Single Player Item-Spell Trouble
Hi guys, Forum n00b with a question:
A lot of spells "on striking" and "on attack" either don't trigger at all or don't cause any damage if they do. Example: Meteors on Skystrike, Fissure on Earthshaker -> don't cause damage; Hydra (anyone got a plural for that? Hydrae??) on Tiamat's and the magical suffix "amplify dmg" don't ever show up for me. So is this common knowledge that passed my dumb....umm....backside, or more of a weird thing that just happens to me? I play Single player on a ruby iMac, by the way...

THX
Nuur
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Greetings NuurAbSaal,

Welcome to the Lurker Lounge :)

Sadly, ALL of the 'chance to cast' items have been broken since v 1.09d came along, for single player. Blizzard (aka Buzzard) fixed it within about two weeks on the Realms, but have yet to do so for us single player people. :blink:

Now that it has been well over a year of waiting for the v1.10 patch that *should* fix this, many of us who play single player have given up and have gone back to v1.09b. In it, chance to cast items still work. You may want to give it a try too.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Thanks for the reply!
I guess Blizz forgot to put the "f****d up item spells" notice in the readme :P

Going back to .09b sounds intruiging, but how I could do this is, sadly, beyond me. Any directions ? :)
If you could tell me how to do it (OMG I'm a genuine n00b), and I actually managed to do it without erasing my HD, will items I already have work? I got a near-perfect Tiamat's, not really hard to find (even in single player there's MF :) ). but waiting for another perfect one...On the other hand I recently sold a cruel 28x% (I think it was a gothic) bow of Amp dmg, that didn't work...would have been nice with two sockets...
I'll get over it. Or not.

Care to join me in the tavern in a nice "the pros and cons of single player" thread? There probably are a couple of those already, but nowhere near as interesting or all-encompassing (d'oh) as mine would be, hehe

Thanks again for the welcome and the info

NuurAbSaal aka Oliver

on a sidenote, does anybody remember NuurAbSaal?
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Do a reinstall. D II then LoD. Then, download the 1.09b patch, either from Blizzard or Voodoo files, which is one of the sites that their site links to.

Presto, you now have 1.09b working! :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Merely copying 1.09b's d2game.dll over will fix this in single player (under 1.09d).

Of course to get that one would have to recreate 109b as you said.

Some related links:
http://www.lurkerlounge.com/cgi-bin/forum/...orum=MaggotLair
http://www.lurkerlounge.com/cgi-bin/forum/...orum=MaggotLair
. . . Or you could just switch the DLL. :lol:

Edit: beaten to punch line! Ah well, it happens. :lol:
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Thanks for replying!
If I reinstalled the whole thing I probably wouldn't be done with it before 1.10 is out (which is soon™ :lol: )
Also, there is the matter of the missing dll file, are you guys playing on a Mac? (you should :))

Maybe I'll sit it out and hope it gets fixed (I'm sure we all know that feeling)

I'm still waiting for someone who heard NuurAbSaal before, a little hint, it's from a game (no really?!)
First one to recognize it gets a "u roxor" reply and you know you all want one of those, right...

Again, thanks for the help
Oliver

I'll remember you.
Search on Google.com reveals:

Nur Ab Sal

Something to do with somebody called Las Baren(sorta like his name spelled backwards), and Sam and Max. I don't get it though, since I've never even heard of Sam and Max(well, heard just a little), and definitely don't remember seeing anything about it.
That somebody would actually do a google search to get a u roxor... :P

One extra point for effort, somewhat close on the result too.
NuurAbSaal is the funky-freaky emperor/deity of Atlantis in "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis". Nobody ever heard of it? Pretty phunny game but way too easy (Monkey Island 2 rules supreme).

So only I roxor. Or spend too much time playing ancient adventure games :)
::Note to self: get a life::

cu
Nuur

I'll remember you.
Yup, I saw it in a list of Easter Eggs for IJ FoA(I think) I borrowed the disk from a friend long ago, but I think it virused my old HDD, so I never reinstalled it. I play plenty of old-school games anyway(unfortunately, most of them have to be illegally downloaded, since the old disks are pretty much dust by now)
Are there any good features that would be lost if Nuur went back to 1.09b?
Hmm...not sure if this applies to your problem...but I've been playing with my single player S/S Barb for the past few weeks. I found the unique Zweihander (glee!) and it's been serving me well. The sword has a chance to cast fireball on attack. I've found that the fireball is never cast when I whirlwind (is this intended?) and it is only cast when I use "normal-attack-type" single target attacks (concentrate, berserk, etc). I haven't tested to see if the fireball actually does any damage, though.
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!