I cant take it anymore!
Like everyone here (i hope ;) ) I am a legit player, I would never even contain a hacked, bugged or duped item in my inventory, let alone use one. Yet I am also a duelist, and if anyone else duels then you know its a pain to be a godly legit dueler, however you also know that is fairly easy to get your @$$ handed to you in a public duel game. And the reason lies in hacked, bugged whatever you want to call them, duped items. But I hold myself back, since I value somethings more than just winning.

That aside, I was visiting good ol' Diabloii.net and came across this fascinating article on the nature of illegit items: http://diabloii.net/columnists/a-items-origin.shtml . And this actually sounded really good, because according to this previous hacker or whatever he is, the period is over, the stuff still circulates in the market, but nothing new is coming out. Sounds good, I realize that maybe things can begin to get settled again.

Then I read this, linked also from dii.net, the latest thing out from the @$$ cowz that are the hacking slime of battle.net (/ebay...): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...0&category=1469

So I ask myself, WHAT THE HECK!? according to this [seemingly] well informed article, no more hacks should be coming out for a long time, and this is over the top, it makes ITH swords look like fluff....

Then I read more on diabloii.net and hear of a new dupe method, check ebay and people are selling the method for thousands of dollars.

The question is, will it ever end? And what is the chance that anyone will ever be able to play on closed battle.net again without hacked items everywhere. It is actually an oddity now to see someone with a single legit piece of equipment aside from maybe a windforce or a stormshield. I hope that the 1.10 ladder may cleanse the realms, but is that nearly as likely as the power crazed hackers, with an obsession of ruling the new realm as well as the old take over and ruin absolutely everything?!

One time, I started a new account and pretended to be completely new to d2, i joined a game and talked to some people. I told them I was new, they told me the hackers had taken over, they told me to return the CD...maybe they were right.....

-Wapptor
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."
-- James Branch Cabell
Still as corrupted as the last time I checked? Valoren Gunsling tried to post "legit rules" that of course raised the issue of "oh, and should we allow Map Hack" yet many of the folks who duel in that crowd seemed pretty legit.

Have you had any success in legit duelling with those folks?
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Wapptor,Mar 4 2003, 02:41 AM Wrote:Then I read more on diabloii.net and hear of a new dupe method, check ebay and people are selling the method for thousands of dollars.
Just in case anyone got hopeful for 1.10 in the near future, take a moment to consider the implications of the above sentence.

. . .

. . .

. . . and so the wait continues.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Why couldn't someone have a way for lurkers (*real* honest players) to post info on some of the excess that they have, and perhaps what they are looking for in exchange? I’m thinking nothing like the scale of the trading forums on other boards. I envision something casual, low key, and friendly. More of a public inventory list, and then use PM to make the deal. I have found many useful items that I end up just selling for the gold, but some are too valuable and so I just mule. I would just like to see something within the spirit of the original intent of the games designers.

For instance, my assassin was around level 55 and I was still using a pair of rare Quhab's. I couldn't find anything with high enough damage to navigate Hell difficulty. So I decided to go shopping on the trading channels. First I had to lurk for a few days to figure out that Bartuc's Cutthroat was trading for 1 SOJ. I didn't have any. So, then I noticed that people were trading 1 SOJ for 40 perfect gems, and so I went back to my gem mule and found 30. Later, after collecting more gems I was finally able to get the SOJ, and then traded it immediately for the coveted Bartuc's. This, and building up her trapping capabilities helped her to complete Hell difficulty. Now, 6 months later I have found 2 additional Bartuc's and a 'Cruel Suwayah'. I only have one assassin.

I've tried using the trading channels, but try finding the one legit player who might be interested in an entire Sigon's set, or anything below elite unique, or hacked. And, some channels text flies by so fast I can't tell what anyone is selling. I'm sure my experiences trading are not unique, and so I'm sure most people are as disgusted with its challenges ('wug' is the least of it). I'd even rather give it away to some appreciative lurker, than torture myself with public trades.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Hi,

Why couldn't someone have a way for lurkers (*real* honest players) to post info on some of the excess that they have, and perhaps what they are looking for in exchange?

Because it rapidly gets overrun with *fake* "honest" player ;) And then the hassle of nuking posts and killing accounts just becomes more than our mods want to put up with (and I fully sympathize).

Besides, trust is really a per person quality. So the best way is to play with your group and trade there, or not trade at all.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Or you could do what I do, trade with outsiders, for items that no one would possibly want (thus the odds of them duping ect. are incredibly low)

Woo ha! ;)
Well, I just found an ethereal 3 socketed Scarab Husk. Exceptionally low strength with 555 defense. If you need, PM me.

Just kidding. I have that but I thought I would joke.

You need to read that article a little further. It was discussed in that article that the worst (or best of) the Iths are yet to come. These guys took severe advantage of the game when it wasn't patched. Simply put, they have their items already made and are just creating demand for bigger and better. As the market demands better, they keep their values high by introducing only pieces and parts. They all have their private duping technique that nobody will ever be told no matter what you pay (once it's out, someone can tip Blizz and poof! Patched). Look at the jewels that are out. According to that document, there was a time when Open could join a Closed game.

