Dnd Who?
hehe Jarulf, you seem to be the only evil one in here :)

Don't come close to me by the way :)
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
It appears that I'm a Chaotic Evil Elven Mage Monk to the first test. I have *no* idea how this came about since I only answered 1 of them in what I believe is an evil manner. *shrug* Also follow Velsharoon, the Neutral Evil god of necromancy, liches, and undeath. Fun.

Oh dear. It appears that the second alignment test also pointed me out as Evil, except lawful this time. :P
Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.
Neutral Good Elf Bard Ranger
Follower Of Oghma

I'm an Illusionist,

I'm lawful neutral.

Here is the dragon-thing.

As the Earth's life-giving skin, your Dragon color is... TAN

Your Inner Dragon is the true draconic magic-user. Tans have been all but forgotten in popular literature, but that suits them just fine. They're very shy and spend most of their time hidden in impassable mountain valleys. Every so often they get a little brave, and use their shape-shifting ability to blend in with society. Given a choice, however, Tans still much prefer to be left to their own devices. You like to spend time devising new and interesting spells and potions, and counting and hoarding your gigantic treasure. Your favorable attributes are longevity, security, magic, and reverence for life. To top it off, your breath weapon is a curious mix of Fire and Air. Just tell folks to watch out, as a Tan you've got a seriously short temper!

Sounds pretty accurate! :)

(Tan dragon, what the heck? :lol: )
Well, at least Jarulf is Lawful. I can party with anyone that follows the rules regardless of where they are headed ;-)
Chaotic Neutral Human Ranger Fighter

Excellent :)

As the rays of the life-giving Sun, your Dragon color is... YELLOW
Your Inner Dragon is the most interesting of all. Yellows are the fourth rarest dragon of all (after Gold, Platinum and Chromatic dragons). They spend the vast majority of their time soaring high above the ground, often for no particular reason. They love to be in the air, and are thus typified as the Air Elemental dragon. Your Inner Dragon spends most of his/her time on the Plains or steppe highlands when not mingled with the air currents. All of the Elemental dragons are technically aligned "Chaotic Evil" but a Yellow is about as close as they come to being either Neutral or "Lawful Evil." So if you feel like a bit of a do-gooder sometimes, it's perfectly normal. You like to spend time in silent, aerial meditation and would only really attack someone if provoked. Your favorable attributes are the sunrise, Spring, incense, clouds, and any kind of helpful air mass or current. When it's needed, your breath weapon is pure bolts of Lightning. How's that for a neat piece of carry-on luggage? See you amongst the clouds!

I don't like air that much...

You are a Fire Mage.

Sure, why not? :)

Your alignment is: Lawful Good.

Oh, bollocks.

-Leshy
"Reality? That's where there's no Lawful Good Pizza Dragon!"
-Leshy, Pizza Lover Extraordinaire
http://www.leshy.net
Hi,

Who I'd be in D&D: Chaotic Good Human Ranger Fighter -- Follower Of Shaundakul

Shaundakul is the Chaotic Good god of travel and exploration. He is also known as the Rider of the Winds. His followers are typically rangers, and work to protect the land. They typically wear leather armor, and carry long swords and short bows. Shaundakul's symbol is a white hand with the index finger raised.

Mage test: Earth Mage
[Image: earth.jpg]

Dragon test: As the vast Forests that protect our Planet, your Dragon color is... GREEN

Your Inner Dragon is the embodiment of Nature and the Earth. Greens spend almost all of their time below the canopy or just above the treetops in tropical rain forests. Not a bad life considering every other creature in the forest looks up to you, figuratively and literally. You speak the language of every animal and plant in your domain and know most of them by first name. If people mess with your forests, you're more than happy to wail on their puny butts. Because of your protector/caretaker role, you are the Earth Elemental dragon. Naturally your whole life pretty much revolves around the other couple million species you keep an eye on, but that's not your whole dragon. You also like to like to impose your steadfast will on others, commune with Nature, and lobby governments for alternative fuels and conservation. Your favorable attributes are Midnight, Winter, gemstones, mountains, caves, soil, respect, endurance, responsibility, prosperity, and purpose in life. Folks shouldn't get the idea you're a hippy pushover though, because your breath weapon is a nasty Fire/Acid combination. Maybe you should invest in a hemp shirt reading "Don't knock my smock, or I'll clean your clock." *wink*

