Diablo
Does anyone have any good strategies for defeating Diablo? I finally got to him after a few months of playing on and off and I got him to about 3/4 life before he killed me with his Lightning Inferno attack right when I went for a potion, sadly, I was too late in hitting the '4' button and drinking my potion. I've got maxed out resistances to all but lightning and I've got an AR of around 600-650 or so with a damage of around 30-70 with cold enchant. I'm not very experienced with Diablo so any and all advice will prove to be extremely helpful.

Zakarum
[font=Arial size=3]If 'I think therefore I am' is true, then is 'I think not, therefore I am not' true?[/font]

Virginia Tech is the best damn school in the country! I'm not too sure about the cities though....
It would help greatly if you mention your character class, the level, or build you have, So that people would know what are your capabilities and restrictions......

Here are strategies that may work for almost enyone:

ALWAYS have full belt of potions, preferrably rejuves.....

Run around alot, when he uses his lightning hose, run in close proximity to him, you'll have a much faster turning and would avoid most of it, and dont worry, while he is busy whith his lightning, he wont smack you when you come out.....

Try to use the pentgram to your advantage, or avoid it if it disadvantages you, if you dont have much health and run alot, dont fight there, have a more open area to run in, and if you'r a strong melee fighter like a barb or druid, you might want to go head on whith him and keep him from running by fighting in the pentgram......

After the last seal is open and you'r ready to fight, cast a town portal before the fight, so if you need to retreat, you'd always have one open, make sure it is well away from him so he wont follow and cast his bone prison on you.....

Well, that is all I have right now, if you'd give me more info about your char, I would surely help more...... ;)
"It burns because its burning!"
Haha...i didn't even think about that stuff...anyways...here goes...[i'm an idiot ;) ]
I've got a level 27 Paladin, and I'm working toward building a Freezadin. I've got a level 5 holy freeze, level 4 resistances, level 5 thorns.
I can't remember what all weapons and armor i have, but they do complement the Freezadin build. If anyone needs anything else just ask away.

Zakarum
[font=Arial size=3]If 'I think therefore I am' is true, then is 'I think not, therefore I am not' true?[/font]

Virginia Tech is the best damn school in the country! I'm not too sure about the cities though....
Zakarum,Mar 6 2003, 02:00 PM Wrote:I've got a level 27 Paladin, and I'm working toward building a Freezadin.  I've got a level 5 holy freeze, level 4 resistances, level 5 thorns.
I can't remember what all weapons and armor i have, but they do complement the Freezadin build.  If anyone needs anything else just ask away.

Zakarum
Resistances? :blink:

er . . . wtf? :blink:

You mean you spent points on the resistance auras that very few people ever bother to put 1 point in? That's insane! I think I might try that just to surprise people with auras they've never seen before . . .

Anyway, that still leaves your Combat Skill allocations. What is the primary attack your character uses?
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
I haven't really put any points into the Combat Tree. I mainly keep the aura's up when I'm fighting Diablo cuz my non-aura'd fire resistance is somwhere in the lower 20's but flash Holy Freeze occasionally just to get that extra cold damage in there. I hope that helped. If not let me know.

doesn't add cold damage. It slows down monsters, but it doesn't add to your attack. Were you thinking that it did and that it was enough? That would be part of the reason why you're his punching bag.

As for strategy, I would follow the advice of the others and run around when he's attacking. In my experience, the "flame river" attack that he has is much more dangerous than the lightning.

Just take it nice and easy. Patience is sometimes required for the act bosses.

Good luck.
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
I would suggest you throw some points into Zeal, possibly using the Kelpie Snare or the General's Tan Do Li Ga to slow him down further. Throw in a few small charms of cold damage, and he should be pretty much frozen. Zeal has the advantage of speeding up your weapon(but still dependant on base speed), allowing you to get in more hits in less time, which would also help you to reduce the threat of his blocking(I hear he blocks 69% of all melee attacks)
Freeze works well on Diablo, and so does thorns (when he smacks you).

So I would suggest having the freeze aura on him till he gets blue, then switch to thorns, the cold effect will last longer after the aura has changed, then just before the cold effect weares out, activate Holy Freeze again....

This will keep him slow and yet will damage him back, the fact that you didnt put enything in the combat tree yet is very bad though, in my opinion, and will get worse if you dont start paying attention to your damage needs, go for Zeal, and other than Holy Freeze put points (later on when you want to perfect your build) in Fanaticism, well, I dont want to tell you waht to do exactly, its just what I would do, the fun in Diablo is to make your own builds and see them work..........

Make him work, your well on your way.......
.......Ummm, a very wierd double post??
Zakarum,Mar 6 2003, 02:33 PM Wrote:I haven't really put any points into the Combat Tree.  I mainly keep the aura's up when I'm fighting Diablo cuz my non-aura'd fire resistance is somwhere in the lower 20's  but flash Holy Freeze occasionally just to get that extra cold damage in there.  I hope that helped.  If not let me know.
Oh dear.

I'm thinking you've bound your auras correctly to the attack button on the right and have nothing at all bound to the attack button on the left, is that correct?

If so, then you should know that having two skills selected is not only possible, but how more than 90% of all Paladins builds work.

eg. Paladin A. assigns Vengeance to the left for activation with his left click and Conviction Aura to the right to be occasionally switched out with other 1 point support auras. Paladin B assigns Zeal to the left and Fanaticism to the right for a super fast attack result.

See? Your Paladins usually work best as a two-part combination where an aura reinforces an attack. Actually Holy Shield is fire and forget, so technically three-part if you don't get tricky with aura flashing and you use a shield.

Yikes! That's one troublesome character you have there. :unsure:

Quick fix advice? build up Zeal to level 4, click on the left attack icon and reset it to Zeal. Run that in conjunction with Holy Freeze for a "you are fast, they are slow result". See if you can get a hold of either increased attack speed gloves or Cleglaws Pincers (Cleglaws slows your target in addition to your Holy Freeze chilling making for ultra slow monsters).

As for Diablo specifically? "Magic Damage Reduced" is very nice to see on an item. If you can get that number to about 5 Diablo gets much easier. Shields are great and work very well in a Paladin's hand. Get the dexterity up for high blocking and maybe insert Diamonds into socketed shields for big resistances too. In fact the reason almost nobody ever invests in those near-pointless resistance auras is because resistances are so easy to achieve with something as simple as a 3 socket (or 4 socket) shield. With a Paladin in Normal you should be able to build your character so that he just runs up to D, latches on and basically stays put for the duration of the fight.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War