Berserk's & Fire Arrow's damage type modification
I have been wondering how skills, such as Berserk and Fire Arrow, which modify the basic weapon damage from physical to another damage type (e.g. magical), exactly work. The questions I have in my mind:
- Do they modify all physical damage on the attack, or just the weapon damage?
- So, do the stat bonuses get also modified to another damage type?
- How about if I have a Might aura on my character? Does the damage it adds get modified to non-physical, too?

Thanks in advance,

Tommi
Hammer of Atur
PvE/RP World of Warcraft Guild
Argent Dawn (European RP server), Alliance side

Dwarf Campaign
Awarded Custom Campaign for Warcraft III

Tommi's Diablo II information and guides
The de facto source of Diablo II game mechanics
Tommi,Mar 10 2003, 08:41 AM Wrote:I have been wondering how skills, such as Berserk and Fire Arrow, which modify the basic weapon damage from physical to another damage type (e.g. magical), exactly work. The questions I have in my mind:
- Do they modify all physical damage on the attack, or just the weapon damage?
- So, do the stat bonuses get also modified to another damage type?
- How about if I have a Might aura on my character? Does the damage it adds get modified to non-physical, too?

Thanks in advance,

Tommi
Not sure about fire arrow but for Berserk attack, the game basically calculate everything as normal (that is physical damage). Then at the end, it simply convert all physical damage to magical. I call it a dirty hack since they introduced a special flag passed along that manipulate damage afterwards. However, considering how they failed doing it correctly before, well, it is better than nothing. Personally I would have change the coding and general working of the game slightly to make it work the old way :)

But yes, stat bonuses get transfered into magical damage as well since the game actually calculate it all as physical to start with. Might should work too. All modifiers you have that increases physical damage will work, even critical hit I would say.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
A Might mercenary's aura would be converted with that attack as well?

gads.
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Nicodemus Phaulkon,Mar 10 2003, 09:12 AM Wrote:A Might mercenary's aura would be converted with that attack as well?

gads.
Two pallys with concentration and fanatacism, a druid with Heart of the Wolverine, mixed in with a Might merc...hoo boy! That would be something to see.

But of course, we'll never see this since it requires people to party and work together. And we all know that will never happen ;)
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
I have a question about berserk as well:

Does any elemental damage transfer into magic damage?

Does it turn into magic damage, is it lost completely, or does it still perform as usual?

Thanks
Baajikiil,Mar 10 2003, 06:12 PM Wrote:I have a question about berserk as well:

Does any elemental damage transfer into magic damage? 

Does it turn into magic damage, is it lost completely, or does it still perform as usual? 

Thanks
Only physical damage is transfered. Any other type of damage is handled normally and kept as is.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Quote:Two pallys with concentration and fanatacism, a druid with Heart of the Wolverine, mixed in with a Might merc...hoo boy! That would be something to see.

But of course, we'll never see this since it requires people to party and work together. And we all know that will never happen

Gosh, Striker... that's a nightly occurence where I play. :D

**edit***

Was curious, so I went out and rounded up some of my playmates' "big boys" for a Show of Force.

Level 21 HoW
Level 31 Concentration
Level 2x Fanaticism
Level 21 Berserk
Level 25ish Might (guessing on the Merc)

Barb was onehanding a CCB for 2634-7443 on the Lying Character Screen.

However, the Belle of the Ball was the werewolf, who was salivating over his 14k + damage with his Hellslayer.

Insanity.

**end edit**
Garnered Wisdom --

Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Hail Jarulf,

That's exactly how Fire Arrow works: all Physical Damage is converted to Fire Damage after it is calculated, but other-elemental/poison/special damage is still present in its normal form.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Nicodemus Phaulkon,Mar 10 2003, 03:12 PM Wrote:Gosh, Striker... that's a nightly occurence where I play.  :D
Then you're a lucky werewolf. I usually play on the realms on my own. I occasionally do venture out and try questing with others, but we all know how quickly that can deteriorate.

Quote:Was curious, so I went out and rounded up some of my playmates' "big boys" for a Show of Force.

Level 21 HoW
Level 31 Concentration
Level 2x Fanaticism
Level 21 Berserk
Level 25ish Might (guessing on the Merc)

Barb was onehanding a CCB for 2634-7443 on the Lying Character Screen.

However, the Belle of the Ball was the werewolf, who was salivating over his 14k + damage with his Hellslayer.

Insanity.

Wow. :blink: And think of how that would look if he was filled to the brim with elemental charms.
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Hail Striker,

Aye: add in elemental charms, and throw in a Vengance Paladin and it's ugly. Add a Necromancer, using either Amplify Damage or Lower Resistance as appropriate, and it's quite sickening.

Oh, and I probably should remind people that slvl21 HoW is the same as slvl20, due to that anoying little bug. If it were not, and someone had more +skills on their Werewolf, then it would be very, very scary ;)

Of cause, I still say Amazons are better Nico :P
Striker,Mar 10 2003, 08:25 AM Wrote:But of course, we'll never see this since it requires people to party and work together.  And we all know that will never happen  ;)
If you know some pallys and a druid who want to go for this I have an 80something berserk barb who wouldn't mind seeing his damage in the 15k++++ range. :lol:
Quote:Of cause, I still say Amazons are better Nico

Of course you would, wouldn't you... you pointy-eared little snip-nosed cricket-umpiring ...

*tips helm* ;)
Garnered Wisdom --

Quote:Then you're a lucky werewolf. I usually play on the realms on my own. I occasionally do venture out and try questing with others, but we all know how quickly that can deteriorate.

Actually, despite my wuffish avatar, I'm the paladin of the situation, usually.

Alas, it is yet another example of the effort awry that Blizzard has a multiplayer environment that is unsuitable for multiplayer play.

Come to Open, Striker. Despite the myopic observations of several of the youth, here... it remains the best choice for playing options. Rest assured that you would have several of us that would welcome you and play along with any new characters you'd invest in.

*tips helm*
Garnered Wisdom --

Nicodemus Phaulkon,Mar 10 2003, 11:16 PM Wrote:Come to Open, Striker.  Despite the myopic observations of several of the youth, here... it remains the best choice for playing options.  Rest assured that you would have several of us that would welcome you and play along with any new characters you'd invest in.
there are 2 things getting in the way.

1. The computer I use on a regular basis doesn't have D2 installed :( ...yet ^_^

2. Real life (school and work) is taking precedence right now. I usually play on Sundays as my "off days". What's quirky is that I still find some time to make posts on a semi-regular basis. Most aren't as involved as I would like and I don't make as many as I would like either *glances at Elric* ;)

Once things slow down a bit, we'll see how it goes.
-Dr. Nick Riviera