Just got back to Diablo 1 and I need help....
Hi everyone. Much like many people, I have grown pretty bored of D2: LoD and decided to play D1 again. The article on www.diabloii.net comparing D2 and D1 gave me the urge to play D1 just like the good old days. It feels great to use my old Rogue (my favorite character class)!

Anyway, once I got back to playing my Rogue for a bit, I realize that I still haven't found/bought certain bows I wanted to add to my Rogue's arsenal. I used to remember the requirements and the places to get them but after years of not playing, I have forgotten already.

These are the bows I am looking for:

- Massive Long War Bow of Swiftness
- Merciless Long War Bow of the Heavens
- Emerald Long War Bow of the Heavens

What areas do I go to and what monsters do I kill to have a chance of finding each one of these bows? And if they can be bought from stores, what level should my character be (I remember clvl having to do with the items in stores) and which person do I go to (Grizwold or Wirt) to purchase each one?

Please help. Thank you.
Yashiro,Mar 15 2003, 08:04 AM Wrote:- Massive Long War Bow of Swiftness
- Merciless Long War Bow of the Heavens
- Emerald Long War Bow of the Heavens
Massive//Swiftness is a greatly desired bow. At clvl 20, Griswold can sell you this bow at 3 of his 6 slots IIRC.

My shopper came across some nice bows, although I've discarded many including a Brutal//Swift LWB ( My worst mistake )

Unfortunately Merciless//Heavens LWB cannot be generated in Classic Diablo because it exceeds Wirt's price cap of 135 K.

Your best option would be a Savage LWB of Heavens, purchased from Griswold.

I've already done some calculations using Diablo's Price Guide in which I found out that Merciless//Heavens LBB and Ruthless//Heavens SWB are buyable from Wirt, still you'll get a higher average damage using a Savage//Heavens LWB.

Emerald//Heavens LWB cannot be purchased from Wirt by the same reason of above. Still, there are nine unique bosses who can drop"Emerald" enchantments. ( Check JG for all mlvl 27+ unique monsters )

Hope that helped...
Except in pure mathematics, nothing is known for certain (although much is certainly false).

Carl Sagan, "The Demon Haunted World"
- Massive Long War Bow of Swiftness: Take a clvl 20 to 21 character, make sure (s)he as plenty of gold, and shop Gris until your index finger falls off. Getting a swiftness bow is easy enough, but getting such a specific one will not be easy at all.

- Merciless Long War Bow of the Heavens: You will not get this bow by any legitimate means. Like GPOW, it is Wirt only and too expensive for him to actually sell. Go for Savage LWB of Heavens instead. You can get that one at Gris with any high level character (clvl 26 to 50 for best results).

- Emerald Long War Bow of the Heavens: You're only chance here is a high level boss. Thus, your best chances are to do Laz runs. The odds are not in your favor, but at least you will find a couple dozen Windforces and Dreamflanges while you are trying to get it :) From a practical standpoint, you are more likely to find an obsidian LWB of heavens at Gris while you are shopping for the savage LWB of heavens, and two good obsidian items can get you to maximum resistances. From another practical standpoint, it really isn't that important for your bow to be a LWB. By the time your characters are powerful enough to find these bows, they can do a ton of damage even with a short bow.
Thank you very much for the help, Nystul and SteinHerz. A long time ago, I used to think that Emerald LWB of the Heavens and Merciless LWB of the Heavens were buyable from Wirt.

I guess my best bet is to hunt down the Massive Long War bow of Swiftness then. It's hunting time. :)

Oh! And one more thing, does it matter what difficulty I go to for shopping? At lvl 20, I can enter Nightmare too.
Quote:Oh! And one more thing, does it matter what difficulty I go to for shopping?

Nope.

-DeeBye
Quote:By the time your characters are powerful enough to find these bows, they can do a ton of damage even with a short bow.

Think durability :)
-Cytrex
You can find an aweful lot of hidden shrines in the time it would take to find an emerald LWB of heavens :)
Quote:You can find an aweful lot of hidden shrines in the time it would take to find an emerald LWB of heavens

Well, that might depend on your luck and where you go looking - you won't find many Hidden Shrines in the caves :P
I knew it! You actually bothered to read this signiture!