cheating
If this would turn out to be true I would certainly never join public games anymore.
Be sure to tell us the results weakwarrior
Quote:If this would turn out to be true I would certainly never join public games anymore.
Be sure to tell us the results weakwarrior
theres only about 5 people total who can do it, if you are on right now i can show you.
Mike could move me around (cast a TP on me in town) and send me wherever he wanted. If he tried to send me to anything but the regular 16 levels he crashed my game. No stat changing, though he told me who could. Perhaps I'll find one of them around at some point.
Quote:Mike could move me around (cast a TP on me in town) and send me wherever he wanted. If he tried to send me to anything but the regular 16 levels he crashed my game. No stat changing, though he told me who could. Perhaps I'll find one of them around at some point.

there was more to it than just "casting a tp on you", that was just the end result of a semi complicated process.
In order to send someone to unused levels they need a couple basic anti-crash patches to prevent the crashes one would expect, i was attempting to enter the levels myself without them to see if you could, but alas you are required for at least lazarus' and water supply, and chamber of bone levels. perhaps next time if you are willing i can put together a file of the bare minimums so you can see them. as for stat changing, pretty much the top 2 or 3 coders can do it, if you see any of them online feel free to ask them, most of them would be happy to show you.
Quote:there was more to it than just "casting a tp on you", that was just the end result of a semi complicated process.
In order to send someone to unused levels they need a couple basic anti-crash patches to prevent the crashes one would expect, i was attempting to enter the levels myself without them to see if you could, but alas you are required for at least lazarus' and water supply, and chamber of bone levels. perhaps next time if you are willing i can put together a file of the bare minimums so you can see them. as for stat changing, pretty much the top 2 or 3 coders can do it, if you see any of them online feel free to ask them, most of them would be happy to show you.
I was quite impressed. The question which I wanted to sort out was what could a hacker do to a legit player - so downloading a file which prevents crashes is out. When I said "casting a tp on you" I meant to describe what it looked like from my vantage - not what went into the process.
Quote:there was more to it than just "casting a tp on you", that was just the end result of a semi complicated process.

Thank you for demonstrating it to someone. I'm happy to accept that as proof it can be done.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
like i stated before, my goal is not to decieve people, not to "talk myself up", it is simply to put forth the truth.

i dont need to talk myself up, i already know more than 90% of the world about d1, both legit and non. i have mad respect for LL as i have been viewing these boards for years,and in fact gained a lot of my knowledge from here in my early days. i remember when STSI was still about d1. i post but once in a blue moon and almost always forget my previous logins. i simply play both sides of the fence, i have an entire install of d1 dedicated to legit characters, and about 2 characters that i frequently rename that are not legit. my goal is to gain and pass along knowledge, nothing more.
I spotted a potential remote corruption years ago and thought it would work in theory, but never got around to trying it. Glad to see I was right.

If anyone's really worried about this exploit, I can try to find my notes and write up a fix. A short DHack style patch could fix the problem, so there'd be no need to download an arbitrary binary from me. Caveat: since the fix is so small, anyone competent to implement autokill could easily derive an exploit once they see what I change to add protection.

Mike, are you personally familiar with the details of how to cause remote corruption (but lack the tools to generate the necessary messages), or are you going based on the demonstrated abilities of your associates?
the corruption doesnt rely at all on remote injection, though you can do it that way too, there are several char corruptions floating around that do not use it. some rely on simply forcing your level to 0, some inject a corrupt item into your inventory, some just cause your char data to go all screwy. you can actually fix all of them with currently existing tools.

all im allowed to say on the subject is that it allows you to basically write your own code to another client. you can do anything, make them walk to x,y? sure. make them die spontaneously god mode or otherwise? yes. i actually saw one guy who was able to remotely DEACTIVATE codes I had running. im not allowed to discuss the details of how it works being that i am not the original creator, and the people who worked it out have asked that it be kept hush hush.

as for patching it... one of the coders actually told me once that "pretty much everyone has the anti for it, and just doesnt know that they do"(referring to cheaters in general.) and he is right.

as for anyone worried about it, just dont mouth off to the coders and you will be fine since the only people in possession of the hack are fairly laid back and keep to themselves.

if you have msn i may be able to set up a meeting with one or more of the guys who have it.
Quote:the corruption doesnt rely at all on remote injection
Kp didn't mention 'injection'. Tricks like the one you demonstrated to Weakwarrior rely on 'retail' code that can be triggered into doing unexpected things, by telling it certain events have happened. Not *everything* is possible, only the existing potential exploits.

Quote:as for anyone worried about it, just dont mouth off to the coders and you will be fine
So, they're just a bunch of kids who get mean when not treated to their liking? :lol:
Quote:Kp didn't mention 'injection'. Tricks like the one you demonstrated to Weakwarrior rely on 'retail' code that can be triggered into doing unexpected things, by telling it certain events have happened. Not *everything* is possible, only the existing potential exploits.

So, they're just a bunch of kids who get mean when not treated to their liking? :lol:
haha not at all they just prefer to be treated with respect:P