Question about monster lvls in Hell
Okay, I just finished act1 hell with my necro, and started act2. After the sewers, I went to town to identify my haul. I found that I had found a grand charm of vita(+41 life) with a lvl req of 69 to use.

I didn't think any monster in act1-2 hell could drop such a thing. I thought that a monster had to be lvl 91+ to drop a grand charm of vita with +41-45 life. Am I mistaken in my understanding of item generation? By looking at the arreat summit, I see that no monster in act1-2 is lvl 90, so there should be no leaders with a lvl of 90+. What lvl are chests in hell diff? Could it have fallen from a chest in the catacombs or sewers?

Thanks for any help.
That sounds buggy to me, unless the monster that dropped that charm was an mlvl 91 or better, and to my knowledge, Duriel is the highest level Act 2 monster weighing in at 88. Throughout the sewers, Act 2 Sewers 2 monsters are mlvl 79 and Bosses get the +3 mlvl bonus for mlvl 82. By Sewers 3 they go to mlvl 80 with bosses still being 82. Radament is an mlvl 85.

A buggy chest could have spawned it, that is definitely a possibility. Chests in hell tend to be 75 in higher levels of hell, so there exists the possibility that it was a glitch. I have seen worse come out of chests - a friend of mine showed me a 350 pdsc that he located in Hell Cows from a chest, something only available from Baal or better.

Hope that helps.
Conner

God Bless our American Troops!
A better way to pay for the War than Oil
I'm thinking it may have been a chest, I seem to recall(kinda iffy though) getting a grand charm from one... not from a monster.

I guess it's possible that someone(another player) else dropped it, but the chances are next to nil of someone dropping an unid grand charm from a lvl 90+ monster while fighting in act1 hell.
Try taking another look at the charm. The prefix 'of Vita' (pre=338), 36-40 Life, has level required to use of 69 and can spawn on ilvl 77+ Grand Charms (which matches all but your actual +X life). The prefix 'of Vita' (pre=339), 41-45 Life, has a required level to use of 83 and can spawn on ilvl 91+ Grand Charms.
Ruvanal is right. I was guessing on blind info there and only on the Level.
Conner

God Bless our American Troops!
A better way to pay for the War than Oil
D'oh. Yes, my understanding was wrong. I think I was thinking of about the fact that +2 skills amulets are lvl 67 to equip (and that in classic only Hell diablo could drop them), and figured that my lvl 69 to use charm had to have come from a lvl 91+ monster. I should have looked more closely at the numbers.

Also, of course I was mistaken: I remembered the lvl 69 to use right, but not the +41. It was in fact only +40. I checked it after I got home(I usually only post here at work).

Thanks. Still pretty rare to see one in act1-earlyact2 hell, but not impossible.