Questions
Hey folks,
I've been playing D2 since the stress test beta, with only a few small breaks for RL issues (and one for Asheron's Call, but that's another story). I play D2 exclusively HC, but lately have kind of hit a wall. I'm just not into it, and until the patch hits don't know if I will be.

So...last night I reinstalled Diablo and started playing a sorceror on B.net. Reading the recent article over on dii.net brought up fond memories of the years I spent playing this game. I got my sorceror up to almost level 12, and found a Thinking Cap for my trouble. Not a bad return I'd say ;)

Anyway, since I haven't played in a while I noticed a thing or two that I don't recall from my old days.

1. Back in the day, my friends and I were able to make our own private channels for chatting before a game. That no longer seems to be an option. Was this option removed from the Diablo client?
2. I guess I'm just very accustomed to the D2 way of doing things, but does every character = a separate b.net account? I logged in with my D2 account and had to change my character name to match that.
3. I know hacks/dupes/pks ruined public b.net for me when I was playing before. I'm sure they're still prevalent. Are private games still the only way to play safely?
4. I only saw 4 games on my join list last night when I logged in. Is it really that "dead" on b.net these days, or is it just that no one playes open games?

Well, these were just the things that jumped out at me on first glance. Overall, with the exception of not being able to run and the fact that I have to break my alt-key habit from D2, I had a blast. Hard to believe this game can still be addictive after all these years.
Quote:1. Back in the day, my friends and I were able to make our own private channels for chatting before a game. That no longer seems to be an option. Was this option removed from the Diablo client?

For a few years now D1 has been restricted to public channels. This isn't to say you can't make new channels - they just won't be private. You can make a new channel easily enough: Diablo Retail (Anything) suffices for a channel name. However, users performing a /whois on you will get your channel location instead of a "in private channel" notification.

Quote:2. I guess I'm just very accustomed to the D2 way of doing things, but does every character = a separate b.net account? I logged in with my D2 account and had to change my character name to match that.

Yes. Each character name = a different account name.

Quote:3. I know hacks/dupes/pks ruined public b.net for me when I was playing before. I'm sure they're still prevalent. Are private games still the only way to play safely?

There's been nothing to cause a decline in grief play or cheating. Ergo, public games still suck. Sadly, even the amusing idiots have all but dried up.

Quote:4. I only saw 4 games on my join list last night when I logged in. Is it really that "dead" on b.net these days, or is it just that no one playes open games?

There just aren't that many D1ers these days. Part of it is time of day, though.

Quote:Overall, with the exception of not being able to run and the fact that I have to break my alt-key habit from D2, I had a blast.

Don't completely knock the walking. Without it, D1's pacing would be as bad as D2's.

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
Thanks for the answers. No real surprises, but it was good to get confirmation.

Another thing that I remember from way back - someone had come up with a chart which described the best places to gain experience based on your character level. While I'm nowhere near the point where such a thing would matter, I'd still be interested to look it over again. I've checked almost all of the sites linked from here, but haven't come across it. I also peeked through Jarulf's guide and didn't see it there either. Anyone know where that might be found? Most Google searches are turning up D2 information.
Hi,

Hope this is what you want http://home.att.net/~dsf.glossary/diablo-exp.html

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

That's the one, thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. I had this thing printed out and sitting on my shelf for the longest time. The last time we went through a cleaning craze at home, I tossed it thinking I'd never need to reference it again. That was about 3 months ago. Go figure ;)
I'm taking a break from D2 as well(until 1.10 is released). I'm looking forward to playing some D1 while I wait.

Anyone up for a little D1?

PM me if you're interested
Im in the same boat, break from D2 and Everquest. Came back to D1 and having a blast. Met alot of great people so far, (to my great surprise) hoping to meet alot more.

I got this game way back as well, i remember the days of Wynd the Rogue, the infamous rumors over the cow level, town kill, and the flame wars :)

Game still rocks, says alot about a game when people keep coming back.
This is really funny, I got bored last weekend and dug out Diablo as well. My husband half watched me playing as he played D2 at his desk. The next day, he reinstalled D1 and we've been playing all week together and having a blast! Diablo is definitely a keeper that will be played for many fun years to come. Thanks for the link to that Expierence Point site. It's great! My character went from level 26 to almost 28 fairly quick using that chart. A most excellent chart. I may print it out for future use.

