Lurking
The fact that we can now see on the front page of the forums "who is online" is one thing. It used to take an extra and separate page to see that, if you wanted to do so.

But I am wondering how useful it is to anyone to know who else is reading that particular thread at the same time as you. I feel like I am peering over someone's shoulder in the library when I see that.

I want to 'lurk', be a shadow here even, until and unless I am ready to post.

Can the part of the forum software that lets you see who is reading the same post as you be turned off?

Does anyone else feel odd about seeing that?
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Nah, the world loves to keep up with where I'm flaming. B)

Here be Dragons!
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
It can be disabled in your account preferences.. i.e. its an opt-out option per user looks like.
Quote:Nah, the world loves to keep up with where I'm flaming.

I assume to light their cigarettes. ;)
>I want to 'lurk', be a shadow here even, until and unless I am ready to post.

Whenever you log in, there is a box you can check to keep your identity private. Also, if you don't mind logging in when you want to post, you can always view the boards as a guest, then log in to post.

>Does anyone else feel odd about seeing that?

Yeah, the reading the same topic as someone seems a little odd. bear in mind though, they may be on the topic, but not be actually at the computer... I myself usually have the LL open the whole day at work. Does this mean I'm always on? No, but it will say Baajikiil is on from 10:00-6:30 nearly every weekday.

Personally I don't really care either way. I like privacy as much as the next guy, but being able to view who's on currently can really facilitate PMs between friends(Heh, not that I actually have ever PMed someone).
Yep, but anyone who feels odd about it can simply log in anonymously. If you don't want people seeing what you're doing, logging in anonymously will protect you. This way, those that don't mind (like me) can have it their way and those who prefer more privacy (like a few who use anonymous mode and some who have asked me about it) can have it theirs.

Your email addresses are protected if you want them to be, your IP addresses can only be seen by the admins - I've made sure that the privacy is in place here because I know it's important to quite a few posters.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.