Questions about Single Player
Hello all,
I'm a newbie to the forum. I have a couple questions about single player for Diablo.

1. I have been trying to find a Obs. ring of the Zod. doing some Laz runs and haven't been able to find any. I was wondering where is the best place to find one and at what level player would you have to be, in single player? Laz and his two women have been dropping crap, except for a Windforce and Demonspike Coat. :D The other stuff was ok.

2. I usually skip several of the upper levels and the catacombs. I usually do my run through levels 12, 13, 14 and 15. Will skipping the higher levels affect the drops on the lower levels in singular player?

No offense Jarulf, dropping items topic in your guide was confusing for me. :)

Thanks for your input, if any. CoLd
Levels 15 and 16. Doesn't matter much in the Difficulty Levels in that instance. The bosses of Level 15, any Soul Burners that pop up in Level 15, the Advos in the Lazarus chamber, and then anyone (except the Black Knight) on level 16 have a chance of dropping it.

Doesn't hurt popping every decapitated corpse or chest on Level 15 either. I can't confirm it without a scanner, but the Ob/Zod amulet on my Warrior may have been pulled out of a Large Chest on Level 15. During that run, Cabalists and Soul Burners populated the level. I drew two amulets from that run: one from a fallen enemy, the other from the aforementioned Large Chest. The thing is, as best as I remember the amulet I got from battle was dropped by a Cabalist, not a Soul Burner. If true, then my Ob/Zod was the one from the chest. But I cannot be certain of that if I cannot confirm the drop source of the amulet.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Hi,

Rhydderch Hael pretty much answered your "where" question.

However, what he failed to mention is the *very* low probability of finding an Obs/Zod ding. Most players have found only one or two in years of playing. I have played since a month after the game came out (Feb., '97) and have probably taken over 300 characters to level 30ish. I've never found an Obs/Zod. People that I know that have multiple level 50 characters have never found an Obs/Zod. So, if you expect to find one "doing some Laz runs", good luck. Try doing very many Laz runs for a very long time. Probably more time than you would care to invest in a single player character.

As to skipping levels, that doesn't matter. Everything about the dungeons (but not town) is set by the date and time you start the game.

Finally, you do realize that you can play multi-player solo off line? The advantage to single player is that you get many more of the quests (all you get in multi is Butch, Leo, Laz and Diablo). The advantage to multi is that the monsters are harder, there are three difficulty levels, and you can pretty much choose where you want to play (limited by character level). Just thought I'd mention it in case you didn't know ;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Yes, Rhydderch Hael pretty much nailed the usual places where they dropped.

On single player, I don't know but the values for one dropping should be similar to multiplay. Of all the 6 years I've been playing, I've only found two Obs/Zod Rings. Both were in Level 15, one from a small chest (brown box with gold linings), and the other was from Blackjade in Lazarus's room in Normal diffulcity. I forgot the difficulty for the one I found in the chest.

Although it sounds easy, it's not what it seems like. For me, these two dropped when the least expected!
Difficulty won't matter the affix generation.

Still, there is a comment that was very valuable added by Nystul, in which he says that if you try to actively seek any affix combo, you will found out that any potential affix combination can be considered "rare".

For instance, try searching for Ravens//Balance at church or Saphire//Titans at Hell.

Still, Zodiac jewelry are even rarer because of the decreased number of monsters that are abled to drop - in that case mlvl 30 normal monsters or mlvl 26+ unique monsters.

I've been playing for 9 months, the best preffixed Zodiac jewel I've ever found is my perfect Crystal//Zodiac ring. Also, I've never found a single mana//Zodiac jewel.

Still, I've already I'ded a couple of Gold//Heavens which you can consider rarer or as rare as Obs//Zods since only one unique monster and mlvl 25 monsters can drop it.
Except in pure mathematics, nothing is known for certain (although much is certainly false).

Carl Sagan, "The Demon Haunted World"
Hello. Also, since you are playing single player, you could buy them from Griswold, but you have to be at least level 28. Thank you for your time. Farewell.
-scrape
How about them apples? They say they do not fall far from the tree, and that one can spoil the whole bunch. Well I say we may not all be rotten, but we are all spoiled.
degrak.com
degrak youtube
Gak! You new here, or a lurker, or am I a moron?
I knew it! You actually bothered to read this signiture!
New to the Lurker Lounge, but i have been playing Diablo for about 8 months. About the multiplayer offline, my stepfather is always online. Do you actually have to be connected to the internet to play offline. (silly question but i don't know how too.) Thanks for all ya'lls input.
CoLd :)
Geladrius, I have been lurking for a long time.