Rose
Quote:1. Back in the day, my friends and I were able to make our own private channels for chatting before a game. That no longer seems to be an option. Was this option removed from the Diablo client?
you can have your own "private" channel it just has to start with diablo USA/CAN - [anything can be put here] so you can have like diablo usa-lurkerloungue

don't blame me if it's not diablo or diablo retail, you should see my point
Malecow was slain by a mind numbing number crunching algorithm

Diablo 1 experience table diablo 1 ac table
It is:

Diablo Retail <insert most things>

It doesn't have to have "USA" or "CAN" in it-damn those people who think they own the world ;)
Such as some are Diablo Retail IMP, Diablo Retail Justicescales, Diablo Retail DSF-1 and so on (all on various servers).
"The axe? Aye, that's a good weapon, balanced against any foe. Look how it cleaves the air, and then, imagine a nice fat demon head in its path. Keep in mind, however, that it is slow to swing - but talk about dealing a heavy blow!"
I returned almost 2 weeks ago now . I played this from release until D2/LoD , cheating is so prevalent I packed that in over a year ago and joined the DAoC community . Anyway I introduced my children to Classic Diablo SP 2 weeks ago and got bitten by the bug again . Hello everyone :)
Take care
been playing for quite awhile, I believe that the legits should be out there passing on the torch. open games arent much of a hazard if you know what your doing. go bush(im a canadian).one thing tho, dont play open games from,(any channel you hang out in)because the idiots will follow you .there are still fun times to be had out there,.ever watch an idiot when you sell a gpow then throw the gold away.
Stash,Feb 28 2003, 03:47 PM Wrote:4.&nbsp; I only saw 4 games on my join list last night when I logged in.&nbsp; Is it really that "dead" on b.net these days, or is it just that no one playes open games?
Well the games only appear due to your level, that's why there aren't that much.

Anyways, I've started playing diablo a month ago after I played it alot with a friend I met from New york (I'm from Alberta). We played alot, I got to level 39 warrior and he - 38. It's fun when you have 2 warriors leveling up eaxclusively, nobody else playing with you. Very fun. I made a mage a while ago too. Recently restarted my warrior due to my amount of mana - too low from cauldrons. Now he's 32, haven't been playing him much. I've been focused on my mage - when I got to elvel 40, I restarted him, now he's level 41 with only 1066 mana, I need better stuff (preferrably jade/sorc shield or obs/sorc, or even emerald/sorc). I'm on as SaLtMaNjR (mage) and !!SaLtMaN!! (warrior). I do have a rogue with so-so good items including strange (long battle) bow of thunder and obsidian plate of sorcery 74ac, she's level 28 at the moment. My warrior has very good items, I like him the most cuz he has the cool stuff including King's sword of haste (broad) Awesome plate 73ac +147% ( I need a suffix one, GRR ), Emerald shield of the tiger - 15ac +44% resist all +50hp. and zod rings and jade/heavens ammy, oh and royal circlet. By the way, I'm 100% legit on all my chars so don't think I dupe or use hacks.
!!SaLtMaN!!,Mar 3 Wrote:(preferrably jade/sorc shield or obs/sorc, or even emerald/sorc).
Max ResistAll/Magic combination in a shield is Jade/Brilliance.
Except in pure mathematics, nothing is known for certain (although much is certainly false).

Carl Sagan, "The Demon Haunted World"
SteinHerz,Mar 31 2003, 03:26 AM Wrote:Max ResistAll/Magic combination in a shield is Jade/Brilliance.
You sure about that?
Because I found an Emerald Gothic shield of the lion... and I don't think there is a sorc shield either.
Because I found an Emerald Gothic shield of the lion...

Stein said the highest ResAll/+Magic combination. (He's correct, btw.) You cited a ResAll/+Hp shield, which doesn't rebutt his assertion.

Btw: Lion doesn't come on shields. Tiger's the highest.

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
Woops, sorry about that - Tiger* (+50 :))
Yes I already knew that, I was just dreaming - someone on bnet and I were talking about it and he said there's a class for every level of item etc etc, sorry if I've contradicted the almighty Jarulf :P