Finding an old friend
First of all, hello to Pete and anyone else who may remember me from the old days at the DSF. Hello Bolty, I have been reading this forum silently for three years since last we spoke... how was that for being a lurker? Well, except of course for your hiatus during which I lurked on Charis' and KoP's forum.

Back on topic...

I want to install D1 and play my old characters again. I miss them *sniff*. I never used version 1.09 because of the funny walking, so my chars are all version 1.08. I understand that version 1.10 changed the way that characters are saved, and the files now end up in the Diablo install folder. If I just put my old character files in that folder, will version 1.10 find them? If not, what should I do? I am running Windows XP if that matters.

Note: I realize I could just try it myself, but then I wouldn't have an excuse to post here and say hello to all of you nice people.

Regards,
Orcin
1.07 may be where you left off, 1.08 screwed the walking, and 1.09 resolved that again.

Jarulf's Guide explains how the char saves work, which IIRC changed at 1.08 to make it more like the way Diablo 2 does it and less arcane.

And hi. :) I think I arrived after you left the DSF.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Hi,

Well, first of all, Hi and welcome ;)

You're pulling my favorite stunt of getting the versions all balled up :) I don't think there is a version after 1.09. That's the version that shows on my startup screen and I just logged onto b.net to see if it was current. But, never mind. that is of small concern.

On your main question, I'm not too sure about what will and will not work. However, HowGozit covered much of the necessary info in http://www.lurkerlounge.com/diablo/informa...-howgozit.shtml Perhaps that will be of help. It looks to me that you might have to install Diablo, upgrade to version 1.07, use Kevin's or Stu's programs to transfer your characters (unless the new machine is named the same as the old), then upgrade to 1.09 to convert the characters (or maybe first to 1.08, since I don't know if the conversion is stayed in the program.)

Patches 1.04 and up are available on Buzzard's ftp site at http://ftp.blizzard.com/ Specifically at http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/diablo/patches/pc/ for the pc. However, I don't recall if that link will work directly. You might need to follow the directory structure of the ftp site.

Good luck,

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Thanks for the info. Yes, I did have the versions mixed up. Howgozit's article explains it all pretty clearly. At least I hadn't converted my characters to v1.08, because then I would be defeated by not knowing the name of my old computer. I am still alive but barely, because I cannot find a copy of Kevin's Diablobackup. His site is down for me, but maybe only temporarily. If anyone knows where I can get a copy of it, please post the link.

Cheers,
Orcin
I knew that old Pentium 200 computer in the closet would come in handy someday. It didn't run much in its day, but it did run Diablo. In fact, it was the last computer that I played my characters on. And lo and behold, it was patched to 1.07 with my characters intact.

So I patched to v1.08 and copied the files to diskette. Problem solved!!
Patching to 1.08 enables you to easily transfer characters from one computer to another but if you want to play on battlenet as well as restore walking to what it was in 1.07 (and, believe me, you do want that) , then you will need to patch to 1.09. I am sure the author of one of the D1 paladin variants would be welcome on USWest in channel Diablo Retail DSF-1:)
Nice to see a happy ending. :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete