Zookeeper Necro
Skeleton Info

Amp Damage doesn't work well with skeletons because when they only hit with 1 swing in 20 there is not much damage to amplify. They start to miss that much in Act 2 Nightmare. Also an x-pack merc from Act 2 using Blessed Aim/Might won't help the skels, as even a 290% bonus to the base skel AR of 5 won't help at all. Perhaps large numbers of skeletons or damage bonuses can help? Having 20 skeletons surround and attack a monster can garuantee on average 1 hit lands per "round" of attacks. For a large number of attacks a skeleton hit with bonus damage could be considered equivalent to multiple normal hits. Unfortunately, only a few skeleton warriors can attack the same target at once, and giving skeletons massive damage bonuses makes luck too much of a factor in skeleton melee.

Thus, the main reasons skeletons are harmless is that they can't hit anything.

I would like to see skeletons do some damage on their own if the necro invests the necessary skill points to do so, so what I did was modify my own game for single player. I increased the AR and life to be equal to the Bone Warrior found in the Den of Evil for Nightmare and Hell levels. This works fairly well, it is balanced and not overpowering

Code:
NecroSkeleton Stats (original)
HP    AC    To-Hit(AR)
21    5    3

30    5    4

42    6    6

NecroSkeleton Stats (modified)
HP    AC    To-Hit(AR)
21    24    3

88    26    98

123    28    253

Chance to Hit for Melee Attacks: 100 * AR / (AR + DR) * 2 * alvl / (alvl + dlvl)

AR = Attack Rating; alvl = Level of Attacker; dlvl = Level of Defender.

Growler
Growler

"To excuse such an atrocity by blaming U.S. government policies is to deny the basic idea of all morality: that individuals are responsible for their actions." -- Salman Rushdie writing of September 11th
I build a necro like this. He used.. (sorry I know some obvious)

Max skeletons, Max skel mages, Max skel mastery, Max fire Golem, 1 point golem mastery (get plenty from + skillz stuff), Amp damage 1 (again, plenty more fkrom sills stuff), and the rest into revives and prereqs.

I used the following equipment (that I remember, it's been awhile)...

Arm of king Leoric, Homunculus, Skin of the Vipermagi, +3 summoning amulet, 2 sojs, frostburns, crafted caster boots, string of ears, Unique Shako, and 6 or so summoning GCs.

I also used a Fire rogue merc, which I chose because, 1.) rogues do good damage 2.) they are good at staying out of trouble 3.) they would be able to shoot even in the presence of all those skels 4.) cold mage mercs would destroy much needed bodies, fire mages suck, and lightning ones annoy me because they mae it difficult to discern the presence of a LEB. 5.) act 2 aura's would be nice, but the mercs would never be able to get to the baddies to fight and I didn't want to use thorns. 6.) Barb mercs ae worthless to a zookeeper, as they hardly ever are able to close in on monsters with all the summons there 7.) cold rogues would destroy bodies.

That necro was perfectly viable in hell, but would always need to sit in act one for awhile waiting for the Fire golem and merc to kill a few Zombies and Spike fiends when in a solo game.

P.S. I thought I should add, bosses are tough, but certainly not impossible. They do tae an incredibly long time to kill, as does everything else. However, the protection offered by the minions is exxtreme and I made it through hell dying only once to (arrrrrtrgggghhhhh forget name.....the wizard from the top seal in Diablo's chamber.)
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
Quote:(arrrrrtrgggghhhhh forget name.....the wizard from the top seal in Diablo's chamber.)

Lord De Seis, an Oblivion Knight. Hardly a wizard, more like a liche, or a necromancer. :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Growler,Mar 22 2003, 09:44 PM Wrote:Amp Damage doesn't work well with skeletons because
works pretty well with Thorns

(i've seen them one hit kill Hell cows with just me in the game)