Items & ILVLs available in town?
I can't find any listing anywhere of what item levels are available TO PURCHASE in which acts and difficulties.
Specifically, I want to know if it's possible to buy Jeweler's armor (Jeweler's is L55) in Nightmare Act 5. I could have sworn I did it before, back in 1.08, but even then I know it was hard to come by. I don't know if they removed the possibility entirely from 1.09. It doesn't seem like anyone is trying too hard to make a total comprehensive guide to D2/LOD. Maybe it's too big a job. This just seems like information that should be available. Or maybe everyone is too busy rushing to hell cow level and using duped uniques...
>>>I can't find any listing anywhere of what item levels are available TO PURCHASE in which acts and difficulties.

The internal item level for shopped items will be ilvl = clvl 5. In Normal difficulty there some further caps at 12 (act1), 20 (act2), 28 (act3), 36 (act4) and 45 (act5).

>>>Specifically, I want to know if it's possible to buy Jeweler's armor (Jeweler's is L55) in Nightmare Act 5.

If you have a char with a sufficient level, it will be possible. Note that "Jewellers" has an affix level of 55, both the internal level of the item and the quality level of the itemtype play a major role to determine it.

You can either use the affix calculator to find out the minimum ilvl (and implicitely the char level) needed for different armour types to get an affix level of 55 or use the formulas on your own (you can find them here, e.g.).

To give you an impression, here are some of the values for different armour types you might encounter:

Plate Mail -> clvl 62 needed
Field Plate -> clvl 64 needed
Gothic Plate -> clvl 66 needed
Light Plate -> clvl 67 needed
Full Plate Mail -> clvl 68 needed
Chaos Armour -> clvl 72 needed

... and so on.

cu
Does this imply that I can always get a grey socketed armors from Fara in normal?
Later on vendors dont sell grey socketed items anymore.
e.g. if I wanted to find armor to make make stealth runic armor for example... 2 socket armors spawn easily in shops normally during normal play.
(First off: sorry about the doubled-topic deal, I'm new to this forum)

Thanks for the info, I went and looked on the Affix calculator site. That 12/20/28/36/45 (normal) info should be more widely available. Don't people shop?? :P Also, it says that there is NO inherent shop limitation in nightmare or hell difficulty - this is what I wanted to know. However, I looked at the clvls you said for the armors... what did you mean by that? You're saying you have to be clvl 62 to ever see Plate Mail in the shop? I know this can't be right... I'l level 60 right now and I see most of those armors in the Nightmare Act 5 shop. Maybe you added 5 when you should have subtracted or vice versa? Anyway, I'll keep on looking for Jeweler's stuff I guess... but it doesn't want to show itself. Thanks.
You're saying you have to be clvl 62 to ever see Plate Mail in the shop? I know this can't be right... I'l level 60 right now.....

You were asking about getting the "Jeweler's " prefix on armor. This prefix requires an alvl of 55+. Plate Mail has a qlvl fo 24. To get an alvl of 55 on a suit of Plate Mail, it would need to have an ilvl of 67+; which in turn would require that the clvl be 62+ (ilvl=62(clvl)+5=67).

Here is a link that covers better the finding of specific base items at the vendors, What they can be upgraded to (exceptionals and elite) with the corresponding chances.
http://www.lurkerlounge.com/cgi-bin/forum/...&forum=Workshop

For Plate Mail, with its qlvl=24, this would require that the character be 19+ to see it available in the shop. Also after the items have an ilvl of 25+, they will always be appearing in the magical form (no more normal, superior or normal/superior socketed version will be shown).