Do Exploding Potions Drop?
Back in the day, you could buy a hamburger for ten cents, gasoline was a quarter, and any ring, a chipped ruby, and an exploding potion you could buy in the store made a Garnet ring (21-30% resistance). This was better than you're likely to find early-mid game (at least for an untwinked char), and extremely useful in act 2's sewers, but now not only do you need a perfect ruby, you need to get yourself an exploding potion, which are no longer sold in stores and I can't seem to get one to drop. Various online treasure class calculators only lead me to kill things that drop oil or fulminating potions, which are no good for the recipe.

So are exploding shrines the only way to get an exploding potion for this recipe? That seems particularly odd considering that the viridian, and cobalt ring recipies work with potions you can buy, and the Coral ring doesn't require anything but the ring and gem.

Also, what's the ilvl/alvl for the recipe (for the suffix, if you get one)
The exploding potions are in TC misc 1, which is called by TC's Act 3 Junk, Act 4 Junk and Swarm 1. Ignoring the first 2 TC's, the Swarm 1 TC is dropped by Itchies (Far Oasis), BlackLocusts (Maggot Lair, all three levels), CarrionBird (Rocky Waste) and UndeadScavenger (Dry Hills and Far Oasis). These will probably be the easiest areas to find them from monsters till act 3 or 4 (the Junk TC's). An exploding shrine would be easiest yet, just do after the area is clear and drink a healing to patch yourself up.

The Garnet Ring formula will generate an alvl=ilvl=30 ring.
I've never been hurt by exploding/poison shrines. The ONLY shrine which ever injures Players is the Fire shrine(the one with the super "static field" fireball nova) If memory serves, your best chance to get ANY kind of throwing potion is to kill those Act 2 cats that throw potions.
AtomicKitKat,Mar 8 2003, 07:28 PM Wrote:I've never been hurt by exploding/poison shrines. The ONLY shrine which ever injures Players is the Fire shrine(the one with the super "static field" fireball nova) If memory serves, your best chance to get ANY kind of throwing potion is to kill those Act 2 cats that throw potions.
Intrestingly they drop bows :angry:

Anyhow, if you do come across a exploding shrine, open your inventory and put them one by one. Otherwise they will stack together and you won't be able to craft as much :P
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
AtomicKitKat,Mar 8 2003, 10:28 PM Wrote:I've never been hurt by exploding/poison shrines. The ONLY shrine which ever injures Players is the Fire shrine(the one with the super "static field" fireball nova) If memory serves, your best chance to get ANY kind of throwing potion is to kill those Act 2 cats that throw potions.
I don't mess with the shrives for the most part. I will use the exerience shrines if I going through an area solo and occassionaly the mana or combat shrines. The only type that I do use with any regularity are the magic wells (to cure the minions and hirelings).

In act 2 normal none of the the PantherWoman monsters (the one that throw potions) can drop an exploding potion, which is what was needed at that early point. In later acts (nomal 3+) many of the TC's will have a chance to access the misc 1 TC which is the only TC that will actually generate the exploding potion (code=opm).
Yep, there they are. I was apparently misusing the TC calculators, they seemed to indicate i needed to look in normal or nightmare act 2 desert (where the carrion birds, etc. are), but in early act 3 they are somewhat plentiful. Now that I can find the exploding potions, I can probably roll a good pair in time for nightmare sewers. Thanks!