Legitimate players a thing of the past?
Up until a few months ago, I played this game every day. I have never used a hacked item, but I have transferred items from one character to another. A legitimate player to me, is a player who does not play with any items that are hacked in one way or another. Nor uses items found in a "drop mod", so twinking is ok, a little cheesy but not cheating.
I was just online trying to give some items away, uniques, a rare gothic bow, no one was interested in any of the items I had. Why would they be if they are using a bow that has 8,000 damage.
I tried for 25 minutes in 8 different games and did not give one item away.
This post is not really a question, I realize that there are many very honest players out there. I am just venting, so dissapointed to find that so many players cheat. I would not care in the least if Diablo II was not such a great game. It is strange for me to imagine never playing this game the way it is meant to be played, opening up the box, installing the game and start cheating from day one, I just can't imagine doing that.
Hail Longhunter,

Well, if there is anyone here who is not legit, then they'll likely be banned when they next speak of anything that is not particularly legit ;) Heck, about half the regs consider twinking cheating (the other half do not, so as you can imagine, there's been some long threads on that :P). By the way, legit doesn't necessarally mean they'd want a Gothic bow. You can be quite legit, and still desire the 'ultimate' gear in the game. I have a Windie on one of my characters: does that make them any less legit? Sure, their secondary weapon is a 23 Gothic, but still :P Try to organise some games with the people here: I think you'll find that there's different attitudes at the Lounge compared to the Battle.net pubbies :)
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Quote:By the way, legit doesn't necessarally mean they'd want a Gothic bow.

You have a Gothic Bow?!?

LUXURY!

When I was young, I used a Cracked Short Bow. I couldn't really aim with it, due to the lack of sleep. I slept on a pile of cactii. My breakfast consisted of warm gravel and stagnant pond water.
Warm gravel? One wonders why . . . If you had enough of a cactus supply for a bed, then surely you could have whipped up a half way decent cactus soup! :blink:
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Quote:My breakfast consisted of warm gravel

Ah ! You were lucky to have warm gravels ! My 23 brothers and myself, we had to breakfeast with half an mouthful of frozen gravel ! We had to work in the factory for 26 hours a day, and pay the landlord before he would let us work in his factory ! And when our father came back home, he would cut us in half with a saw, and dance the jig on the pieces ! And tell this to today's youngsters... They won't believe you !
Hail Corwin Brute,

At least your father *could* dance a jig. My father was a cripple: no arms, no legs, no head. He struggled long and hard in the mines. Even if he were not so handicapped, he would have been too malnourished to dance. After all, the only nourishment we ever got was from licking the mine-dirt from the bottom of his stubs. Well, at least until we sold our tongues into slavery: we got a piece of paper in exchange for them. As writing had not yet been invented, we were unable to read what would have been written on what would have been a cheque, so we ate it. Trouble was, that caused our one collective tooth to rot - it was too sweet I guess...
Eric of Grans, first of all I understand that there are many many people here who are legit and I am well aware of that. What I was getting at with the Gothic bow was that they didn't want it because everyone had something better, not unique or rare, but hacked.
II think what happened was that I was going to start playing the game again with a new character, went online to give some pretty nice gear away from a character I was going to retire and just ran into a horde of non-legit players.
I wasn't accusing anyone, I realize that this isn't something new, I was just venting as I said. I have met some very nice people from this forum and have enjoyed some coop play with them.

As for the warm gravel and stagnant pond water, holy crap, that must be nice, I could only dream of having warm gravel to eat.
Thanks for the replies.
Man, at least you guys had tounges to sell (and a collective tooth!) When I was little, all we had on the planet was water and we were all little blobs of green jelly that had the vast and complex structure of about five cells! I grew up without a dad, and mom was, by then, either grating me 5,000 other siblings or too buisy for me evolving into some sort of abomidable finned thing...

(Yes, I do realise that I can't spell worth beans. I just picked the wrong time period to write about, I guess...)
I knew it! You actually bothered to read this signiture!
You had FIVE cells? I was born to my mother 150000000000000000000000000000 generations ago, and after several google replications, evolved into my current form today. Back then, all we had to subsist on was water and air. And we practiced cannibalism, swallowing one another in the hopes of getting "improved" RNA...
You were ALIVE??? Man, some people get all the luck... I didn't become alive until... wait, I'm still not!