My alignment: Chaotic Good

The "explanation" of this was the best part of the whole thing. It did a nice job of showing just how many assumptions are made in setting up the questions. And how poor those assumptions are.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

will be helping Mr Nader in his next political campaign? :) Methinks not!
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
First test:
Chaotic Good Elf Bard Mage
Follower Of Hanali Cenanil (Chaotic Good elven goddess of love, beauty, and art)

Mage test:
Air Mage

[Image: air.jpg]

Dragon test:
Yellow Dragon

Your Inner Dragon is the most interesting of all. Yellows are the fourth rarest dragon of all (after Gold, Platinum and Chromatic dragons). They spend the vast majority of their time soaring high above the ground, often for no particular reason. They love to be in the air, and are thus typified as the Air Elemental dragon. Your Inner Dragon spends most of his/her time on the Plains or steppe highlands when not mingled with the air currents. All of the Elemental dragons are technically aligned "Chaotic Evil" but a Yellow is about as close as they come to being either Neutral or "Lawful Evil." So if you feel like a bit of a do-gooder sometimes, it's perfectly normal. You like to spend time in silent, aerial meditation and would only really attack someone if provoked. Your favorable attributes are the sunrise, Spring, incense, clouds, and any kind of helpful air mass or current. When it's needed, your breath weapon is pure bolts of Lightning. How's that for a neat piece of carry-on luggage? See you amongst the clouds!

Alignment test:
Chaotic Good

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
Well, thats interesting, thats also true, of all RPG games, I always liked mages, and elves out of all races, heh, and I generaly had a good moral, in games such as Black and White, I take extreme measures to reach my target if the situation requires extreme measures, thus, chaotic,lol, nice test...

Dragon color: White.

Mage: Time mage.

Allignment: Chaotic Evil?! Why?! I didnt answer enything in an evil way, what the... my first test i got a good elf, now im evil? lol, im wierd..
"It burns because its burning!"
I'm a Lawful Good Elf Ranger Bard Follower Of Mielikki. I got Spirit mage for second one. Third test says my dragon color would be blue. On the last test my alignment is Neutral Good .
A dangerous man is a man with nothing to lose.
Hi all,

My results in order:

Lawful Neutral Elf Ranger Paladin

Not sure how this came up with Paladin, my least favorite class, but then given the screwball questions it's not too surprising. Maybe Paladins order the soup and salad. :lol: Also, the explanation of LN was way off compared to the actual rules (see the other test).

Spirit Mage

Gold Dragon

Neither one was too far off.

Lawful Good

The most bizarre test, at least as far as analysis of the results goes. At least the other three are silly all the way through.

I figured I'd add this link. This is the WoTC alignment test, and it is a bit less odd than most of the other ones.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=d...dnd/dx20001222b

I'm lawful neutral in that one, which is a pretty good fit. In part:

A lawful neutral character acts as law, tradition, or a personal code directs her. Order and organization are paramount to her. She may believe in personal order and live by a code or standard, or she may believe in order for all and favor a strong, organized government.

Tibbs
1) Lawfull Good HalfElf Paladin Cleric. Follower of Tyr.
2) Fire Mage
3) White Dragon
4) Lawfull Good

Except for the Mage test they're all reasonably accurate.
And you do not ask the cost...
Chaotic Good Elf Ranger Druid - Follower Of Solonor Thelandria

Umm yep.. thats me.. happy go lucky.. sometimes-do-gooder .. bumming around with a bow or something.

"As the Earth's life-giving skin, your Dragon color is... TAN

Your Inner Dragon is the true draconic magic-user. Tans have been all but forgotten in popular literature, but that suits them just fine. They're very shy and spend most of their time hidden in impassable mountain valleys. Every so often they get a little brave, and use their shape-shifting ability to blend in with society. Given a choice, however, Tans still much prefer to be left to their own devices. You like to spend time devising new and interesting spells and potions, and counting and hoarding your gigantic treasure. Your favorable attributes are longevity, security, magic, and reverence for life. To top it off, your breath weapon is a curious mix of Fire and Air. Just tell folks to watch out, as a Tan you've got a seriously short temper! "

This is scary ... however I have long temper usually ;)

"Law: 4
Chaos: 5
Good: 1
Evil: 2

Your alignment: Chaotic Evil "

OMG! I knew I shouldn't have picked Darth Vader for that answer!