CoLd, you do not have to be connected. You can choose any of the methods besides Battle.net to play by yourself. However, if you wanted to play on Battle.net (or using the other three methods to play with other people), then you would have to meet the requirements.
-scrape
How about them apples? They say they do not fall far from the tree, and that one can spoil the whole bunch. Well I say we may not all be rotten, but we are all spoiled.
degrak.com
degrak youtube
coLd,

You can just try any of the other options in multiplay and solo there yourself. Those characters used on those options (LAN, Direct, Modem2Modem) can also be used on Battle.net.
CoLd,Mar 22 2003, 08:57 PM Wrote:... About the multiplayer offline, my stepfather is always online. Do you actually have to be connected to the internet to play offline. ...
Happily, you don't need a connection to play Multiplayer. I've been playing Diablo multiplayer games before I even had an Internet connection.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
>However, what he failed to mention is the *very* low
>probability of finding an Obs/Zod ding.

I don't remember the exact calcs, but I think that on average you need to take some 5 or so characters to level 50 to find one. So yes, very rare :)
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
well I'm new to the forum but I'm a bit confused on how vendors generate their items, from what I see grizwold generates the ilvl of his items in the range [clvl-1,clvl+2] and then the qlvl is determined in the range [(ilvl+4)/2,ilvl+4] so for a qlvl 24(obsidian) prefix with a qlvl 30(zodiac) suffix would the minimum level this is possible at be lvl 24? And would the optimal level to be buying this be the 36-37? Or if you're in multiplayer and want a qlvl 10(bastard sword) with a qlvl 28(King's) Prefix and a qlvl 19(speed) suffix would the minimum clvl for it to be generated at be lvl 22 and the optimal level be the clvl 33-34 range? please help the Jarulfs guide is really hard to understand when it comes to this

EDIT: Oh yea I play the psx version of diablo so I can switch between single player and multiplayer whenever I want :D but can't keep my unique items :P
Malecow was slain by a mind numbing number crunching algorithm

Diablo 1 experience table diablo 1 ac table
I tried modem to modem and started a new character today on multiplayer. Thanks for all ya'lls help again. I guess i have a lot of playing time to find an obs. zodiac jewel. :)
malecow,Mar 23 2003, 09:33 PM Wrote:would the minimum level this is possible at be lvl 24? And would the optimal level to be buying this be the 36-37?
Actually, you always need to see you need to base your calculations on the highest qlvl affix. In that case, you are not only trying to purchase "Obsidian" also the Zodiac suffix.

The minimum level you need to be in that case in 28. That because "Of the Zodiac" is qlvl 30, and Griswold's sixth slot ilvl definition is clvl+2.
On this specific case, he can only sell you in the sixth slot.

28+2=30 which is the requirement for Zodiac.

The optimal level would be at the moment he may offer you this jewel at all slots.
Except in pure mathematics, nothing is known for certain (although much is certainly false).

Carl Sagan, "The Demon Haunted World"
Hi, CoLd,

Just a quick note - the 'modem to modem' selection will work, but just be aware that if anyone calls your phone number while you are playing this way, the game will 'answer' the phone, and your caller will get an earful of modem screeching! [this is intentional -- if you have a local friend, you can play together this way over the regular phone line without long-distance charges, and without internet connection]

I realized the disadvantage of using the 'modem-to-modem' mode after my elderly mother complained a couple of times about the 'awful noise' she'd get when she called me - and that I was never home!! :)

The 'serial' option might be the best choice. If you have at least some network components installed in your operating system (even if you're not hooked up to a network), the network option will probably work as well.

Regards,

Dako-ta

Newbies are invited to check out my website, which includes a Glossary of slang, jargon, and acronyms used here, plus other useful stuff like SoulToucher's handy-dandy Experience Point Table, several guides, etc.

http://home.att.net/~diablo.miscellanea/

[heh, for old-time's sake - sig not used since before the DSF died]