Never underestimate the power of boredom
Well, While I was uploading my latest rounds of changes for an ad I'm working on, I started goofing off on a long forgotten project. Back when we terenas Lurkers killed yogg, I was trying to come up with a nifty little tag that to put on our kill shot.

I never liked what I came up with, but I was feeling adventurous in the 10 minutes I had today, and came up with these.

[Image: Lurkers-terenas.png] [Image: Lurkers-stormrage.png]

They are quick and dirty, but I liked the idea of how they came out. I've decided I'm going to fly the Terenas one on the boards I frequent instead of a zetbit banner. About the only thing that I would do is go back and work on the link text a little as it is a little blurry on less DPI settings.

If you like them, or not, let me know:)Feel free to copy the link on here and use them. I don't use my website for much, so unless bandwidth becomes a 'serious' problem, they are there and free to use:)The SR one probably looks best on a dark background due to the facial lines, but would work anywhere.

Shoju
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Hi,

Quote:If you like them, or not, let me know:)
I like them:) Can you set the background color instead of having it transparent?

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Hi,
I like them:) Can you set the background color instead of having it transparent?

--Pete

What kind of background color would you like? I can toss a BG color behind them super quick.

EDIT: I have a copy of the grain bolty uses as the background here that is ready to go, but I left them transparent as they look better on the forums I visit as transparent. BG colors are quick though, so just let me know:)
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
This makes me wonder what the SR guild tabard looks like. The gold on brown (forum post) background made the Terenas one look just like our tabard. So it makes me wonder if SR actually has the same tabard as us or completely different. I'm betting it is different and them looking like the tabard is coincidence.
Quote:This makes me wonder what the SR guild tabard looks like. The gold on brown (forum post) background made the Terenas one look just like our tabard. So it makes me wonder if SR actually has the same tabard as us or completely different. I'm betting it is different and them looking like the tabard is coincidence.

The SR tabard background I believe is blue. Instead of trying something over done this time, I just SS'd the armory guild banners, removed the background, sharpened them up, added a few simple effects, found a font that I thought fit with the 'style' of the tabard icon, and went with it.
Hi,

Quote:What kind of background color would you like? I can toss a BG color behind them super quick.
I thought you might be able to get the colors the same as the guild tabard. I believe it's gold on blue (or should that be "or on a field azure"?;)) -- but I'm bad with colors.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Hi,
I thought you might be able to get the colors the same as the guild tabard. I believe it's gold on blue (or should that be "or on a field azure"?;)) -- but I'm bad with colors.

--Pete

Will do.
New Round!

plain tabard color background
[Image: Lurkers-terenas-tabback-1.png] [Image: Lurkers-stormrage-tabback-1.png]

Tabard color background with a border
[Image: Lurkers-terenas-tabback-2.png] [Image: Lurkers-stormrage-tabback-2.png]

Forum Wood grain background... PS: If Bolty doesn't approve of me sniping his background, I will pull these

[Image: Lurkers-terenas-forumback.png] [Image: Lurkers-stormrage-forumback.png]

Now because of the quickness that I've put these together, the background colors do not have the highlights to make them look like a tabard, they are just the color swatches.
The Terenas tabard isn't that red. :) Or at least it's not supposed to be.

Of course it got darkened up from the original design that Sir Die Alot and I came up with many years ago (and the border used to be white, not gold too). I realize it was quick and dirty but I know it doesn't look that red.

I miss the SR one being red. I was so happy when it went back to that. Now that it's the dull black I've stop wearing the tabard again. :)

I like the Terenas one on the forum background though. Part of the Terenas design was to try and match the forums and be horde centric. :)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:The Terenas tabard isn't that red. :) Or at least it's not supposed to be.

Of course it got darkened up from the original design that Sir Die Alot and I came up with many years ago (and the border used to be white, not gold too). I realize it was quick and dirty but I know it doesn't look that red.
I miss the SR one being red. I was so happy when it went back to that. Now that it's the dull black I've stop wearing the tabard again. :)
I like the Terenas one on the forum background though. Part of the Terenas design was to try and match the forums and be horde centric. :)

I used Color Match to get the median color of the tabards (to account for shadows and highlights in the way the banners are posted on the armory) If I had the time to, I would go in and add cloth styled folds, and highlights to give it the highlights and shadows that give it a more subdued tone.

