Classic Singer Barbarian
Classic Barbarian singer Guide

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction

After playing Diablo 2 since it came out I've mostly played the Necro ... I mean who doesn't like to raise the dead and have them fight for you ...
After getting my necro up to level 77 I kinda got bored, so I started Hardcore. Ofcourse with the necro, unfortunately when starting in Hardcore
you are REALLY poor, really. So I lost 3 necros in their early young lives. This gave me the idea of starting a barbarian. Easy to play etc.
Boy was I wrong, also lost my fair share of barabrians. When I finally got the hang of it, I had played alot of Barbarians. And tho WW is really nice
and fun to use, it got too easy.
Then I found http://www.diabloii.net/strategy/x-guides/...b-singing.shtml Nekkids LoD Singer Barbarian Guide on DiabloII.net.
Which really piqued my interest. One problem, I only play Classic, after some questions on some D2 forums I decided to make one and write this guide.
Was bored at work and thought it nice to give back something ...

As in Nekkids guide, this character is oriented towards a PvM PURE Singing Barb (using war cries exclusively).
Also ... all these suggestions are made up of my own experiences with my Singer Barbarian MeCryGOOD now at lvl 49 with a lvl 20 War Cry, currently
working on BO. Normal and NM mode are of no real concern, you WILL own ... one little problem at the earlier levels is mana ...
But at level 30 you can wear all the plus to mana items to at least get a nice amount of mana. But more on that later.

Let's start with the stat points. Pretty much the same as for the LoD Singer barbarian, with the exception of Dex.

Strength
One of the first things you will want to do is pump your strength to around 65.
This will allow you some options for equipment (Sigon's if you have it available) and will also be all the points you will need for future equipment.
Dexterity
Your ultimate goal will be 51 (or 55) dexterity, allowing you to equip the Shard. Stats on that later on.
Vitality
I generally recommend a MINIMUM of 75 vitality. It has been my experience that in normal play(not a lvl 38 in Hellcows ) that yuo'll not get hit alot,
and after BO you'll have enough to survice hits from normal and NM baddies.
Energy
Everything else. Period. If you feel you need more Vitality, by all maens invest in it ... this is not a STRICT guide, just some guidelines on what
is needed in the least.

Skills
War Cry
A must max skill. While it is a damage dealing cry, the most important aspect is the stun ability. When maxed, it can keep large groups of creatures
stunned for long periods of time and allow your party (and merc) to kill them with little danger to themselves. It is also capable of killing mobs in
normal and NM modes very effectively.
Important Note: War cry deals PHYSICAL damage. Keep this in mind when dealing with PI creatures. It will still stun them, but the damage just isn't there.

Battle Orders
Max as soon as possible. A large mana pool is your goal, and this will help immensely. It will also make you very welcome in parties.

Find Potion
At least 5 points. You will want to stay fully stocked with Full Rejuvs, plus it will help you keep your party stocked as well.

Battle Cry
One point should be enough, the 2% it increases is not worth the effort. But reducing enemies damage/defense while they are stunned helps your melee
party members dispose of them even faster.

Battle Command
One points. Increasing all of your (and your party's) skill levels by 1 is never a bad thing, but I've found it not really handy except too boost your
BO for 1 second.

Bash
One point. For early leveling, this will help immensely. I accidentally went on to Concentrate and Berzerk ... Don't even know why ...
So I waisted 2 skill points.

Leap Attack
One point. I have found that leaping into groups of ranged attack enemies (archers, mages, etc) can be more effective than running to them.
Just jump right in the middle, and crank out the war cry.

That covers the MUST have skills for this sub-class. I would also recommend the following:
Increased Speed
One point. Again, with proper items, this will eventually end up higher, allowing you to escape dangerous situations.

Natural resists
Five points. This will at least give you 0% resist while in Hell. More is always good to have, but due to diminishing returns I'd stick with five.

