math:
85 = x(1 + 0.5) ; where x is slvl 0 value
170 = 3x
x = 56.67

Now, apply to any slvl to obtain life value: hp = 56.67 + 56.67*PassiveBonus ; where slvl >= 0.
Therefore, slvl 20 gives: hp = 56.67 + (56.67*2.4) = 192.67; round up; 193 hp.
Then apply Oak Sage bonus, hp = 193*1.25 + 193 = 434.25; round down; 434 hp.

For hell, apply Oak Sage bonus, hp = 387*1.25 + 387 = 870.75; round up; 871 hp.
[Image: ThiefLogo.jpg]

"What cannot kill you, isn't worth fighting." - Anon.
Chameleon, The Lost Thief *Fades away into the darkness*
Heavy... :blink:
A plague of exploding high-fives.
Ok, so the passive bonus is already included in the skill. No wonder I was coming up with such bizarre figures <_<

SUM PREEST IZ FITE
I'm fairly sure, going by the values on Chippydip's for Dire Wolf HPs, that their base life is 57 in normal, not 56.67 (try slvl 5, for instance). :P Nightmare gives 86, Hell 114. Grizzly is 142/214/285 (around 2.5 times more).
USEAST: Werewolf (94), Werebear (87), Hunter (85), Artimentalist (78), Meleementalist (76, ret.)
USEAST HCL: Huntermentalist (72), Werewolf (27)
Single Player HC: Werewolf (61, deceased), Werewolf (24)