*Must have cheddar...!*
Longhunter,Mar 15 2003, 07:47 PM Wrote:I have never used a hacked item....
how true....how true....I myself was lucky to be playing with a gorup of <fairly> honest players. (i'm sure one person was using hacked/duped items, as we challenged him/her to a four-on-one duel with all of our chracter s only 3-4 levels below his.) Anyway, it felt good to know that there are still honest players in the realms of b.net. And of course, the lounge.

And by the way, you guys don't know what you're talking about. Why, back in my day, my parents would tie pieces of food on strings so that when I swallowed, they could pull it back out so I could eat it again. HA!
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. At least you'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes." ~?

Stonemaul - Sneakybast, 51 Rogue
Terenas - Sneaksmccoy, 1 Rogue

Sword of Omens, give me sight beyond sight!
i'm so legimate, i don't even have a stone of jordon. we are still here but find the game somewhat annoying to get through to the nice players.

i'll hope to hook with some of you legimate players sometime.
Your friend,

[Image: tufchicblackmat.gif]
You mean you ARE? You know, when I was young we were all crammed into this tiny small place all together, and I didn't become a particle until we all decided to kick each other and start expanding. That was quite a Bang.
In short response to your question, yes legits (like myself) are a thing of the past, cheaters are the "norm".

But god you spoiled rotten people, you all talk about this stuff before the bang, well before that there was absolutely nothing. Thats where we lived...

-Wapptor :lol:
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."
-- James Branch Cabell
You only remember back when there was nothing? Pah, whippersnapper. Before then we had to make do with nuthin' but the warm firmament of nothing. Nothing was a long way away when I was young.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Man, you gits are old. I grew up with a cellphone and food all over the table :P
Longhunter,Mar 16 2003, 05:47 AM Wrote:I was just online trying to give some items away, uniques, a rare gothic bow, no one was interested in any of the items I had. Why would they be if they are using a bow that has 8,000 damage.
Well, I play similarly to how you describe (I twink shamelessly but have never used any kind of hack). I also would not accept a gift of a rare gothic bow. It takes up a ton of space and would probably never be used as the uniques are so much more powerful than rares.

I don't think it's fair to assume they are all using hacked items. It is probably fair to assume that most people still playing DII have been playing quite a while and likely have a lot of items.

This isn't to say you aren't right. Sadly you may be right after the latest dupe craze. I haven't played since just before then so maybe the hacked items are just everywhere now. But just because they wouldn't take a rare gothic doesn't mean they have hacked items.
Back in my day, we didn't have firmament: even the void had not been created yet. Because there was nothing in existance, nothing took us an eternity to evolve into!
Yeah I think the recent duping spree really changed it. Some friend of mine (with whom I never trade because of stuff like this) got himself 10 free stones of jordan and a couple of wind forces and a ton of items i'll never see, because even tho he was not playing during the duping thing, after he found out such items are given away like candy, he came back and plays with all elite free gear. Its free because the duping was so rampant.

Me? I was so pissed I threw everything i had on the ground and let it rot, even my 1 legit (nightmare council dropped it) SOJ. Even more prized was my +3 summons (druid) circlet with +1 to dire wolf and +1 to solar creeper. I just threw it all on the ground in disgust. Whats the point?

I've enjoyed playing again from scratch on gear (I kept 2 characters but not their gear) and i worked up from chipped topaz stuff to where now I can item run again. It has been fun. Made me feel better. Still dont know exactly why I did it tho. :) At least I didnt delete all my characters this time ... just most of them.

Anyway, I'm centered again.

It is hard to find legit players. My friend (co-worker) who shamelessly uses dupes and mh and hacked items, I will sometimes cow with him but I never accept items from him. Ah well.

Lewis
Lewis
aka *westcats, USWest, SC
aka *sevencats, *weirdcats, USEast, SC
Dupes suck...they ruined the game....IM totally legit Item user, and am always interested in cowing with the same types of peeps....So the offer is out to anyone...wisper me whenever for a few cow runs, and a conversation about the dupers/hackers collapsing on their own weight :).....Goodness knows the cow games with the few peeps I play with from here get interesting ;) (As usual thanks again Conner;))

J
*NERDmanWhippy on Us East