Highest Grade Armour
At the moment I have armour i cant remember what type but it has 600 Defence and i am wondering what is the highest anyone has found . I am currently in Hell Act 2 and I found that armour in Act 4 of Nightmare. (BY the way this is all single player). I have tried to cube it to randomize its attributes but so far the most i have seen is 600. If anyone has any input it would greatly be appreciated. I just need to know if i should keep on gambling my millions of gold pieces (which i don't really need anyway) to try for something better. And yes i am well aware of how you can cheet the gambling system of diablo II and that doesn't really help me. :blink:
Karma is justice with the satisfaction... I don't believe in justice
Well, I will not exactly answer your question, but Defense is absolutely useless for a bowazon, and for a variety of reasons :
1) Bowazons are ranged fighters, and are well protected by their minions (Valkyrie and Decoy), by their Merc, and by this excellent skill known as Slow Missiles
2) If a monster manages to come near the bowazon, the best thing to do is obviously to retreat as fast as possible. And Defense doesn't work when running
3) Bowazons have their Defensive passives (Dodge, Avoid, Evade), which are generally much more useful than DR to avoid being hit in all situations
4) Without any DR-boost skills (like Shout, Bear form, Defiance (you can get this one on a merc, true) or even the good old Shiver armor), the amount of DR a bowazon can get is quite limited.

If you really insist on getting a huge defense, then your best bet is to shop in Act4 and Act5 Hell, and try to find an elite armor of some kind, with an enhanced defense property (although those are generally very costly).
I have a 1204 Corpsemourn and a ethereal 1026 Que-Hegan's... and the Corpsemourn isn't even close to perfect (like 164%)
Okay fair enough I should probably concentrate more on my attack than defence but i also need to know if there is a maximum defence allowed for items in single player, cause i dont play it on the net and i was wondering if obiwan , did you get that stuff in multi and is stufff like that only available in multi or is there all the same stuff in both single and multi?
Karma is justice with the satisfaction... I don't believe in justice
There is no difference in defence limits (or any other item ability) between single-player and multi-player.

Open, Realm, HC, 2 players, 8 players. It's all the same, although you get a greater chance of finding good items with more players in the game.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Well, I suppose a perfect Etheral Godly Sacred Plate socketed with Pul and Zod would have the absolute best defense... Good luck finding one, though. :ph34r:
Highest defense armor I've seen was a gladiator's bane that was over 1400 defense. I think it was 1402. (no sockets)

Other then that, I have a godly ornate plate that is about 1390. (no sockets)

I'll have to second the motion that defense for a bowazon isn't very useful.
USWest Hardcore Realms
Accounts: mikedok5, mikedok6
My Gladiator's Bane is 1418, and I'm not likely to find better. I'm happy enough to have found one. I'm not sure that it is my highest armor, though. I have a couple godly archon plates, one of which I found. I have godly sacred armor (from Larzuk), but it is kind of heavy for much use.

The query though was about armor for someone level 56, and they would have a ways to go before Gladiator's, which is level 85.

For the bowazon in question I would recommend Dark Adherent, which is level 49. With her defience merc, my bowazon gets up to 5162. She can stand in the middle of a screen of cows and strafe. No need to run around. This is a rather different build for a bowazon, but it works.
A friend of mine gave his Defiance merc an ethereal Gladiator's Bane. about 2050 def, I think. pretty nice for a merc, considering the low requirements.

As for a zon, I *HIGHLY* recommend LionHeart. 3 not-so-difficult to find runes (Hel-Lum-Fal) will give you a piece of armor with incredible stats and a level req of only 41. This runeword is soooooo useful. put it in a low-req armor (ghost armor, perhaps) and you wont get any running penalties(?). The only thing this armor lacks is Cannot Be Frozen.
I found a 1600 defence Godly Elite something-or-other one time in Hell Kurast. It was a piece of junk for that Paladin though. He stuck with his Heavenly Garb (until just before the Ancients) instead.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War