Excess skills can be placed where you feel appropriate. Personally, I put more into Shout to help the melee characters that I party with.
I have also put a point into Find Item, unfortunately this is a wasted point again for me ... since the percentage to find something at level 1 sucks

Equipment

Helm
Either get yourself a 3 Socketed Superior Death Mask with 3 Perfect Skulls for 57% Mana Regeneration or 3 Perfect Sapphires for 72 Extra mana.
Now wearing a Perfect Skulls helmet, Mana regeneration is nice, but I think having more mana is better.
If you want +1 to skills, get yourself a Tarn, I'd use one of these in the higher levels, and only if you think you have enough mana.

Amulet
Civerb's Icon: this is the best initial amulet IMHO due to 40% mana regeneration. Early on, your mana pool is going to be low, so being able to
recover mana quickly is a must.
+mana amulet: if all else fails, get an amulet with the best + mana bonus you have available.

Armor
Heavenly Garb: In Classic this armor is the only way to start off, 25% mana regen, +10% resists all, and +15 energy. Perfect for early (level 30-50) criers.
After getting enough mana and natural resists, try to get yourself a Goldskin. +1 to all skills is always good, and the defense is als pretty nice.

Gloves
Frostburns: Period. 40% extra mana, 'nuff said.

Rings
SoJ: 2 of these offer +2 all skills and +20% mana each. this is your goal for rings. Really hard to come by unfortunately ... so rings that offer big
plus mana, preferably with fast cast, are a nice subsitute.

Belt
Since the belts in D2C are somewhat dissapointing() I'd go for the nicest 16 slot belt you have.
Alternate: Nightsmoke or Lenymo (although only 3 and 2 rows).

Boots
Since there are no nice unique boots for the casters among the D2C characters, the best option would be the Threads of Chton. 30% faster r/w and
+50% Slower Stamina Drain, these will allow your Singer to run ENDLESSLY.
Alternate: rares boots with 30% R/W and good + mana.

Weapons / Shield
Best option is the Spectral Shard ... 50% FCR and 50 to mana. Having two of these should be REALLY impressive. I have only one and the FCR is already FAST.
If you have only one, you could either use Ume's Lament for 20% FCR and 40 Mana and as a shield The Wall of the Eyeless with also 20% FCR. Or if you want,
2 Ume's for 80 to mana ... not bad eiter.
(note: Your barbarian will look really freaky with the WOE and the Ume's ... )

Leveling
Leveling from 1-30 is one of your biggest challenges.
When starting, pump your strength to 65 as quick as possible. This will allow you to use Sigon's Full Steel set (giving you some nice set bonuses).
Also, equip a decent mace class weapon (since a lot of these require no dexterity). Set Bash (1 point) as one of your attacks, and use it as much as
possible (the added damage will be nice since you don't have weapon mastery).
I found that Act 2 Sewers and Arcane Sanctuary are great places to level in multiplayer games. Good experience, and very little effort involved.
Don't forget to find parties for act bosses, otherwise you are in for a LONG (and frustrating) fight.

My singing barb was rushed through all acts on all difficulties, so I could join every game. So after lvl 30 i just started joining Cow games to level up.
You'll amaze yourself as to how easy you can survive ... AND al the while helping your party members. After Normal Cows I just went to HellCows, see what
would happen there ... You'll amaze yourself AGAIN, as to how good this char can survive ... even in 8 player Hellcows.
Doing all the quests in normal and NM will go pretty fast when u have about 10 skillpoints in War Cry.

Ofcourse if you can not get into Hell, NM or even Normal Cowgames, CS runs should also do nicely ... IM is no longer a problem for this barabarian

Any suggestions, comments or whatever can be directed to me at darklordofcc@hotmail.com

Special thanks to: Nekkid for his LoD Singer Barbarian Guide v1.1
Battle Cry: One point should be enough, the 2% it increases is not worth the effort. But reducing enemies damage/defense while they are stunned helps your melee
party members dispose of them even faster.

If you Battle Cry a stunned mob from war cry, does the Battle Cry over write the stun or not? It shouldn't, but then, I had always though that warcries, like curses, that effected enemies tended to overwrite the previous effect.

I will ask my singing Friend, Maglor FoS, to look into this for me. :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
BattleCry and WarCry do NOT overwrite each other. Battlecry overwrites, and is overswritten by curses.
Wretched is the man who values flag over humanity.

Monkeycid@theamazonbasin.com
Appreciate the clarification. :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete