Townkill
This is a rather old story, I was bloorunning in nm 4 months ago and there was a pk, suddenly I saw "townkill has been activated" :o on my screen and someone scared the pk away with that.
He used it for a good purpose though and I wished he killed him ,but it still disturbing to know it exists.
I've only seen it once though, but I'm sure many of you guys like to know this !!!
Did this by any chance happen to look a lot like the messages that go:

Exit_Stage_Left has left the world. Diablo's minions weaken
and
This_Guy_Died was slain by Quill Rat

If so, could it be possible that what you saw might be a relatively harmless message hack? Just a thought. ;)
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Maybe it even said:

"This_guy_died: Townkill has been activated!"
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
No it was in red (hostile colour) ..... :blink: but it's something which I should be told, because you'll never know what hacks are out there nowadays.... :( Let's hope it was one of text hacks though...
There are hacks that produces messages in different colours than the standard.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
my guess is that it was just the color hack
I can totally explain this but will I get banned for discussing a hack type program?
Malecow was slain by a mind numbing number crunching algorithm

Diablo 1 experience table diablo 1 ac table
Hail malecow,

From the Rules:
"No cheating allowed.
If you cheat in multiplayer games, you are not welcome to read or post at the Lurker Lounge. We ask you to respect the administrators' and posters' feelings on this matter and go to another site with less stringent rules against cheaters. However, if you choose not to respect our wishes, don't be surprised when you are met with extreme hostility from gamers who like to play games the way they are meant to be played. If you are ever caught admitting to cheating, you will be banned on sight.
"

On the other hand, if there is some hack out there we should be aware of and avoiding, letting people know things like "If you get a text message on screen saying `T3H 1337 B0LTY 0WNZ3Z UR P0STZ,' then leave the forum before you get autokilled." Or something like that. Don't worry: if you post something you shouldn't, we'll react - or perhaps that is why you should worry ;) Mentioning hacks for a legitimate purpose (eg warnings, rants, etc) is acceptable: using them, or advocating as much, is not.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
It's a color hack, you can be sure of that! A town-kill (which is server-side impossible, btw) would not, and I promise you this, say, "town kill" AT ALL! You would just die, and nothing would be said. As stated above, there are ways of doing this to make it look legit, but in the end, they are all scams! Don't trust anyone on b.net!
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
In Blizzard's case, server-side doesen't eliminate the possibility of such cheats, just reduces them. I mean, heck, people even got Open characters onto the realm at one point.