What to do with this?
I recently found this:

[Image: hellslayer.jpg]

Now, after recovering my jaw from the floor, I paused to consider the uses of this axe - obviously it wouldn't be much use for long if I jumped straight in :) However, I'm not fabulously rich by any standards, so would it be worth bowing and scraping until I can socket it with a zod? Does the low minimum damage make it pointless? Does the slow attack speed make it prohitive? Or should it make an expensive gift for Charsi?

Your opinions please, bearing in mind that axes are the coolest looking weapons :P
Well, first off, DO NOT SELL WEAPON THAT TO CHARSI. :D

What you have there is one of the highest damage melee weapons around, albeit one of the slower ones as well. Quite functional as a Werewolf Druid weapon, and I'm sure that it would work on an Axe Barb or Charger pretty well also. It's unfortunate that you really need a Zod to make it work, but I would really try getting one. Or wait for 1.10 to introduce a quest reward that makes items indestructible. :)

If you really can't manage the Zod...I dunno, hold onto it for posterity. :)
USEAST: Werewolf (94), Werebear (87), Hunter (85), Artimentalist (78), Meleementalist (76, ret.)
USEAST HCL: Huntermentalist (72), Werewolf (27)
Single Player HC: Werewolf (61, deceased), Werewolf (24)
That is a totally awesome weapon....Ive had them before, and have not had a Zod....I would hold onto it and possibly make a character for it... (Axe/ww barb or Chargeadin).....The thing with a charger is that for PVM, a high level charge should make your AR so high, that Eth Rune is non important...PLUS I think the fireball level (level 20) is perfect....Im not 100% sure if it varies, but I think it does...

J
*NERDmanWhippy on Us East
Use it on your favourite melee character until it turns yellow and then throw it on a mule until the day comes when you can figure out a way to save it from disintegrating

At least you will get 30 minutes of being the biggest baddest wolf in town ;)
It is worth waiting for the Zod. I had a barb that used an ethereal Zod Hellslayer, and then I traded him in for a vengeance paladin (SaggyMorals!!!!) who used it for vengeance.

There's something humbling to other players about being hit for like 20k damage a hit . . . :) Ultra-Tank is the only player I know who could survive a hit from SaggyMorals :)
I'd say use it on a Paladin or Barbarian since you can raise their attack speed up significantly using non-weapon IAS, particularly on a Paladin, because of Fanaticism. Some people would say to use it on a Werewolf, but I've found that since Wereforms get a lot more benefit from weapon IAS than non-weapon IAS, it's still really slow, even with fury. :lol:
-TheDragoon
Even so, Dragoon, didn't you rank the Zodslayer as one of the best damage/time weapons for a Werewolf?
USEAST: Werewolf (94), Werebear (87), Hunter (85), Artimentalist (78), Meleementalist (76, ret.)
It is one of the best damage/time weapons. But at the same time, I would never touch it with a 5 foot pole if playing a Wereform due to its horrendously slow speed. I would think it would be a lot more fun on a Paladin (Charge rocks!) or a Barbarian since it could probably go faster than on a Werewolf. :)
-TheDragoon
...but you have to understand: Speed is life. Speed is addictive. Speed is SPEEEEEEEEEEED, man!

When you see the blur that a maxxed-framerate Fury accomplishes... there's no turning back. Cranium Basher, Hellslayer, Mess' Reaver... yes yes... all nice.

But not FAST. Not THAT fast. There's a certain sense of huge satisfaction knowing that you're ripping your opponent to shreds... by shredding. If you want a one punch wonder... build a bear. Go take a Berserker out for a spin.

Alas. The Road to Ruin is well mapped...
Goreshovel...
Hwanin's Justice...
Ribcracker...
IKOgreMaul...

Oh, I've tried! A Silence'd Ogre Maul, both the big axes, even Phase blades. I've tried. But the speed isn't there. Watching the animation under those framerates causes my eyelids to itch. TOOO.... BLOODY... SLOWWWWW....

It's all about Whappity Factor. And Whappity Factor demands speed. The more, the better. It's the same disease that haunts us to build our Feral Rage up to huge slvls, as well. Ground speed is addictive as much as weapon speed. Having life leech in the 50-60 percentiles ain't bad either.

My name is Nicodemus Phaulkon, and I am a speed junkie. Arooooooooooooo, and good night.

*tips helm*
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
I use IK Maul, too, Nicodemus. :) Just advocating the devil.

(by the way, IK isn't technically a maxed framerate Fury. It's close, yes, but you can do better. The best viable weapon that fits that description would be a Cruel Giant Thresher of Quickness, 2 shaels. The actual maxed framerate weapon would be a 110% IAS Phase Blade)
;) I've never held a Giant Thresher of any description, much less the beauty you describe. They seem to be of unsurpassing rarity.

The Phase Blade you describe, though, I have tried that. Was a bit akin to defeating an M1 Abrahms Tank with a coked-up woodpecker. Amusing, but ultimately tiring.

My addiction to Crushing Blow is second only to my addiction to speed... so a man must make compromises. ;)

*tips helm*
Garnered Wisdom --

Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
No worries, Fenris understands the need for speed. :lol: Now, I notice one weapon you don't list as having tried: Buriza-Do Kyanon. I'd suggest you give it a shot sometime... it's quite a bit of fun. :)
-TheDragoon
Quote:Was a bit akin to defeating an M1 Abrahms Tank with a coked-up woodpecker.
That is one of the many things in life that I have yet to see, but desperately wish that I could. :D
I also neglected to mention Athena's Wrath as well (*rubs butt from where Chameleon kicked him in the pants on that score*).

Chalk it up to Withdrawal Symptoms. Was shortly after I posted that when I found I simply HAD to romp through Act 5 Hell with wuffy. It had been too long.

*tips helm*
Garnered Wisdom --

I loved the rant man, AND I AGREE FULLY AND COMPLETELY, whappity is what matters, Fury, is beautiful, my now-retired palli brought tears to my eyes. Now I've found speedassins. Take one out for a whirl, they can really, kick up a storm!(heeheehee)
Is the zod rune bug still in around?

If it is, take that into consideration before using that axe. If I remember correctly, the bug made zod runes not work on ethereal items if the item was missing any durability. If this is the case, don't use the axe until you socket it with a zod.
USWest Hardcore Realms
Accounts: mikedok5, mikedok6
Quote:Is the zod rune bug still in around?

The zod bug affects all items that have a mod of "Enhanced Durability".....Etheral B-star is one of the items that will break, and waste a zod rune...Hellslayer is cool to Zod, and no matter if it has only 1 Durab left when zodd'd, will be totally fine to use then, and will not break again ever ;)

J
*NERDmanWhippy on Us East
What to do with it??? Why of course, give it to me! :P
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."
-- James Branch Cabell