Counter FOH question
First question, Is FOH consider magic element?

If a Pally have like 40+ lvl of FOH, what can you do to reduce the FOH dmg?
A day without killing Diablo is not worth living.
Hail ouyang,

Fist of the Heavens is Lightning damage, with Holy Bolts (for harming undead).

Why would you want to reduce the damage? Well, if you dropped the +skills you must have on you to reach that slvl, the damage would be reduced. Or do you mean in PvP? In PvP, you'd need Lightning Resistance...though, if you just smacked the Paladin down, that's prevent them from hurting you to begin with :P

PS Bolty, can we reduce the timer on that anti-spam thing? It's REALLY getting on my nerves :angry: Hey, I'm not spamming: I'm helping people :D
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Oops, question already answered and I can't delete the post, please. Please ignore.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Quote:PS Bolty, can we reduce the timer on that anti-spam thing? It's REALLY getting on my nerves  Hey, I'm not spamming: I'm helping people 

Nononono NO NO NO... please, for the luva GAWD don't take that away! :o

Checks and balances! the Order of NATURE... the COLD WAR... all excellent examples of one force holding another in CHECK!

DO... NOT... LET... ELRIC... POST... FREELY!!! :blink:

I ask not for myself! But won't someone think of the CHILDREN??? WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!??

on a side note, Elf... type slower ;)

*tips helm*
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Elric, I was talking about PvP. I was killed by a Pally with one shot of FOH. My sorc has max lightning resist at 75% and life is about 1000. I finally realized how I got killed when I did some calculation. At lvl 40 FOH, lightning dmg is about 1600 and Convition at lvl 30 will take off 94% of defense away from opponant and -175% resists. ouch!
A day without killing Diablo is not worth living.
Yea, you need to stack a lot of resists to negate it. Some absorb would help too.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Archon_Wing,Mar 12 2003, 06:26 PM Wrote:Yea, you need to stack a lot of resists to negate it. Some absorb would help too.
Absorb does absolutely nothing against one-hit kills. Or more accurately your character needs to be down the amount of life to be absorbed before Absorb will do anything.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
I think you might be confused as to what absorb does. It does NOT absorb elemental damage in the form of healing power to your character. An item with absorb actually absorbs that amount of damage itself, i.e. negates it. For instance, say you are hit with 100 fire damage, and you have a ring with 30% fire absorb equiped. When you get hit, the ring reduces the damage by 30%, down to 70 dmg as if the ring itself had "absorbed" the damage. After this is when personal character resistances come in. Now say you have 50% fire resistance. The final damage is 70-70*50% = 35 dmg. Note how the damage reduced by resistances is only 35 dmg in this case, whereas it would have been 50 dmg without absorb. The TOTAL damage reduced is still greater with the absorb though (reduced to 35 dmg instead of just 50 dmg)
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
the Langolier,Mar 12 2003, 08:21 PM Wrote:I think you might be confused as to what absorb does.  It does NOT absorb elemental damage in the form of healing power to your character.  An item with absorb actually absorbs that amount of damage itself, i.e. negates it.  For instance, say you are hit with 100 fire damage, and you have a ring with 30% fire absorb equiped.  When you get hit, the ring reduces the damage by 30%, down to 70 dmg as if the ring itself had "absorbed" the damage.  After this is when personal character resistances come in.  Now say you have 50% fire resistance.  The final damage is 70-70*50% = 35 dmg.  Note how the damage reduced by resistances is only 35 dmg in this case, whereas it would have been 50 dmg without absorb.  The TOTAL damage reduced is still greater with the absorb though (reduced to 35 dmg instead of just 50 dmg)
Confused? Um.

Using your example . . .

Well for starters Resists are applied before Fire Absorb. Let's assume Fire Resist is 0% for the sake of simplicity and take them out of the equation.

Then your 100 damage get's 30% removed which is applied like a healing effect back onto the life if that much is already missing, then the remainder of the damage is applied as per normal.

This means the first shot with your figure to an unwounded character will yield a net of 100 damage. A second identical shot however will have a net effect of only doing 40 damage, because there was already harm there for it to heal. Essentially the character will heal 30 then suffer 70 in the space of a single hit.

I've tested quite thoroughly with Rising Sun up to sixty-something percent absorb for a Fire Elemental-style 'fire heal' and it definitely can heal.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Like they said, maximize your lightning resist, if the pally has a -175% conviction, you must have 75%+175% LR to get the most from your resistance. Likewise, you can use some maximum resist uppers to help lower the damage(Tgods, iratha's set, darkglow,guardian angel). If you are looking for absorb, go with the highest % absorb you can get, vs a number absorb.

Lightsaber goes a long way, it will effectively make you take 50% less damage from lightning
(25% of the damage is added to health from absorb, and that healing knocks off a coresponding 25% from the damage total).

For those unsure of how th absorb works, try it on a barb dual weilding lightsabers- he is 100% immune to lightning. I've tried it, he was immune to conviction LEBs. I'd assume that you must have enough initial health to surive the reduced blow, before the healing comes into effect. for example if an attack would have done 1000 damage, a lightsaber will reduce it to 750 damage, then add 250 pts to your life, netting you 500 damage total.

EDIT: Oh yes, before someone informed puts up a good order of calculations, I'll just mention that absorb definitely seems to go AFTER resists for me. A tgods or blackhorns(both have +20 lightning absorb), will make you immune to lebs and mslebs in hell, but a conviction leb will still waste you. I take that to mean that resists are taken into acount first.