EDIT: I went back and manually sampled the color from a darker portion of the terenas tabard. let me know what you think.

EDIT2: I didn't care for the wood grain one, so I went in and bordered and shadowed it so it looked a little more 'connected'.

[Image: Lurkers-terenas-forumback-shadowed.png] [Image: Lurkers-stormrage-forumback-shadowed.png]
Shoju . . . you have too much time on your hands and they do look really amazing.

- Kira
Dianotosa 85 Druid
Kirayla 85 Hunter
Bubblegirl 85 Paladin
Linnara 85 Priest
Solasha 85 Warlock
Lucindia 82 Mage
Kirrily 81 Shaman
Quote:Shoju . . . you have too much time on your hands and they do look really amazing.

- Kira

it honestly, wasn't much time. The originals took about 10 minutes and most of that was getting them imported and set up in ColorMatch. Past that, each color was.... 30 seconds, the effects were 30 seconds, and then about 2 minutes of copy paste effects, and shut off / tweak settings.
Quote:This makes me wonder what the SR guild tabard looks like. The gold on brown (forum post) background made the Terenas one look just like our tabard. So it makes me wonder if SR actually has the same tabard as us or completely different. I'm betting it is different and them looking like the tabard is coincidence.

SR tabard is black
Quote:SR tabard is black

huh. shows up on the armory as a dark blue. Will add a black one.

EDIT:
Now with more black

[Image: Lurkers-stormrage-black.png] [Image: Lurkers-stormrage-black-wborder.png]

EDIT2:
Now Terenas can fly with the tabard graphic border color

[Image: Lurkers-terenas-tabback-wborder.png]
Quote:huh. shows up on the armory as a dark blue. Will add a black one.

That's because it doesn't look that black in game either. What you had originally looks pretty close to what it looks like in game.

The Terenas one still does not look like it does in game. :) Well it does, but that's like the lower half. I still think of it as a dark brown, not a red. Pull the color more from the top. :) Of course this is just me not liking the color change whenever it got voted to be darker I think. :) It's supposed to be brown though. :)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:That's because it doesn't look that black in game either. What you had originally looks pretty close to what it looks like in game.

The Terenas one still does not look like it does in game. :) Well it does, but that's like the lower half. I still think of it as a dark brown, not a red. Pull the color more from the top. :) Of course this is just me not liking the color change whenever it got voted to be darker I think. :) It's supposed to be brown though. :)

Resampled the color from a SS of my hunter's tabard but it is from a lighting angle in Sholzar basin. It looks more brown, less red, not sure if that is better.
Quote:Of course this is just me not liking the color change whenever it got voted to be darker I think. :) It's supposed to be brown though. :)
I actually keep having the urge to do another vote to see what tabard people want. Something like making a thread saying "This is nothing official and nothing may come of it, but..." and then have people design/screen shot tabards that they would like to see as the guild tabard. See if there is any kind of one that stands out as what people would like. I keep not doing it, but I do have the thought about once a month or so.
Quote:[Image: Lurkers-stormrage-black-wborder.png]

[Image: Lurkers-terenas-tabback-wborder.png]

I feel like the borders are too close to the content. White space is your friend when designing anything. Also kind of feel the borders might benefit from some beveling to make them a lil less bright not sure about that one though. Definitely feel spacing would help though.
Quote:I feel like the borders are too close to the content. White space is your friend when designing anything. Also kind of feel the borders might benefit from some beveling to make them a lil less bright not sure about that one though. Definitely feel spacing would help though.

Yeah, the borders are WAY to close on the SR one, and still a little close on the Terenas one. If I get a chance this weekend, I will probably use more layers and effects to create the borders. At this point, they are just an inside stroke with very light shadowing. Quick and dirty:)
Two things:

1) The wood grain background used on this forum comes from Blizzard's original Diablo Strategy Forum, circa 1996. OLD SCHOOL, baby! Asking if I mind if it gets "sniped" is a bit ironic. :)

2) If we come up with "final" designs, I'd have no problem hosting them here and people can hotlink them. I got the bandwidth. Gotta get something useful out of my monthly fees!

Next up: Design a new look for the website. You're already halfway, right?
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.