If this was only fixed in April of 2002, I remember some VERY nasty jewels that were available on Open that could already be on closed and nobody would know it. The Havoc Jewel is out right now, but I guarantee that there are FAR worse on Open that WERE available early last year. Ever seen an Ivory Jewel? 19 stats on the jewel. Introduced in early 2002 to the Open item makers. To bring that jewel into Closed would make duelling pointless. The +7 skills charms (aka Expert's SC of the Apprentice) was introduced into open in 2001. What that document told me was that there were alot of stupid players out there that actually BUY these cheated goods, and they are by far the most defensive people in the world when you call them a cheater. "Oh, I could OWN YOU!" Sure, ok. But if these people were doing a Poltergeist like transcendence into the Closed Realm with this gear, I would say that the worst is yet to come, and anyone dumb enough to buy anything on Ebay will only fuel their economy.

The article was written by a notorious hack site admin (check it out, and the author is a SHE), she will post all hacks and news on hacks, and then tell you to use at your own discretion. LOL, the old disclaimer. She also has VERY poor writing skills IMO. That aside tho, it was very informative and makes complete sense to me as to how this stuff made it into the realms. Anyone familiar with modding equipment and items in Open Bnet knows that you can make some very powerful and disgustingly pointless equipment. I knew all along that many of these hacks HAD to be brought in from Open, because there is just absolutely NO WAY you can access Bnet to hack it and edit an item like that. You MUST have access to the item's code and get the server to agree that it is a real item. All while not destroying your character. Only place to do that is Open, so like I said, the worst is coming. That article just confirmed it for me.

Most surprising is that GFrazier supposedly met her in a private game, and according to the screen shots I saw when I visited out of curiousity, FOR SHAME GF! That better not have been you talking with a hack supporter!

But here's an idea if you wanted to start a trading forum channel here. You can post your items, but no uniques, set items, or hacks. Hey! What's left? Hmm, maybe some neat socketed armors, base elite blues for cubing, amulets that we might be looking for, charms that people would appreciate. I would definitely be a loyal subscriber of that because I am always looking for stuff nobody wants. I'm the Sultan of the Land of Diablo Item Misfits.
Conner

God Bless our American Troops!
A better way to pay for the War than Oil
Well put, I think everyone should read that article. However I am not sure everything came in through open. If anyone has taken a look at bugged items (e.g. string or valor) they have select nice mods, but if it was as customizable as open (cmon we've all made godly items in open once lol) I would think they would have added more.

The biggest question remains however, when will it ever end, and is there anything we or blizzard can do to stop these people? I checked ebay like i said, it was linked to from dii.net. If anyone finds a legit item on those pages tell me, i'm not holding my breath...

-Wapptor
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."
-- James Branch Cabell
Hi,

It is really quite simple. But too expensive. First, hire someone that actually knows how to do secure client-server. Second, rewrite the D2 code in its entirety so that only the information necessary for each player is passed to each player and only control input is accepted from the client. Then delete all realm characters and start over.

Or, in other words, do the job they should have done in the first place.

Of course, it would have no effect on open -- but so what? Open was never meant to be secure anyway.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Here here, Pete. I wanted to point out something and I think we need to change our lexicon on a few words that make me CRINGE when I read them... All imply a legitimate form of play.

Bugged/Buggy: There are only a few buggy things in the game. We call that code. People use this like it is an item that appeared because of game code. Bugged should be replaced with the word Fused. As in, "Looking for your Fused String, I offer Godly Ith Blade." As if using the word Bugged is gonna protect them from Blizzard, well, it has so far. ;)

Legit: Bad word to use anymore. Especially since it is abused by such spammers as D2Legit.com (a joke/oxymoron), and anyone looking for a Legit Ith CB or BB. WTF? Legit? I saw a post somewhere on another forum that used the word Clean, as in "I'm Clean, I don't use hacks." Legit is being abused by people in such statements like, "I'm Legit, except I use Maphack and Occy Rings. And that Constricting Ring is Legit, it was meant to be in the game. My 1.08 Windforce is Legit, I bought it for 15 sojs in the channels."

Godly: Implies that a person has the best gear and stuff. To me, Godly is a mod available on Armors with 101-200% enhanced defense. The way it's used anymore it implies Cheated, Super Hacked, Above the Dupe Scanner. As in, "I need 1.08 Windforce with Godly Havok Mark Jewel, I offer Godly." or... "I need your Godly Ith Armor!" (Ed. note: When I see spams requesting that, I show them my Godly Sacred Armor, 163% enhanced defense which is socketed with an Ith Rune, I can post a pic if you wanna see it.)

These words make me want to wretch when I see them. I keep a trash can handy just in case.

But, Blizz shouldn't wipe the Realms, simply release this long awaited patch because I understand they have done massive game item changes, which goes to say that they should be able to detect hacks. I hope.
Conner

God Bless our American Troops!
A better way to pay for the War than Oil