I'm not evil! :o
I'm lawful neutral in this one:

Quote:A neutral good character does the best that a good person can do. He is devoted to helping others. He works with kings and magistrates but does not feel beholden to them. The common phrase for neutral good is "true good." Neutral good is the best alignment you can be because it means doing what is good without bias toward or against order.

This test had some interesting questions and comes at it from a bit of a different perspective. Unfortunately, some of the questions are a little bit difficult to answer without more information as to situation. However, I like it - it seems a bit more comprehensive than the others.
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Well I'm a Time Mage

Lawful Evil

And depending on where I want to live
I'm either a Copper Dragon or a Black Dragon

And since no one has a black dragon yet:

If there ever was an apparition of Evil to strike terror into the hearts of man and beast, your Inner Dragon is it. Blackies are a fairly common dragon and are considered one of two harmonious dragons. Your antithesis is the White Dragon. Together, you two embody the Yin and Yang concept of eastern religions (especially Taoism). But of course, being a Blackie on the inside you couldn't care less about that religion garbage. You like to chomp things, cause trouble, make off with people's significant others, and so on and so forth. Your favorable attributes are night, the Moon, the stars, dreams, psychic guidance, balancing Karma, seeking truth, and helpful dark magic. Everybody's still got to watch out for you though, because deep down you like to smite at random and have a nasty breath weapon combination of Fire and Acid. *evil grin* Fun, no?
Hi,

Came up true neutral in that one. Some of the questions really did need more of a situation description. Would a Paladin who was wrongfully accused of a crime and could only clear his name by escaping from prison and bringing the guilty to justice answer "If imprisoned, would you injure or kill others to escape?" with "No, except for minor wounds that will heal easily" or "No. Those guards are just doing their jobs". And if those guards were enemies in the first place, might not the answer be "Yes. Serves ’em right for locking me up"?

Details matter ;)

Also, I completely agree with the following paragraph. Too many people that role play play a one dimensional character. In many ways, it's the exceptions, not the rules, that make a character interesting.

"Now that your character has taken the test, make a note of which questions scored in the opposite direction from your overall alignment. These exceptions can tell some interesting tales about your character Are you a good character with a greedy streak? Are you a lawful character who can’t stand the village elders? Don’t just roleplay your alignment -- roleplay your alignment exceptions, too. Few characters perfectly embody their alignment choice."

However, it would have been nice if they had given the questions, your answers, and how that answer effect your alignment. Otherwise it is still just a guessing game of what the intent of the questions was.

One thing I cannot agree with and never did like it's implementation in D&D is the definition of "evil": "Evil people generally seek to harm the others’ welfare." This is the b-grade movie definition of evil. It isn't evil, it is insanity. It is irrational because it lacks motive. I prefer to think of the good/evil as a measure of the relationship with others. Putting the good of others first is "good", balancing the good of the many with personal desire is neutral, doing anything to achieve one's personal desires is evil. Doing good is rational, most benefit from a good action and all benefit from general good behavior. Evil must also be rational to make sense, otherwise it is insanity -- not a character trait but an illness.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

whyBish,Feb 19 2003, 11:04 PM Wrote:..and stay away from that pure oxygen Occhi.
The element or the cable channel? Or both? ;)

*Drasca however, chants Xena Xena Xena-- and that Sunday night ... with Sue Johannson show playing the same time as Howard Stern.
Pete wrote:
However, it would have been nice if they had given the questions, your answers, and how that answer effect your alignment. Otherwise it is still just a guessing game of what the intent of the questions was.

I believe the book the alignment test first came in lists how you score it, however in that particular book the only remotely useful thing was the test, so there was no sense in buying it.

One thing I cannot agree with and never did like it's implementation in D&D is the definition of "evil": "Evil people generally seek to harm the others’ welfare." This is the b-grade movie definition of evil. It isn't evil, it is insanity. It is irrational because it lacks motive. I prefer to think of the good/evil as a measure of the relationship with others. Putting the good of others first is "good", balancing the good of the many with personal desire is neutral, doing anything to achieve one's personal desires is evil.

Well, I think in D&D evil can be either the wacky, out to destoy the world kind, or just taking what you want without regard for others. The supervillian evil is IMO best reserved for demons and devils, since those things exist in the game to corrupt mortals and advance evil for its own sake. In fact, I believe in the Player's Handbook it specifically mentions that "good and evil" in the D&D universe aren't just moral abstractions, but rather specific forces that do battle in the outer planes (angels and devils and all that good stuff).

