Taunt= PI?
I've been hearing rumors that if someone were to get a high level of taunt, the damage reduction would be above 100% and thus you would take no damage from physical attacks. Has anyone actualy tried this?

And does -101% damage mean they heal you?
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/in...=21154&hl=taunt
Does taunt have any effect in PvP? Imagine a PI barb withvery high resistances and slightly...no MUCH.... less focus on offense. Hmmmmm..... Equipment and skills would look something like this. (Dream setup)

Taunt-20
Natural Resist-20 (strange but necessary)
WW-Max
Mastery(sword or axe--CCB, CCS, Zerker Axe)
Prereqs
Battlecry-extras

Skin of the vipermage (Lo)
2 UM Mosers Blessed circle
Thundergods vigor
10 howling charms of ............
10 shimmering small charms of ..........
Harlquin crest(Lo???)
wedding bands (or sojs???)
Mara's ammy
+3 WC sword--- 3 x 15% res jewels
Infernostride
venom grip

Admitedly, I didn't do MUCH research into this equipment, as I have my doubts whether taunt is useful for PvP.
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
I doubt it will work. AI-style "curses"(confuse, terror, conversion) usually don't affect players. Battle-Cry might work though, since it won't affect AI.
You need Taunt level 49 to get the -101% effect anyway. At slvl 50, the stats for both skills are:

Taunt:
Target's Damage: -103%
Target's Attack: -103%

BattleCry:
Target's Damage: -74%
Target's Defense: -148%

Note that at this point, BattleCry has caused the target to be essentially ITD(and possibly even ITD to characters of much lower clvl than the target)

To ACHIEVE slvl 50:

+1 from Battle Command
+2 SoJ(+1 per SoJ)
+2 Arkaine's Valor
+3 Warcries Helmet
+3 Skill-specific Helmet(on the same helmet of course!)
+3 Amulet
+6 (2*Echoing swords with +3 to warcries each)
+10 (Sounding Grand Charms)
Total:
+30 to X skill, +27 to all warcries.

And 20 in the specific skill of course! The advantages of using Battle Cry over Taunt are of course, that your opponent becomes ITD at some point, and it affects players(and bosses!) as well as monsters. I think. I'll have to test this out later. Seriously though, Slvl 50 WarCry? O_o 59 mana per shot, 390-400 damage per hit, and 10.8 seconds stun! OUCH! For both sides!
Can you increase the speed of your war cry with IAS or casting speed? If so, this could be the start of a new sub-character class :D First Taunt them so they can't hit or hurt you, then war cry away... Don't bother with any weapon skills or iron skin because nothing can hit you anyways ;) Just max natural resists and increased running speed (or whatever its called) and your good to go.. lol
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Who would need to taunt or BC them when Warcry is doing a full 10.8 second stun per cast? :P The only time you'd even WANT to use taunt would be to bring ranged characters closer so they can be stunlocked by the WC! :P
I would just like to say that Taunt and BC is much less effective against Fanat and Might enchanted monster due to the fact the -%dmg (partially)canceles the enhanced damage of the auras.
AtomicKitKat,Mar 17 2003, 08:11 AM Wrote:Who would need to taunt or BC them when Warcry is doing a full 10.8 second stun per cast? :P The only time you'd even WANT to use taunt would be to bring ranged characters closer so they can be stunlocked by the WC! :P
Well, I was joking when I was reffering to making this sub-class (because of all the items required), however, I believe if your intention was to do cows, then Taunt would be a grand skill to have. If you taunted the cows, then you could round them up w/out fear of getting murdered and war cry away once you have a good sized mob - in the center of them I might add. The gear required would be hard to come by, but possible for anyone.

Lets consider what is required:

REQUIREMENT - ACCESSIBILITY (Easy, Medium, Hard)
2 x SOJ - EASY; While they (may) or may not be legit, they are very accessible and tradable for a few chiped gems these days

2 x Echoing Swords - EASY; I see then for sale about once a day in hell, so I don't think these would be hard to find at all.

10 x Sounding Charms - HARD; very hard. You'll have to MF all day long and hope you find enough stuff to trade for just one charm. Getting an inventory filled with 10 will take at LEAST 3 weeks-3 months depending on how good you barter.

Magical Barbarian Helmet; +3 Barbarian Skills; +3 Taunt/Warcry - MEDIUM; not quite as hard as filling up your inventory with 10 Sounding Charms, but still definetly way up there. On a side note, after a solid month of searching for my paladins Grand Scepter with +3 Paladin Skills, +3 Blessed Hammer, and +3 Concentration, I found one - but then again, you can't exactly search the shops for this one either... Maybe this one should be HARD? Thoughts?

Amulet; +3 Barbarian Skills - EASY; I seem to find these +3 skill amulets somewhere between cows, mf'ing, and rushing my friends. For some reason, I thought only Diablo in hell could drop them, but I ID them often enough to know that hes not the only one.

Armor +1 Skills - EASY; Now if I'm correct, 49 is all you need for 101% DR, correct? So VALOR would be ideal, but is NOT neccessary here. Viper magi or anyother armor that adds +1 to your skills would work just fine. This makes finding armor with +1 EASY, but a valor HARD.

Battle Command - No skills required :P
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Actually, Silks of the Victor gives +1 to all skills, and I found one WAAAAY back in Classic(before I bought a legit CD), from either Diablo or the Cow King. So that can be considered medium-easy, since you need around 24-30 to get the item to drop...

On a semi-related note, I used my brother's Necro to do YET ANOTHER Brothers run, and Diablo dropped me:

Demonhide Sash

Yes, the fabled SoE. :P Granted, it's not perfect(Guide says 15% DR, mine is 13%, guide says 8% life stolen per hit mine is 6%, guide: +170% Enhanced Def and mine is 154%, guide says 15MDR mine is only 10) Actually, come to think of it, my SoE is all worse than what the guide says. LOL. Unless they changed the stats... I'll go check the AS after this.