Tibbs
Well, like many types of categorizations, two dimensions are not enough. To truly analyze good vs evil one would need to examine choices like "Which would you save from your burning house, the neighbors 5 year old son, or your 13 million dollar winning lottery ticket, or neither?"

Also, I suspect alignment is an artificial measurement as one can be both good and evil, and simulaneously Lawful and Chaotic. On the weekends, my driving is lawful good, on my way to work on the mornings where I'm late my driving is chaotic evil. :)
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Warning: somewhat rantish post ahead. Though I'm not trying to offend anyone, those easily offended should stay away. It'll save a lot of time on both our parts.

As a long-time player of AD&D and one of those devoted role-players always trying to take the system beyond one-dimensionality, alignment tests like these never fail to irritate me. For several reasons.

1. Always too simple. The fact is, no philosopher, not even Plato who loved the dialectic, ever couched morals and ideals in short one-sentence questions. The format breaks it; you can't determine someone's ethics based on one-line questions with no detail. Details are important.

2. Easily loaded. The last one you picked is an incredible offender in this regard. There are rarely any surprises on tests like these because people come in with an alignment type they believe themselves to be, and conform their choices to them. That way, you get an incredibly skewed result. And, a second question to ponder. Is it possible to be evil while thinking that one's good? Absolutely, but alignment tests don't seem to think so. Just who isn't going to answer that they're out there to do what's right? It's just that the definition of "right" tends to vary. Of course, every test naturally has this vulnerability, but it doesn't make it a good thing just because it always exists.

3. Rife with strange personal interpretation. I hate to break it to whoever wrote that first test, but the priorities you place on a party do not make you any more good, evil, lawful or chaotic. In fact, just playing with the "party" variables, leaving all other choices the same, you can flip a character from lawful good to neutral evil. Um, no. For alignment to mean anything (and, I might point out, this takes quite a bit of work; in its basic form alignment is meaningless and rightfully excluded from many serious games of D&D), it has to be based on something more fundamental than party selection.

4. Absolute issue spin. A certain belief on a specific issue is cast as a specific alignment behaviour, which isn't the case. Two people can believe the same things for different reasons and be different alignments. They can believe the same thing for the same reason and be different alignments. No test takes this into account. For example, the last test on the list associates the response "laws allow the best people to rise to the top" with lawful evil - but since when was a belief in the general underpinning of meritocracy "evil"? The fact is, society works on the basis of the best people rising to the top through gradings and rankings - and we're not all evil. Complicating it further with the sensitive issue of the death penalty, I might point out that there are good reasons for all nine alignments to support it - and there are good reasons for all nine alignments to oppose it, too. Two lawful good characters can in fact take opposing viewpoints and argue them very well. Alignment refers to deeper, more basic tendencies - not one of a set of nine moulds, within which everyone agrees. To make alignment worthwhile it has to rise above nine pigeonholes, all in a row.

5. Caricaturization. Evil is cast as the maniacal alignment, concerned only with destruction and the deliberate attempt to harm others for no particular reason. Anyone who answers like that is insane. More importantly, people can be evil and yet answer none of those maniacally destructive questions. Another victim of the caricature is lawful, which is unfairly represented as oppressing, rulebound, and against freedom, all wrong assumptions. Again plucking an example from the last test, "The government which governs least governs best" is just as lawful a viewpoint as "Without law, society would collapse." In fact, those two views are often held by the same person, yet one is called chaotic and the other lawful.

6. Related to 4 and 5 above, choice counterposition. What I mean by that is the multiple-choice format of the tests tends to position certain (unrelated) viewpoints against each other, artificially. It forces one to choose between views that are only contradictory because the test says so. Can one not help others and yet plan the next adventure at the same time?

For all of these reasons, alignment tests really don't tell you anything. About you, about your characters, or about the game, and it's a shallow treatment of alignment and by extension, the nature of morality. Yes, I know these are just fun and games, and I'm not dumping on anyone who's amused by them. I just think it needs pointing out - that alignment tests really give short shrift to a topic that needs a better quality of discussion, if only that it helps catapult D&D past the stereotyped "buckets o' dice resolution system", hack'n'slash, and slaying bigger and bigger things.